FX 8350 Overclocking Walkthrough

Lazmarr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I have just built a new system and I am wanting a walkthrough to overclocking my FX 8350. My system is as follows;

CPU: AMD FX 8350

CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2

RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LP (2x4Gb)

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

HDD: Seagate Baracude Sata III 2TB

GPU: Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb QP

Solution
The particular mobo can easily overclock @ 4.33Ghz by just going into the bios and choose the optimal button from the UI. That easy. Do you want to overclock it further than that?

girogalllas

Honorable
May 12, 2013
The particular mobo can easily overclock @ 4.33Ghz by just going into the bios and choose the optimal button from the UI. That easy. Do you want to overclock it further than that?

Solution

Lazmarr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Ok I'm going to lay the cards out straight I'm a total n00b when it comes to OC'ing CPU's.
I got a reply on another forum about changing bus speeds and bus multipliers and stuff.
Infact here's the post
Please don't only CPU multiplier OC on an AMD chip. You gotta play with the bus speed too boys. Smh, personally if you want to go for the highest speed possible, I would recommend dropping the multiplier, and cranking the bus speed up, once you've done that, start raising the multiplier back up to an OC'd frequency. For starters try running a 225 - 250 bus with a multiplier that will bring you somewhere around 4.2-4.4 Ghz. You may have to play with the voltage if you're near 4.4 Ghz. Also keep in mind that raising the bus speed will OC your North Bridge, RAM, and Hyper Transport Bus. Run dividers on those, around 230ish they should be back around stock with 1 divider being run. RAM you can usually OC up to an extra 100 Mhz with no issues. You could run a divider on the RAM too if you wanted to play it safe.
Can someone please explain to me what it all means, I plan to OC when I get a new GFX card :p

girogalllas

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Its not necessary to do all that stuff. The mobo that you chose makes overclocking so easy that my 3yearold nephew could do it. Just do what i said and you will be ok. If your cooler can take it and want to overclock more... then try the forum again. But its not needed to change the multiplier and bus speed as the motherboard does it for you. I hope this helped.