Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I need better fan speed control on my Core i5 4670K

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a c 106 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 12:59:37 PM

So I have this new system and I have been dabbling with OCing it. I have the CPU set to 125 X 32 = 4.0 GHz and the memory is running at 2,000 MHz.

As a quick and dirty test I tried the memory "Stress Test" in the MSI-Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. The memory didn't seem to have a problem but the temp. on the CPU shot up to 90 C.! And the CPU cooling fan was only idling!

I know that this stock Intel fan will run faster because I hear it rev up when I boot the system, but I cannot find a setting that controls it.

There is a setting in the BIOS for "Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitoring" but the only choices are enable/disable.

Does anybody know how to ramp up my fan speed when the CPU is at 90 C.?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 1:01:59 PM

Are you attempting to over clock on a factory cooler? Not a good idea.

But I use a program called Speed Fan to control my CPU fan speed manually.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 1:12:12 PM

Unless you have a specific app that takes advantage of it, there's no point in clocking the RAM above 1600MHz. It does nothing of note for games (realize it's 1155 socket but haven't seen anything to the contrary for 1150):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-...
Related resources
a c 106 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 1:23:12 PM

fatboytyler said:
Are you attempting to over clock on a factory cooler? Not a good idea.

But I use a program called Speed Fan to control my CPU fan speed manually.

I have Speed Fan but I cannot see how to control the fan manually. How do you do it?

Thanks,

Yogi

a c 106 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 1:36:02 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Unless you have a specific app that takes advantage of it, there's no point in clocking the RAM above 1600MHz. It does nothing of note for games (realize it's 1155 socket but haven't seen anything to the contrary for 1150):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-...

Thank you, Jed!

I hear what you're saying. There isn't much difference but there is a slight difference and I'll take every little bit that I can get!

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 1:45:37 PM

On the main screen there should be some PWM options on the left hand side about 3/4 of the way down. PWM1 should be your CPU header, unless for whatever reason your Motherboard's CPU fan/fan input is not PWM (4 Pin). Is this doesn't work then the Speedfan isn't configured properly. What motherboard do you have?
a c 106 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 3:17:06 PM

fatboytyler said:
On the main screen there should be some PWM options on the left hand side about 3/4 of the way down. PWM1 should be your CPU header, unless for whatever reason your Motherboard's CPU fan/fan input is not PWM (4 Pin). Is this doesn't work then the Speedfan isn't configured properly. What motherboard do you have?

I've played with this for about the past 2 hours and read the help file from front to back. It looks like I can raise the CPU fan speed to about 2,000 RPMs, but that is it. That is with the fan speed raised to 100% in the speed setting. I am about to give up on Speed Fan.

BTW, my MB is an MSI Z87-G43.

Thanks for trying to help me, Tyler!

Yogi

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 4:17:56 PM
Share

If I am not mistaken, 2000 RPM is roughly the max RPM for the stock cooler.

Also, if I am not mistaken that bios is the exact same as mine. So you should be able to go into the hardware monitor section of the bios and edit the temperature target and minimum fan speeds from there.
a c 106 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 5:15:11 PM

fatboytyler said:
If I am not mistaken, 2000 RPM is roughly the max RPM for the stock cooler.

Also, if I am not mistaken that bios is the exact same as mine. So you should be able to go into the hardware monitor section of the bios and edit the temperature target and minimum fan speeds from there.


I am beginning to think that you're right about the max RPM. It may be the fan in the PSU that I hear spooling up on boot.

I found the Hardware Monitor section of the BIOS. I never noticed that before. Temps are set to 40C. min and 70C max.

Thanks again, Tyler!

Yogi

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 5:28:09 PM

When you first boot typically all your fans are set to 100% for a bit, so that could certainly be a possibility. As for the bios settings its real nice and you have more options then me apparently, but I'm on a MSI Z77-G41.

Since you are over clocking I would suggest an aftermarket cooler. Here is one that is cheap and performs with the more expensive ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Just be sure you have a big enough case and yes, it is socket 1150 ready.

And its no problem! I enjoy this stuff!

Also, don't forget to mark a solution so that way we know this has been solved as much as we can get it!
a c 106 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2013 5:42:33 PM

fatboytyler said:
When you first boot typically all your fans are set to 100% for a bit, so that could certainly be a possibility. As for the bios settings its real nice and you have more options then me apparently, but I'm on a MSI Z77-G41.

Since you are over clocking I would suggest an aftermarket cooler. Here is one that is cheap and performs with the more expensive ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Just be sure you have a big enough case and yes, it is socket 1150 ready.

And its no problem! I enjoy this stuff!

Also, don't forget to mark a solution so that way we know this has been solved as much as we can get it!


I'll have a look at that cooler.

Thank you, Tyler!

Yogi

!