Solved

i5-3350p vs fx-8350 future proofing ( PS4 Xbox One are comming)

I was thinking which one of these is better for future proofing my PC? fx-8350 25 bucks more expensive where I live, and I originally wanted to go with i5, but I noticed that some next gen devs said that fx-8350 will be much better for next gen.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

p.s. Don't tell me to wait, I'm upgrading from a toaster :D
p.p.s. I don't plan to overclock (ever)
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3350p 8350 future proofing ps4 xbox comming
  1. if youre not going to oc go for the i5 it has a much better single core performance
  2. Yeah but next gen games are supposed to use multiple cores much more efficiently. From the article I linked at the beginning: http://i.imgur.com/0q1wdND.png
  3. I would suggest u an fx 8350 cpu
    Reasons
    1.it can outperform a 3350p
    2. Eight core advantage


    U must be reading that people say that "theres no need for eight core there is no game foreseable future that could even utilize 4 cores at their full potential"
    This statement is UNTRUE

    Even present games like crysis 3 utilizes full 6 cores of phenom ll 1090t so u ll need a eight core for future proofing
    This is the reason that future consoles like xbox1 and ps4 wuold be having 8 cores
  4. zivlaks said:
    I was thinking which one of these is better for future proofing my PC? fx-8350 25 bucks more expensive where I live, and I originally wanted to go with i5, but I noticed that some next gen devs said that fx-8350 will be much better for next gen.

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

    p.s. Don't tell me to wait, I'm upgrading from a toaster :D
    p.p.s. I don't plan to overclock (ever)


    Tom's tested crysis 3 and a slower i5-3550 do just as well as FX8350.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-8.html
  5. rgd1101 said:
    zivlaks said:
    I was thinking which one of these is better for future proofing my PC? fx-8350 25 bucks more expensive where I live, and I originally wanted to go with i5, but I noticed that some next gen devs said that fx-8350 will be much better for next gen.

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

    p.s. Don't tell me to wait, I'm upgrading from a toaster :D
    p.p.s. I don't plan to overclock (ever)


    Tom's tested crysis 3 and a slower i5-3550 do just as well as FX8350.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-8.html


    That's really weird because I found this:

    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/Crysis-3-Test-CPU-Benchmark-1056578/
    and this
    http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html
  6. Best answer
    Truth be told, as both the PS 4 and the XBOX ONE will both feature an 8-core APU, the advantage of 8-cores suddenly becomes viable. Elder games didn't support that many cores, due to the fact that previous gen consoles only had 3-cores.

    Usually I would recommend an Intel CPU due to it's better single-core performance, better effiency and overall just superior in every way (but the cores), now as both upcoming consoles will likely mean games will take advantage of 8-cores. Therefore I would certainly this time around get the FX 8350, just make sure to get a motherboard that supports PCI-E 3.0 for maximum GPU performance, as many AM3/AM3+ doesn't have this feature.

    The i5-3350p will still be a viable CPU though, the 8-core APUs will only feature frequencies of 1.6 GHz.
  7. zivlaks said:


    Read those too. TechSpot didn't post the min frame and pcgameshardware using low end GPU(1280x720)
    It look to me if you use a low(mid?) range GPU to run it in low resolution, FX8350 is better.
  8. Since I'm on a budget it was hard for me to find a PCI v3.0 mobo. Then I found this article:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7970-pci-e-3-0-vs-pci-e-2-0-comparison
  9. zivlaks said:
    Since I'm on a budget it was hard for me to find a PCI v3.0 mobo. Then I found this article:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7970-pci-e-3-0-vs-pci-e-2-0-comparison


    Correct, for the current gen of GPU, having pcie 3.0 is not really important. But then again you said future proofing. It all depend on your budget.
  10. PS4 and XBox one are glorified multi-core netbooks with mid ranged video cards attached. They should have no bearing on your processor choice for PC gaming.

    Either processor choice is pretty valid and arguably you could overclock the 8350 better, but since you don't plan to they will be pretty similar machines. The 8350 will perform in things like video editing, compression, image editing, and the like. So for that specific comparison depending on your non-gaming uses it might make sense. But then you are also stuck with AMD, who's answer to being slaughtered by Intel is a 200+watt TDP beast of a thing that can't keep up with processors half their cost and power usage . . . but with the 3550p you're stuck in the socket so the only place to go from there would be a 3570k or 3770k in a future upgrade.

    Either way has it's advantages I suppose. It probably depends on how console ports perform in the future and what existing games you play now. No one knows if a quad core i5 hwre each core beats the snot out of a netbook core will play a game designed for 8 netbook cores, so you can't really choose based on that.
  11. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28R9b here is what you need to get this is whqt im biulding and it said crysis 4 and battle field 4 are both prefact for this build thank you for reading this.
Ask a new question

Read More

Next Generation CPUs Intel i5 Xbox