Solved

New Build! Looking For Advice

So I am building a PC for my dad and I have so far picked out these components. His budget would be no more than $1200 if possible, I'm sure that he can put in a couple more bucks if necessary.

The games he will be playing mostly would be mostly strategy games, but I know he likes to play mostly any type of game, that is just his favorite, I want to be sure that he will be able to play the next Gen games also.

So to the build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Deciding
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb SSD

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

I am open to any suggestions, ideas or questions. Let me know!


Thanks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build advice
  1. that looks like a solid build. i dont think id change a thing
  2. if you plan on overclocking just keep in mind that haswell processors run a bit hot so more cooling might be needed in that case
    maybe look into the 840 pro version of that ssd
    maybe bump the model of the psu up a model (i think hx is the next model up?), although it seems you're out of budget so that may not be possible (i think the tx is still a good psu)
    maybe look into the fractal r4 as it's a big cheaper than that case (although not really all that much)

    ^^above are just suggestions, it looks good
  3. Best answer
    If you're open to suggestions:

    I'd grab a Kingston Hyer X 3K instead of the 840.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sh103s3120g

    I'm not a fan of the G45 cuz it doesn't perform as well as Asus or ASRock (according to tomshardware)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254-35.html
    That's why for the price I'd rather get this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87extreme4

    Why did you choose the MSI mobo?
  4. envy14tpe said:
    If you're open to suggestions:

    I'd grab a Kingston Hyer X 3K instead of the 840.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sh103s3120g

    I'm not a fan of the G45 cuz it doesn't perform as well as Asus or ASRock (according to tomshardware)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bridge-benchmark,3254-35.html
    That's why for the price I'd rather get this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87extreme4

    Why did you choose the MSI mobo?

    Ok, so I changed the ssd to that kingston hyperx you linked, and I am choosing a motherboard right now, I would not like to go over $160 if possible. The 3 I picked out are.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157372
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128591
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131980

    Let me know!

    Edit- Also what graphics card do you think he should get? That 760 or a 7950? For the games he will be playing?
  5. Get a 760. MSI 760 TF/OC. Or maybe the new Hawk.
  6. envy14tpe said:
    Get a 760. MSI 760 TF/OC. Or maybe the new Hawk.


    Ok, and about the mobo, what one out of the three would you reccomend?
  7. Techguy1 said:
    envy14tpe said:
    Get a 760. MSI 760 TF/OC. Or maybe the new Hawk.


    Ok, and about the mobo, what one out of the three would you reccomend?


    Due to price, I'd eliminate the Asus model. Now I'm left with the Gigabyte and ASRock models...both are winners and can't go wrong with either. I'd lean towards ASRock cuz of more fan connectors. I could have 2 CPU fans hooked up (meaning one CPU fan and one bottom fan that adjusts with CPU fan). Also, I get an extra 4 pin (system controlled) fan header. The less I have to manually adjust fans the better. I choose ASRock in this comparison.
  8. envy14tpe said:
    Techguy1 said:
    envy14tpe said:
    Get a 760. MSI 760 TF/OC. Or maybe the new Hawk.


    Ok, and about the mobo, what one out of the three would you reccomend?


    Due to price, I'd eliminate the Asus model. Now I'm left with the Gigabyte and ASRock models...both are winners and can't go wrong with either. I'd lean towards ASRock cuz of more fan connectors. I could have 2 CPU fans hooked up (meaning one CPU fan and one bottom fan that adjusts with CPU fan). Also, I get an extra 4 pin (system controlled) fan header. The less I have to manually adjust fans the better. I choose ASRock in this comparison.


    Ok one problem that asrock motherboard is $170 in Canada :( I didnt realize I linked the US site. Are there any other good motherboards that are below my price point? Sorry about that.

    But I changed the psu to the SeaSonic M12II 620w

    The build looks like this now..

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

    Motherboard: ?

    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

    Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb SSD

    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card

    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

    Case: THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case White/Black

    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W


    EDIT- For the motherboard, He wont be overclocking that much maybe a little but nothing too crazy. So if you know of a good cheap mobo that has all the main things I would need, and still room for upgrading of course please let me know.
  9. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1q74L
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1q74L/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1q74L/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.75 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card ($679.99)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1371.64
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-09 15:21 EDT-0400)

    Blow your dad away with da fastest single GPU on da planet
  10. How about the ASRock Extreme 3 for $140:
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87extreme3

    Otherwise I'd grab the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

    EDIT -- Why the THOR case instead of the NZXT? I'd go NZXT. Also, full towers tend to be really big and not needed unless you have multiple GPUs and lots of HDDs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Graphics Cards Systems Components New Build