Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What Case should I choose?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 9, 2013 7:43:39 AM

I would like to keep the build under £700, what would be a good case that would easily house my components? I will be overclocking and adding upgrades in the future possibly

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£186.63 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.24 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£83.22 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.55 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Sandisk 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£66.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.03 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card (£80.50 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£40.11 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £584.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-09 15:43 BST+0100)

NOTE: I am aware my CPU is much better than my mediocre GPU, this build is not primarily for gaming.

More about : case choose

August 9, 2013 7:57:02 AM

The motherboard won't allow for good overclocks, I recommend the G45 which is barely more expensive than the one you've chosen. Look into the HAF 932 Advance, can you give me a budget? And maybe a website where I can see components in the UK?
m
0
l
Related resources
August 9, 2013 8:13:26 AM

David Lugarov said:
The motherboard won't allow for good overclocks, I recommend the G45 which is barely more expensive than the one you've chosen. Look into the HAF 932 Advance, can you give me a budget? And maybe a website where I can see components in the UK?


Budget is around £700 for the computer itself (not worrying about peripherals right now as my family has some spares that will probably suit my needs) the G45 is about £35 mroe expenswive by the looks of things how's the G43 for OC?

www.amazon.co.uk &
www.ebuyer.com

seem to be the cheapest places in the uk

Thanks for your help!
m
0
l

Best solution

August 9, 2013 8:35:33 AM

Welcome, the G45 and over are really the ones made for overclocking and gaming, lower models won't be all that good, and the overall build quality is also better. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-Advanced-Case... This really keeps your entire build cool and cool looking, another great choice is the Zalman Z11http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Z11-Plus-Installation-An... or if that doesn't suit you, the HAF 922 is an alternative as well as the CM690 II Advanced.
Share
August 9, 2013 10:35:23 AM

David Lugarov said:
Welcome, the G45 and over are really the ones made for overclocking and gaming, lower models won't be all that good, and the overall build quality is also better. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-Advanced-Case... This really keeps your entire build cool and cool looking, another great choice is the Zalman Z11http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Z11-Plus-Installation-An... or if that doesn't suit you, the HAF 922 is an alternative as well as the CM690 II Advanced.


Ok I guess it's not a good idea to be skimping on the motherboard so I'll get the G45, I'll have a look at the different cases when I have more time tomorrow.

Somebody on a different forum told me the SDD Wasn't that fast and was 'outdated' but I haven't found any data to be able to back this up, is there any truth to that or was it just personal opinion?
m
0
l
August 9, 2013 10:40:41 AM

110% personal, anyone going from HDD to SSD will notice a big difference, the guy that said that probably had the first and slowest SSD ever made. Anyone that has an OS installed on an SSD will notice a difference, with what else can you boot up Windows 7 in 10 seconds?
m
0
l
August 9, 2013 10:49:00 AM

Maybe I worded that badly he implied the brand of SDD was slower than others SDDs I selected that one simply because it was cheapest. It did seem odd to me tbh at most surely it would only boot a second or two faster?
m
0
l
August 9, 2013 10:59:24 AM

I didn't catch you in the last part, "most surely it would only boot a second or two faster?". And Corsair Force GS is one of the fastest SSDs in the market.
m
0
l
August 9, 2013 11:05:36 AM

Whoops on my phone and forgot to proof read! I just meant that I didn't think there was a huge speed difference in SSDs, they all boot pretty damn fast don't they?
m
0
l
August 9, 2013 11:20:42 AM

Yeah but there's 2 things to take in mind, read/write speeds and read/write IOPS, the read/write speed makes a noticeable difference when launching things, if you use photoshop you'll know it's terrible to load it from a hard drive, takes ages, an SSD brings it up ready to go in around 2 seconds. The IOPS makes a difference when handling huge files, i forgot exactly what it stands for, but if my memory serves me right, it's something operations per second, basically IOPS is a measure of how much data it can handle. And, the bigger the file, the bigger the difference. Then comes warranties, build quality, etc.
m
0
l
August 9, 2013 4:26:56 PM

Robino said:
David Lugarov said:
Welcome, the G45 and over are really the ones made for overclocking and gaming, lower models won't be all that good, and the overall build quality is also better. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-Advanced-Case... This really keeps your entire build cool and cool looking, another great choice is the Zalman Z11http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Z11-Plus-Installation-An... or if that doesn't suit you, the HAF 922 is an alternative as well as the CM690 II Advanced.


Ok I guess it's not a good idea to be skimping on the motherboard so I'll get the G45, I'll have a look at the different cases when I have more time tomorrow.

Somebody on a different forum told me the SDD Wasn't that fast and was 'outdated' but I haven't found any data to be able to back this up, is there any truth to that or was it just personal opinion?


outdated? maybe he's talking about scsi? :D 
m
0
l
!