8350 or Haswell for my needs

Dizzll

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
I can't decide what is better for my needs and price. i7 4770K or 8350? I primarily do video editing and a couple games. Those games are ONLY FSX and WoW. I have a GTX760 4gb on order to go with it. I understand Haswell may be slightly better for games but wondering if extra cores can be utilized in my video editing? Stuck on what to buy and need asap. Thanks in advance!

Solution

You're talking a performance gap of approximately 10%.

So in terms of FPS...typically 3-5 FPS in games (sometimes less, sometimes AMD is even faster than Intel).

In terms of video editing...depending on software setups...you're typically talking about a faster conversion of about 10%. So you would save 6 minutes of time converting something that takes an hour to convert.

Now, is...

Dizzll

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

so for the money are we talking milliseconds in video converting? and relatively no fps difference as I play single core games? If it's marginal I'd rather save the cash

FSX is a very CPU demanding game. That being said the 8350 can run it pretty well. The i7 is a bit overkill for gaming honestly but it does very well with video editing.

Honestly you would probably be very happy with either CPU. Both are excellent but the AMD has a better performance/price ratio than the i7, however the i7 is the better CPU. If cost is a concern you'd be fine with the 8350, if you're not worried about the costs then get the i7.

Dizzll

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

only question I have for you then is this the best processor for my needs on the AMD side?

8350rocks

Distinguished

You're talking a performance gap of approximately 10%.

So in terms of FPS...typically 3-5 FPS in games (sometimes less, sometimes AMD is even faster than Intel).

In terms of video editing...depending on software setups...you're typically talking about a faster conversion of about 10%. So you would save 6 minutes of time converting something that takes an hour to convert.

Now, is that worth $140 to you...?

Solution

The difference wouldn't be that noticeable in video encoding. A few minutes at the most. In FPS... Probably about 6-8 FPS in FSX (I doubt you'd go lower than 23 FPS or so), and in WoW....

world%20of%20warcraft%201920.png

Still well over 60 FPS so you wouldn't notice a difference really between the i7 and the 8350 unless you were using a 120hz monitor.

Edit: linked the wrong bench. switched to the 1080p benchmark.