i7 4770 reaching 100C !! HELP!

3azeez

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Hello everyone, new to the forum here...

So I have just built my desktop and fired up Battlefield 3. I noticed that my computer fan is really loud... I touched the side of the case (motherboard side) and it was so hot! I checked the temperature and it turned out that the cores reach 100 degrees Celsius during gameplay. Once I shut down the game, the temperature drops down to 50 degrees Celsius.

Now I'm surfing the internet for about an hour trying to figure solution for the problem and the cores temperatures are jumping between 49 and 50 degrees Celsius.

I'm using stock fan which has its stock thermo paste. The fan is fixed correctly on the motherboard.

My room has central air conditioning and the temperature set at 21 degrees. I am using cooler master case... I'm starting to assume that the case is to small making air circulation difficult? When I first installed the graphics card, I noticed it was too big for the case... it was touching all the way to the hard drives bay... I guess its making like a wall between the lower front fan and the processor?

I'm not using any additional fans and for some reason I feel I want to avoid getting water cooling. I've just spent almost everything I have on this rig so its going to be a very careful and studied solution approach, and here where I need your help.

I have concluded (though not necessarily correctly) that my case (though new) is too cramped and my air cooling is inadequate. However, I may not be able to exchange the case, so the first thing I will do is replace the stock CPU air cooler, add new thermo paste and add a fan to the upper-rear side of the case. This is my case http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower-k-series/k280.html

Now that you know the size of my case and the type of my components, what kind of rear fan do I need? I suppose its going to be extractor fan...? but it will be too close from the processor. but its more logical to have extractor there, no?

What about processor fan? I noticed that corsair H100i is popular, but I don't think it will fit in my case. What other suitable alternative?

Also, do I need fan for my memory sticks?

Finally, if replacing the case was no problem, what solution would you suggest to this problem?

I plan on going to the computer shop tomorrow at 11 am, that's 9 hours from now. So please let the answers come really quick ;p

my setup is as follows:
Intel I7 4770
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB (2x8 GB) 2400MHz DDR3 PC3-19200
XFX AMD Radeon 7990 6gb
PSU Coolermaster Silent pro gold 1000w
I have disabled the onboard sound and graphics, I'm using USB speakers.
I have on SSD and one HDD
My case is coolermaster http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower-k-series/k280.html

Solution
Core i7 reaching 100c and not shutting itself down for safety is weird atleast my FX shuts itself at 85c! NOW CAREFULLY FOLLOW THE STEPS:
Maybe the heatsink is not properly seated, use some new thermal paste (arctic silver) and wipe out the old one with 70-90% isopropanol(rubbing alcohol) soln. Then carefully and firmly attach the heatsink to the cpu and tighten the screws until they make a 'click' sound indicating that they are locked. Make sure that no wires are coming in contact with the heatsink fan to stop it from rotating.
Now for the case if it can accomodate fans on the top then install some for exhaust. And let the bottom fan cool the GPU.
N.B. : Dont use too much thermal paste or it may seep in the socket and cause trouble. :) Post the results after you did the steps.

nameIess

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Thank you for your reply. Yes this is me the original poster, but first time I logged in with facebook and now the page wont let me log in with facebook anymore.

Anyhow, here is the update... I had already checked the fan yesterday to make sure that it was seated correctly. To be sure I did remove the fan and reseated it again. I also rewired the whole rig just to make sure that inner cables are not obstructing the air flow. Problem remained present.

After giving up on the stock fan, I went and got Cooler Master Hyper 212 X. I played BF3 for about an hour and I never saw the temperature reaching 70 (stayed below that) but I did notice that the MAX temperature reached was 75. Thats a good improvement since yesterday... however, this heatsink is designed for overclocked processors... should I need this much heatsink to keep stock processor operating at stock speeds to be at such high temprature of 75?!

I updated my motherboard bios and checked the settings... no change.

The processor temprature problem seems to be very limited... its either heatsink or thermal paste. If those two did not solve the problem... then what could it be?!

i'm so lost.

nameIess

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

are you suspecting that the temperature readings I'm seeing on the screen to be incorrect?
I suspected that as well because my computer did not shut down or lag as some people suggested would happen when the temp reaches 100C.

nameIess

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
By the way, I just installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I installed it because I heard it gives readings of temperature and so on.

My CPU is supposed to be a 3.4Ghz... and indeed this is what the Processor specs are shown on top of the screen. However on the lower side of the Intel ETU where you get actual readings of what is going on... the CPU core temp shown is inline with what CPUID HWMonitor shows.

What is more interesting, is the processor frequency. It is shown as 3.89Ghz. Why would my processor operate at that frequency if its a 3.4?

Its a 4770 and not 4770K. So having the frequency almost 500Hz over the spec, isn't that an overclock? could that be the cause of my problem?

Jul 14, 2013

*MOST* Cpu's shut down around 95-100C, and aren't safely supposed to go above 85ish (depending on cooler and CPU) There have been times where the heat reading device is incorrect, but only slightly. Nice cooler though!

Yes it surely is a overclock
Put back the core clock to 35x

nameIess

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Hmm... the multipliers are set at 39, 39, 38 and 37. Pushing the first one down to 35 would put the rest at 35 bringing my CPU to 3.5Ghz.

Now, before I mess with this setting...
Why is my multipliers set high like this? Is this something I chnange from Intel's ETU or better do it from the bios? I'll check the bios settings just in case.

But again, I don't understand... my processor is not "K". So why would it be overclocked?

Or is 3.89Ghz (39x multipiers) a NORMAL operation for a 3.4Ghz processor?

Jul 14, 2013

Do you have a turbo function or something enabled?

nameIess

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

I don't know.
I just checked the bios settings and my multiplier there is set at 34x. Now I'm suspecting that the multiplier 39 and clock speed of 3.89ghz i'm seeing is happening only after I installed Intel ETU? So its irrelevant to my problem?

PS. This is from Intel ETU:

Max Non Turbo Boost Ratio: 34x
Max non-turbo boost CPU S...: 3.4Ghz
Maxx Turbo Boost CPU Speed: 3.9Ghz
1 Active Core 39x
2 ....
4... all same
Turbo Boost Short Power max: Enabled

Jul 14, 2013

There could be some function in the ETU program which automatically increases clock speed with the Maxx Turbo Speed or whatever it is. Try disabling that if you can.

Solution

nameIess

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Well, after reducing the multiplier to 34x and restarted windows, the computer crashed as soon as I got to see the desktop and I got a bios screen telling me to load correct settings. I decided to uninstall ETU and do the adjustments from the bios.

I changed the multiplier in the bios from auto to 34, and same I did with voltage, frequency and other settings from auto to normal. I applied settings and restarted. but now i run CPU-Z and it seems that all settings were disregarded. I go to bios setup again and see that indeed all settings I selected, applied, and saved are disregarded.

I don't know what is going on... but anyway, this is even something I need to look into?