760 SLI or wait on the 9970

adem629

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I already have a single gtx 760 and i was debating on if should i just sli the 760 or save a bit more and just wait for 9970. I also heard that battlefield 4 might come with the 9k series graphics card.

Solution

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the 9000 series would be in any way revolutionary. They'll be faster than the 7000 series for sure, and may even give the GTX 700 series a run for their money at their current prices, but it's just another incremental upgrade like almost any other generation...

RealBeast

Titan
It depends if your current card can get you through the next two to six months or so before the 9970 releases (or the Maxwell NVIDIA competition). I would try to wait as the 9970 leaked info sounds pretty spectacular, and I'm sure that NVIDIA's Maxwell product will be pretty strong and ready around the same time frame. The rumors of an October 9970 release would keep my credit card in my wallet, though it may not come that soon.

ekseli

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Since you already have a 760, I would recommend SLI. There's no way you would get anywhere near the same performance with a HD 9000 series card for the same price ($250). Even in the best case you'd have to pay more than $600 to get anywhere near the same performance as the 760 SLI would give you.

That said, I'd still advice waiting unless you have some game that doesn't run adequately on your single 760 right now. If you wait til HD 9000 hits the stores, you are likely to get the second 760 somewhat cheaper. If you can wait til Maxwell comes out, the second 760 may cost considerably less than it does now.

However, if your GPU is struggling with a game you play a lot now, then it's worth upgrading right away if you can afford it.

ekseli

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the 9000 series would be in any way revolutionary. They'll be faster than the 7000 series for sure, and may even give the GTX 700 series a run for their money at their current prices, but it's just another incremental upgrade like almost any other generation. There's no technological breakthrough that would allow AMD to make a spectacular leap in performance over the GTX 700 series.

If one didn't need a new GPU right away, it'd be smart to wait what the 9000 series has to offer. If for no other reason than to see the nVidia prices drop a bit and to check what game bundles AMD offers. But if you need a faster GPU now, it's really not worth the wait - it's not like the 9000 series is going to make any current generation card obsolete overnight.

If anything, I'd hold off with HD 9000 purchase until Maxwell if you didn't have a pressing need for a new GPU...

Solution