Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD + HDD or SSD + HDD in raid 0?

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
August 10, 2013 7:10:34 PM

So i only have enough money for an Samsung 840 120GB SSD and a WD Black 2TB HDD or i can get Samsung 840 120GB SSD and 2 WD black 1TB HDD's and put them in Raid 0... Will the raid 0 really make my games that much faster? Or should i just get the 2TB since i wont be seeing that huge of a difference in loading times?

More about : ssd hdd ssd hdd raid

August 10, 2013 7:13:46 PM

ssd + hdd. all ssds are faster than hdds in raid

ssd> raid hdd
raid hdd > hdd
and install your favorite game on the ssd and enjoy and keep other games, pictures , movies on the hdd
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 10, 2013 7:17:24 PM

So your question really is whether or not to buy a 2Tb HDD, or two 1Tb HDD's. Raid 0 will decrease your loading times, and will be worth it if the cost is the same.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
a c 120 G Storage
August 10, 2013 7:21:06 PM

Ignore WD Blacks. They're overpriced and little faster than any other 7200RPM drive.

Is a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD too expensive? That would allow you to put your games on the SSD, and only media on the HDD.

EDIT: Assuming you're in the US, you were prepared to spend this much: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $262.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-10 22:23 EDT-0400)

I'd suggest this instead:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($165.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $251.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-10 22:28 EDT-0400)

Cheaper (slightly), faster storage for everything that matters, and a little more space in total.
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 10, 2013 8:04:25 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Ignore WD Blacks. They're overpriced and little faster than any other 7200RPM drive.

Is a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD too expensive? That would allow you to put your games on the SSD, and only media on the HDD.

EDIT: Assuming you're in the US, you were prepared to spend this much: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $262.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-10 22:23 EDT-0400)

I'd suggest this instead:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($165.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $251.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-10 22:28 EDT-0400)

Cheaper (slightly), faster storage for everything that matters, and a little more space in total.


My games will not fit on a 250GB SSD, i have over 100 games and i plan on getting many more and i heard that the more you store on an SSD the slower it gets? So 120GB will be perfect for my OS and programs which wont even get to 100GB... Is the WD Black really not that much faster then Seagate? I have a Seagate now which has lasted 7+ years but i am in need of more storage for all my games (hate having to uninstall games to install others so i can play them, also going to be getting a TV tuner card to be able to watch TV on my PC and record shows and i have lots of movies) ...SSD's are way to expensive for the amount of GB's i would need for all my games, would i like a couple of 1TB SSD's for my games? OF COURSE!!! but can't afford it :(  and games such as L4D2, BF3, Skyrim and many others take awhile to load, so i thought if putting 2 HDD's in raid 0 would cut my load times in half?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 10, 2013 8:12:36 PM

If you plan on doing a Raid 0, I would actually stick with the Caviar Black strictly for their 5 year warranty. The access times aren't too much less than a Caviar Blue, but I think the warranty is worth it. I actually think that for the money and storage space, Raid O HDD's are better than an SSD. Of course, if you can combine the two like you are thinking about, that would be even better.

It won't quite cut your load times in half, but it will improve them quite a bit. You will notice a difference in the Raid O.
m
0
l
August 10, 2013 10:26:39 PM

If I was setting up the storage I would have 1 smaller very fast semi volitile drive (an SSD) for programs OS things you can replace if they get lost, and one larger slower but more stable drive or array of drives for media, files, etc. I would go with an SSD and 2 RAID 1 1TB harddrives so that you have redundancy if one drive goes out .
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 10, 2013 11:55:25 PM

William_White said:
If I was setting up the storage I would have 1 smaller very fast semi volitile drive (an SSD) for programs OS things you can replace if they get lost, and one larger slower but more stable drive or array of drives for media, files, etc. I would go with an SSD and 2 RAID 1 1TB harddrives so that you have redundancy if one drive goes out .

That would completey defeat what i need to do lol i need more/faster storage not backups i dont mind reinstalling everything if it gets lost since all my games, movies and TV shows will be on the HDD's and my OS and programs on the SSD... i was wondering how much of a speed gain will i get in raid 0 and also if WD blacks are faster then seagate barracuda's since those are a lot cheaper...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 11, 2013 12:20:21 AM

They are faster. Better warranty too I think. Granted, if you were to use both in the Raid 0(same paired with same) you wouldn't notice as much of difference between them.
Share
Anonymous
August 11, 2013 12:29:41 AM

Swordkd said:
They are faster. Better warranty too I think. Granted, if you were to use both in the Raid 0(same paired with same) you wouldn't notice as much of difference between them.

Thank you i'm gonna go with the WD Blacks, that 5 year warranty is nice and i might just save up for a bit and get 2 2TB and raid 0 those and a 120GB SSD for OS and programs
m
0
l
December 6, 2013 1:31:29 PM

muayyad AJ said:
install your favorite game on the ssd and keep games on the hdd


How do I do this without creating a Raid 0 array? Merely connecting both drives to the motherboard?
m
0
l
!