FX 6300...Adequate cooling?

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hey everyone :) I'm going to be building a budget pc for average gaming such as Bad company 2, and some low spec MMO's such as Atlantica online. I'm going to be using the FX 6300 because its only $119 online. I will be pairing it up with a GTX 760 (ASUS design). My motherboard is the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.

I've searched online and i've heard people say that the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo is good enough to cool an FX 6300. I'll most likely overclock a little. The stock speed is 3.5GHZ and i'd like to increase it to atleast 4.0-4.2.

Can a hyper 212 evo achieve this? my case is the HAF 912 from coolermaster and i'll be using a 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust, and 120mm side intake.. The case comes with one fan, and i will be replacing all the fans.

If i use the case fan to run the 212 evo is push/pull will i get better temps? or is the stock fan good enough? Also can i connect the fans on the heatsink to a fan controller? i'll be using the AeroCool STRIKEX-X1000 to control all the fans in my case.

Thanks in advance :D

Solution
G
Yes, CM Hyper 212 Evo is an excellent budget heatsink. You should have no problems achieving 4.0-4.2 OC with the heatsink, unless you have super high ambient temp's. Used it myself on cooling both a Phenom II 1090T and FX-8320; with the FX-8320, I have reached 4.2GHz (in the summer, 4.4GHz in the spring/winter) without a problem, using the 212 Evo.

From my experience, putting the 212 Evo in a push/pull config'n, gave me about 2 degrees Celsius lower temp's.
G

Yes, CM Hyper 212 Evo is an excellent budget heatsink. You should have no problems achieving 4.0-4.2 OC with the heatsink, unless you have super high ambient temp's. Used it myself on cooling both a Phenom II 1090T and FX-8320; with the FX-8320, I have reached 4.2GHz (in the summer, 4.4GHz in the spring/winter) without a problem, using the 212 Evo.

From my experience, putting the 212 Evo in a push/pull config'n, gave me about 2 degrees Celsius lower temp's.

Solution

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

I might run in push/pull just for the lawls :) can i plug the fans on the heats sink to my fan controller? or does it have to go into my CPU fan header?

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Also, i've never installed fans before (this is my first time building) How do i know which direction to face the fans on the heat sink and on my case? is there arrows on the fans themselves?

G

Fans usually have two arrows on the fan housing: one arrow indicates direction of the fan rotation, while the other indicates direction of air flow. If you cannot find any arrows, then the air is always pulled from the fan hub/spinner side and exhausted on through the side where you see the exposed 4 fan wires routed through the "back" of the fan housing.

And yes, CPU_Fan header.

Also, because of the lower rotational speed on cold start-up (when the CPU is cool), in BIOS/uEFI, set the minimum CPU RPM to 500. Some users reported CPU fan errors on boot-up because the fan wasn't spinning fast enough, which I ended up experiencing myself with my ASUS M5A99X Evo motherboard.

Ampage Green

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Usually, the side with the sticker faces you so that the blank side faces towards the cpu.

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

but if im running a push pull config how will i connect both my fans to one CPU header?

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

usually? I want to be 100% sure. So the side with the sticke faces me, so that air is pulled through the heat sink? or blown towards it? sorry i'm confused ):

G

Arghhh....sorry. I misread your post. Was talking about just the (push) 212 Evo CM fan into the 4-pin CPU header. The pull fan can be plugged anywhere, including the fan controller or other mobo fan headers. Although, what I have done with my past 212 Evo push/pull set-up (since I was running out of mobo fan headers, is that I have used a "Y-splitter", in my case it was a "Silverstone CPF01 100MM PWM Fan Splitter Cable" (http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=79525&vpn=SST-CPF01&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology), to plug both fans into one CPU fan header.

Sorry about the confusion.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

There's no guarantee on fan directions. They can blow towards or away from the sticker depending on make/model. A simple test would be to connect it to a 6V-12V battery and check it.

With push/pull you're safe either way if you face them in the same direction. You want the final configuration to blow out the back of the case though.

TRENDING THREADS