i5 750 2.66GHz too hot during load

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I installed HWmonitor to check temperatures for my GFX card switch from a HD5850 to a GTX770 however I noticed that the 4x cores of my i5-750-2.66GHz(Lynnfield) were around 50°c in idle and 90-100°C during load.

To remedy this I understood that I should follow the following steps:
a) Clean dust out of case/CPU fan
b) Reapply thermal paste to CPU/heatsink
c) Buy a new heatsink to cool CPU

I was wondering however how I can test if my CPU was damaged since due to my lack of monitoring I have no clue how long it has been under high temperatures during heavy load. Could I use a free CPU benchmark tool? If so which one would you recommend and which score should I get under which settings?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Solution
1) Thermal Throttling starts around 95->100 C. Reason your max is currently only going to 100C. Max temp for shut down is around 125C.
.. Even Your Idle temps are WAY high – should only be about 5 ->10 C above your room temperature.

2) The stock Intel HSF is at the bottom of the heap for thermal performance. Many users have had problems properly setting the 4 push pins and some have noted one of the push pins coming loose over time - HIGHLY recommend replacing the Stock HSF with a 3rd party HSF.

3) Running for sustained time above a Tcase of 72.7 C will decrease the life span even at normal voltage (ie instead of lasting 10 years might only last 5 years).

4) For testing, recommend using Prime 95: However; only do this...

randomizer

Champion
I don't think you should be worried, just fix the cooling problem and you should be fine. You can't easily damage a CPU purely with heat (voltage is another thing entirely). In most cases it will throttle itself to keep within the maximum safe operating temperature, so you'll lose performance but not really damage it in any meaningful way unless you plan to run it for 15+ years. In the case of a thermal runaway (ie. you were halfway though transcoding your favourite Blu Ray film and your heatsink fell off) the processor will enter a halted state to prevent damage to the silicon.

1) Thermal Throttling starts around 95->100 C. Reason your max is currently only going to 100C. Max temp for shut down is around 125C.
.. Even Your Idle temps are WAY high – should only be about 5 ->10 C above your room temperature.

2) The stock Intel HSF is at the bottom of the heap for thermal performance. Many users have had problems properly setting the 4 push pins and some have noted one of the push pins coming loose over time - HIGHLY recommend replacing the Stock HSF with a 3rd party HSF.

3) Running for sustained time above a Tcase of 72.7 C will decrease the life span even at normal voltage (ie instead of lasting 10 years might only last 5 years).

4) For testing, recommend using Prime 95: However; only do this AFTER replacing your HSF (Correcting thermal problem) as Prime 95 will heat the CPU up. So monitor temps closely for the first 30 Mins, if temps are in mid 70's your OK then leave prime95 running for 2 ->4 Hours to test stability.

Solution

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

If thermal throttling starts at 95°C why don't I see any impact during operations/tasks/games?
The only reason I noticed now is because of installing HWmonitor.

Also what could be the reason that my idle temps are so bad (overall bad cooling in the case?)?

If you want to check throttling, Run Prime 95 + CPUIDCPU-zand when you hit 100C Not ehe speed, should see it drop.

On Idle temps.
1) Double check By using a 2nd program to verify temps ( ie Speedfan).
2) Yes Case air flow can be a big issue.
... I have a Large top fan, a GOOD rear fan and a good front fan.
3) HSF - If Intel, well what can I say. Personnaly I no longer even take it out of the box. When I do a build, my parts list ALWAYs includes a 3rd party HSF.