Looking for a 150-200$ SSD

squish8294

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Essentially I want an SSD that's approx 200$ (give or take a bit) that's proven reliable and fast on a sata 6.0 connection, while avoiding the sandforce controllers if possible... (my knowledge level on SSD's is not what I'd like it to be, but I've read too many bad things about sandforce controllers and I'm iffy about using them...). Thoughts?

Solution
For $200.00 you could purchase any one of several modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s 256GB solid state drives. Most of them form a fairly tight performance cluster. A typical consumer would not notice any difference in performance. I normally recommend Samsung due to their excellent performance and reliability. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

The use of SandForce controllers in solid state drives is a touchy subject. SandForce has not introduced a new controller in over 2 years. When LSI acquired SandForce the SandForce team was put to work on enterprise rather than consumer projects. In the past there have been some outstanding SF based ssd's and some really bad ones. OCZ is a perfect example. They had some...

james_44

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Hi! My advice to my friend would be, just do not be dependent on someone's reviews alone. sometimes you will need to try on your own to prove someone else is wrong. If you have access to any test labs, you can get hands on them. To clarify, sandforce based drives are classy & very reliable. I have been using Intel 520 SSD which is sf based & defines quality on its own. People at times tend to mislead for their own commercial gains & also there are people who still have the old wrong perception on sandforce which is totally baseless.

For $200.00 you could purchase any one of several modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s 256GB solid state drives. Most of them form a fairly tight performance cluster. A typical consumer would not notice any difference in performance. I normally recommend Samsung due to their excellent performance and reliability. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

The use of SandForce controllers in solid state drives is a touchy subject. SandForce has not introduced a new controller in over 2 years. When LSI acquired SandForce the SandForce team was put to work on enterprise rather than consumer projects. In the past there have been some outstanding SF based ssd's and some really bad ones. OCZ is a perfect example. They had some great SF based ssd's and some pretty bad ones. Part of the problem was OCZ's failure to properly validate new models before releasing them for sale. In one instance OCZ released a model 4 months ahead of schedule in order to generate revenue. OCZ was experiencing financial difficulties and they still are. Intel on the other hand took the time for proper validation and released very good SF based ssd's.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

Solution