Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Mac Mini for "gaming"?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 12, 2013 9:25:39 AM

I am looking to get a new computer, a desktop, and i already have a monitor and a mouse. I play LoL, Minecraft, and TF2, all which are available for Mac and PC. If I were to build a gaming pc, my budget would be around $500. I would get a core i5, which the mac mini already has. I would also like to have the mac mini because of how long it will last me. Please let me know if getting the mac mini is a good idea.

More about : mac mini gaming

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2013 9:34:32 AM

no.no.no.no.no just no. nope, never here get this: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($139.65 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $550.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-12 12:34 EDT-0400)
Share
August 12, 2013 10:27:48 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
no.no.no.no.no just no. nope, never here get this: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($139.65 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $550.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-12 12:34 EDT-0400)


Well I'm only using it for the games I specified and whats the point? Will the custom pc be sooooo much better? Fpswise?
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2013 10:33:55 AM

mshannonjr7 said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
no.no.no.no.no just no. nope, never here get this: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($139.65 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $550.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-12 12:34 EDT-0400)


Well I'm only using it for the games I specified and whats the point? Will the custom pc be sooooo much better? Fpswise?


yes, the mac mini isnt build for gaming, no discrete gpu, a 2.5ghz cpu and only 4gb thats not good for gaming, thats why i provided a faster cpu/mobo better storage,gpu,ram basically everything is going to perform better and the cheapest mac mini is $600
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
August 12, 2013 10:40:59 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:

yes, the mac mini isnt build for gaming, no discrete gpu, a 2.5ghz cpu and only 4gb thats not good for gaming, thats why i provided a faster cpu/mobo better storage,gpu,ram basically everything is going to perform better and the cheapest mac mini is $600


Yes this is correct - a Mac Mini is not a gaming machine, even for light gaming. Not to mention Mac Minis can't be upgraded and have a very limited shelf life. If you build your own you will be far better off as you can incrementally upgrade your rig over the course of its' life and it will be far better than a Mac Mini in the long run.
m
0
l
August 12, 2013 10:45:06 AM

+1 to RTB.

Is the Mac a bad computer? No, not really. Is it a cost effective gaming PC for even relatively undemanding titles? Not even close.

It's pretty much always that way with Macs. If you just want to do light computing and browsing, you've got the money to spare, and you don't want to do any research, getting a Mac isn't a bad way to go. For some people those are the only needs they need fulfilled. You can decide for yourself which way you'd like to go.

And the build above looks pretty good to me.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2013 10:48:28 AM

Here you go:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($67.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec VSK-3000 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $584.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-12 13:46 EDT-0400)

The CPU in the mac mini is a dual core mobile i5, they perform ALOT worse than their desktop counterparts, their performance is comparable to ivy bridge based pentiums.
m
0
l
!