Solved

Is this a good mid-range gaming build?

I'm converting from console gaming into PC gaming, so I'm relatively new to all of this.

I was thinking of getting this computer
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+ENVY+Desktop+-+10GB+Memory+-+2TB+Hard+Drive/1304659369.p?id=mp1304659369&skuId=1304659369

Then I was going to replace the GPU with a nvidia GeForce GTX 650 ti, would this make a computer that could run most games on medium settings?
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good mid range gaming build
  1. No low end more for personal use than it is gaming ready if you used this for gaming it will be in the lower end. You want mid range you need at least an i5 CPU, with like GTX 650 Ti. Depending on the games you intend to play an SSD is pretty much standard for all gaming rigs today. Saves a ton of time during loading and such.

    The description on the site is so bad actually it doesn't even state which i5 model you are getting and 10GB RAM for gaming is a waste really only need like 8GB and even that's more than enough.
  2. You could build a computer with a 650ti for less, instead of buying that and a 650 ti. The RAM is also underpowered for what you should be running to game.
  3. Best answer
    cuecuemore said:
    You could build a computer with a 650ti for less, instead of buying that and a 650 ti. The RAM is also underpowered for what you should be running to game.


    I totally agree with the GPU and building a better rig for gaming I wouldn't say less but better at the same price! I would like to think that that's the OPs budget?! As for the RAM I guess it depends on how petty the brand and speed on top of the CAS latency then yes if the RAM stinks which I was turned off this PC from just the lack of describing the CPU in detail I just stopped reading it lol!
  4. Aight thnx guys, ill keep searching
  5. cuecuemore said:
    You could build a computer with a 650ti for less, instead of buying that and a 650 ti. The RAM is also underpowered for what you should be running to game.


    If you would like to help the OP with this the PC I am currently on is pathetic. I was trying to toss him a decent build on pcpartpicker.com but this thing is so slow I need to leave already thanks cueuemore! Sorry I couldn't help furthermore Iamrock10 maybe if nobody has replied in about an hour or so I may be back on my PC at home to help you out!
  6. Ok, what is your budget? We can help you, but knowing that would help us.
  7. I was trying to stay around 750$ or 800$
  8. I just want to be able to play most games on med settings, I'm not playing farcry 2 or crysis 3 or black ops 2 or anything like that. I'm most likely gonna be playing f1 2012,splinter cell blacklist, and grid 2, and of course lower games like blacklight retribution, tf2, portal 2, and l4d2.
  9. Iamrock10-1387719 said:
    I was trying to stay around 750$ or 800$


    With that budget we can definitely help LOL! Let's see here I am home now bud so let me see what we can do?! Just to be super sure you're are US correct so we can go by US currency!?

    UPDATE: Almost finished with this build my question is did you want a specific case and also do you need an OS with this or do have things like an OS, keyboard/mouse and monitor?

    Another UPDATE: Let me know what you think about this and if you like it just let me know ok!? If not then let me know what you would to change!? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thekasafist/saved/29RA
  10. I am US, I don't have an OS, but I have a keyboard and mouse and a monitor
  11. Just a couple things, I was hoping for an intel prossesor, and even though it is a solid state drive, isn't 120 GB a little low?
  12. Iamrock10-1387719 said:
    Just a couple things, I was hoping for an intel prossesor, and even though it is a solid state drive, isn't 120 GB a little low?


    We could go with a HDD they're cheaper if you don't mind dealing with loading times. And I can work an Intel CPU in here and switch things up a bit gimme a little more time I should be able to figure out something.
  13. I just threw this together, what do you think?

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rda2
  14. Iamrock10 said:
    I just threw this together, what do you think?

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rda2




    LOL I just finished this one! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thekasafist/saved/29RA

    UPDATE: On the rig you put together I would not get the sound card nor the wireless adapter. Double check that mobo often times gigabyte mobo's have built in wireless and bluetooth. Get rid of the 200m fan to make it flashy later on, the case fans will do just fine in the short term. Otherwise that build is just fine my friend!
  15. what do you think of mine?
  16. Iamrock10 said:
    what do you think of mine?


    I updated my last post above with the adjustments you can make that you may or may not need upfront keep the build to what you really need like taking out that extra fan and making it look flashy later on. Also looking further into the mobo's specs because gigabyte often has pre-built wifi and bluetooth. On top of that The sound card shouldn't be necessary on board sound is fine unless it doesn't have on board which I highly doubt. Otherwise your rig is good to go!
  17. The Kasafist said:
    Iamrock10 said:
    I just threw this together, what do you think?

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rda2



    wont I need a sound card for the computer?

    LOL I just finished this one! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thekasafist/saved/29RA

    UPDATE: On the rig you put together I would not get the sound card nor the wireless adapter. Double check that mobo often times gigabyte mobo's have built in wireless and bluetooth. Get rid of the 200m fan to make it flashy later on, the case fans will do just fine in the short term. Otherwise that build is just fine my friend!


    Iamrock10 said:
    what do you think of mine?
  18. do all computer cases come with pre-installed fans?
  19. so I just finished with this, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rdWR , would this setup work for me to game on?
  20. Iamrock10 said:
    The Kasafist said:
    Iamrock10 said:
    I just threw this together, what do you think?

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rda2



    wont I need a sound card for the computer?

    LOL I just finished this one! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thekasafist/saved/29RA

    UPDATE: On the rig you put together I would not get the sound card nor the wireless adapter. Double check that mobo often times gigabyte mobo's have built in wireless and bluetooth. Get rid of the 200m fan to make it flashy later on, the case fans will do just fine in the short term. Otherwise that build is just fine my friend!


    Iamrock10 said:
    what do you think of mine?




    Iamrock10 said:
    so I just finished with this, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rdsd , would this setup work for me to game on?


    You my friend are good to go LOL! ;) :D Game time!!!:bounce:
  21. woooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
  22. thnx for all the help man, I didn't even know that pcpartpicker.com existed, I got sooo tired of looking at pre-built computers, and that website tells you the wattage and if the parts are compatible, thanx
  23. Iamrock10 said:
    thnx for all the help man, I didn't even know that pcpartpicker.com existed, I got sooo tired of looking at pre-built computers, and that website tells you the wattage and if the parts are compatible, thanx


    No problem just found out about 2 months ago myself LOL!
  24. Iamrock10 said:
    so I just finished with this, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rdWR , would this setup work for me to game on?


    That's a decent setup but you would need 64 bit windows to access the 8gb ram and I'm not sure that CPU cooler is any better than the stock one that comes with the CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Console Gaming Computers Systems