Solved

What kind of Video Card Should I get?

I'm trying to decide what kind of video card I should get. I don't want to go higher than ~160 (US Dollars). Here is what I wanted:

HIS Radeon HD 6970:
http://goo.gl/zcmU8W [goo.gl]

or

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 ti Boost:
http://goo.gl/ajGDw [goo.gl]

Which one is better?
I'm just wanting to play COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and Minecraft.
CPU: AMD FX-6100.
And yes, they both fit in my case.
And I also have enough power (650 Watts).
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about kind video card
  1. Those two cards are right about the same level of performance, but the GTX 650 Ti Boost is more refined (quieter, less power consumption) and has a better suite of technologies that go along with it (PhysX, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, TXAA, Geforce Experience, Shadowplay). The GTX 650 Ti Boost also gives a better upgrade path by offering better SLI performance if you were to add another card in the future (assuming your motherboard supports SLI).

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7870_Devil/26.html
  2. I would definitely not go with any of those two :P For the same price of 159.99$ You can get a 7850 2gb card from sapphire which is a really good company. The 6970 is not better than the 2gb 7850, but the 6970 oc edition is although each of that card is out of stock on new egg and may not be refilled, so you are better off with the 7850 twin frozr. It is also twin frozr, meaning has two fans, which is really good. Here is the new egg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998
    The 7850 also uses 120 less watts than the 6970 which will be very good. The 7850 2gb edition is the way to go.
  3. A couple better GTX 650 Ti Boost options.

    MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB $135 after rebate:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127730

    EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Superclocked $149 after rebate (same as the one you selected, but Superclocked for the same price):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130915

    Much better options for COD Black Ops 2.

  4. Best answer
    +1 for the GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB

    Better features, cooler, low-power, and not plagued by AMD's driver quirks
  5. rootbeerdan said:
    I'm trying to decide what kind of video card I should get. I don't want to go higher than ~160 (US Dollars). Here is what I wanted:

    HIS Radeon HD 6970:
    http://goo.gl/zcmU8W [goo.gl]

    or

    EVGA GeForce GTX 650 ti Boost:
    http://goo.gl/ajGDw [goo.gl]

    Which one is better?
    I'm just wanting to play COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4 and Minecraft.
    CPU: AMD FX-6100.
    And yes, they both fit in my case.
    And I also have enough power (650 Watts).


    For the $160 price range get the 650ti Boost... Way lower power consumption.

    But if you can spend another $20 at $179 you can get a 7870Ghz edition.
  6. ^ +1

    I was going to say the same thing. I would either go for a 7850 2GB or a 650-Ti-Boost 2GB. They cost about the same and perform about the same, so it only comes down to if you prefer AMD or nVidia, but both are great cards. Just pick a model that has a dual-fan setup ideally.
  7. Hey Dude! I just did some more research on pricing and found that new egg has the ghz edition of the 7870 for 185$ if you are willing to spend the extra 25$ They also have a mail-in rebate that gets the price down to 169.99$ which is 10$ more than your budget! Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
    An amazing card for an amaazing price! Enjoy!
  8. ^ +2

    OK never mind what I said, listen to this guy instead, lol! But seriously, if you can stretch your budget just a little and get a 7870 for just 10$ more that sounds like a sweet deal. Not so long ago, the 7870 was selling for 250$.
  9. $135 for the factory overclocked, custom cooled MSI Boost 2GB is absolutely unbeatable.
  10. 17seconds said:
    $135 for the factory overclocked, custom cooled MSI Boost 2GB is absolutely unbeatable.


    That too, considering he's on a tight budget and might not want to spend all of it and save 30$ or something. It also depends if he meant 160$ US before or after taxes + shipping.
  11. Vacka said:
    Hey Dude! I just did some more research on pricing and found that new egg has the ghz edition of the 7870 for 185$ if you are willing to spend the extra 25$ They also have a mail-in rebate that gets the price down to 169.99$ which is 10$ more than your budget! Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
    An amazing card for an amaazing price! Enjoy!


    I really don't want to spend more than 160 (US Dollars), But thanks for the help!
  12. Fortunately, we have a couple of charts from a respected review site to compare. Apparently, across 18 gaming benchmarks the GTX 650 Ti Boost is 5% faster than a 7850 and cheaper, so let's put that suggestion to bed shall we?

    In terms of the 7870, at stock rates the difference in COD is 3 FPS.... NOT worth the extra cost. In BF3, it's the same story, just a few meaningless FPS. Not worth the extra cost to give up on all the useful tech, let alone PhysX effects.
  13. jessterman21 said:
    +1 for the GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB

    Better features, cooler, low-power, and not plagued by AMD's driver quirks


    Yea, that's what I was thinking.
  14. I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?
  15. 17seconds said:
    I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?


    Aw come on 17s. I've got 11 more BAs til Master. You do deserve the credit, however.
  16. jessterman21 said:
    17seconds said:
    I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?


    Aw come on 17s. I've got 11 more BAs til Master. You do deserve the credit, however.

    I fully support your badge attainment, and do agree that your answer did help identify a logical Best Answer. But seriously, I was on TechPowerUp and scouring Newegg for deals, and then posting charts and links. That took some effort for which rootbeerdan reaped the benefits. I mean, a custom MSI card for $135? I just saved him $15 and got him a better card in the deal as well.

    Forum politics is funny. There's a guy who was gaming the forums, "Avilash98", through inappropriate tagging. As a result, I'm in second place in Nvidia, when I'm usually number one with a bullet. So now, I'm just trying to get back on top and get his cheating ass off the board listing as #1.
  17. 17seconds said:
    jessterman21 said:
    17seconds said:
    I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?


    Aw come on 17s. I've got 11 more BAs til Master. You do deserve the credit, however.

    I fully support your badge attainment, and do agree that your answer did help identify a logical Best Answer. But seriously, I was on TechPowerUp and scouring Newegg for deals, and then posting charts and links. That took some effort for which rootbeerdan reaped the benefits. I mean, a custom MSI card for $135? I just saved him $15 and got him a better card in the deal as well.

    Forum politics is funny. There's a guy who was gaming the forums, "Avilash98", through inappropriate tagging. As a result, I'm in second place in Nvidia, when I'm usually number one with a bullet. So now, I'm just trying to get back on top and get his cheating ass off the board listing as #1.


    I totally understand therfore I selected you as best answer for me. I too was searching up charts and prices all over new egg too :P and came up with a great offer on a 7870 ghz twin frozr. I feel you.
  18. Vacka said:
    17seconds said:
    jessterman21 said:
    17seconds said:
    I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?


    Aw come on 17s. I've got 11 more BAs til Master. You do deserve the credit, however.

    I fully support your badge attainment, and do agree that your answer did help identify a logical Best Answer. But seriously, I was on TechPowerUp and scouring Newegg for deals, and then posting charts and links. That took some effort for which rootbeerdan reaped the benefits. I mean, a custom MSI card for $135? I just saved him $15 and got him a better card in the deal as well.

    Forum politics is funny. There's a guy who was gaming the forums, "Avilash98", through inappropriate tagging. As a result, I'm in second place in Nvidia, when I'm usually number one with a bullet. So now, I'm just trying to get back on top and get his cheating ass off the board listing as #1.


    I totally understand therfore I selected you as best answer for me. I too was searching up charts and prices all over new egg too :P and came up with a great offer on a 7870 ghz twin frozr. I feel you.

    Thanks Vacka, but I truly don't care about a Best Answer. I have over 300 of them as it is. I just wanted to draw some attention and put some thoughts out there. And then the other part was not for me, but to see that there's some justice for the aforementioned cheater. That will happen at some point, probably later this week, so we'll let rootbeerdan have his own choice in his thread. Thanks.
  19. 17seconds said:
    Vacka said:
    17seconds said:
    jessterman21 said:
    17seconds said:
    I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?


    Aw come on 17s. I've got 11 more BAs til Master. You do deserve the credit, however.

    I fully support your badge attainment, and do agree that your answer did help identify a logical Best Answer. But seriously, I was on TechPowerUp and scouring Newegg for deals, and then posting charts and links. That took some effort for which rootbeerdan reaped the benefits. I mean, a custom MSI card for $135? I just saved him $15 and got him a better card in the deal as well.

    Forum politics is funny. There's a guy who was gaming the forums, "Avilash98", through inappropriate tagging. As a result, I'm in second place in Nvidia, when I'm usually number one with a bullet. So now, I'm just trying to get back on top and get his cheating ass off the board listing as #1.


    I totally understand therfore I selected you as best answer for me. I too was searching up charts and prices all over new egg too :P and came up with a great offer on a 7870 ghz twin frozr. I feel you.

    Thanks Vacka, but I truly don't care about a Best Answer. I have over 300 of them as it is. I just wanted to draw some attention and put some thoughts out there. And then the other part was not for me, but to see that there's some justice for the aforementioned cheater. That will happen at some point, probably later this week, so we'll let rootbeerdan have his own choice in his thread. Thanks.

    What have I done...
    I had no idea "Best answers" really matter to people. I just wanted an answer. All of you helped me out. If that makes you feel any better.
  20. rootbeerdan said:
    17seconds said:
    Vacka said:
    17seconds said:
    jessterman21 said:
    17seconds said:
    I guess you like concise answers better than time-consuming well-researched ones?


    Aw come on 17s. I've got 11 more BAs til Master. You do deserve the credit, however.

    I fully support your badge attainment, and do agree that your answer did help identify a logical Best Answer. But seriously, I was on TechPowerUp and scouring Newegg for deals, and then posting charts and links. That took some effort for which rootbeerdan reaped the benefits. I mean, a custom MSI card for $135? I just saved him $15 and got him a better card in the deal as well.

    Forum politics is funny. There's a guy who was gaming the forums, "Avilash98", through inappropriate tagging. As a result, I'm in second place in Nvidia, when I'm usually number one with a bullet. So now, I'm just trying to get back on top and get his cheating ass off the board listing as #1.


    I totally understand therfore I selected you as best answer for me. I too was searching up charts and prices all over new egg too :P and came up with a great offer on a 7870 ghz twin frozr. I feel you.

    Thanks Vacka, but I truly don't care about a Best Answer. I have over 300 of them as it is. I just wanted to draw some attention and put some thoughts out there. And then the other part was not for me, but to see that there's some justice for the aforementioned cheater. That will happen at some point, probably later this week, so we'll let rootbeerdan have his own choice in his thread. Thanks.

    What have I done...
    I had no idea "Best answers" really matter to people. I just wanted an answer. All of you helped me out. If that makes you feel any better.


    lOLOLOL :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Graphics Cards