Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD A4-3400 & Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 13, 2013 1:02:08 AM

Hi,

My problem started after playing Civ4 for 2 hours and when I decided to do some work, I opened a spreadsheet. while I was just viewing it the screen froze and everything on it is gibberish. Rebooted, after logging-in it crashed again. Rebooted again and this time the Logo/POST screen froze. So I stopped turning my pc on. the next day I had it checked by a technician and it run well, except only for the long Logo/POST screen time (compared before) and windows loads slow. Used it a couple of times during the day then this time, cold booting it after resting for an hour the Logo/POST screen time takes a long long time before loading windows. nearly a minute, can't go to BIOS since it won't respond during that time.

What is the possible problem? I have checked my hard drives for error using Seagate's SeaTools and found nothing.

Do I have a dying A4-3400? or a dying Mobo?

My pc specs:

AMD A4-3400
Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2
2gb G-skill ddr3 1333
385w HEC SilentOp PSU
Seagate 80Gb SATA
Hitachi 160Gb SATA

Right now it's working again, but I want to know which or what is the problem with my PC..

Thanks

Mike
August 13, 2013 1:08:10 AM

I think is motherboard or PSU
August 13, 2013 1:17:06 AM

Wolf Tfk said:
I think is motherboard or PSU


can i use prime95 (or other way) way to validate a motherboard problem? aside from swapping motherboard's..

my PSu is quite old and only at 385 watts, is it under wattage based on the requirements of the A4?
Related resources
August 13, 2013 1:25:03 AM

zeit082 said:
Wolf Tfk said:
I think is motherboard or PSU


can i use prime95 (or other way) way to validate a motherboard problem? aside from swapping motherboard's..

my PSu is quite old and only at 385 watts, is it under wattage based on the requirements of the A4?


Run prime 95 and download HWmonitor and write here the volts you get from readings
August 13, 2013 1:47:28 AM

Wolf Tfk said:
zeit082 said:
Wolf Tfk said:
I think is motherboard or PSU


can i use prime95 (or other way) way to validate a motherboard problem? aside from swapping motherboard's..

my PSu is quite old and only at 385 watts, is it under wattage based on the requirements of the A4?


Run prime 95 and download HWmonitor and write here the volts you get from readings


let Prime95 test for 9 minutes and here are the voltage readings:

GA-A55M-DS2
cpuvcore 1.416v
vin1 1.500v
+3.3v 2.004v
+5v 2.802v
+12v 7.968v
-12v -8.928v
-5v -8.928v
+5v vcch 2.802v
vbat 1.548v

Radeaon 6410D
vin0 1.000v

AMD A4-3400
Powers
Package 50.85w
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2013 1:48:55 AM

I'd say the PSU... Motherboard is kind of new, and it doesn't fail that fast. you can use hd tune pro trial, and check the health tab, if there are errors.

and after that readings, definetly psu.

Best solution

August 13, 2013 1:50:26 AM
Share

zeit082 said:
Wolf Tfk said:
zeit082 said:
Wolf Tfk said:
I think is motherboard or PSU


can i use prime95 (or other way) way to validate a motherboard problem? aside from swapping motherboard's..

my PSu is quite old and only at 385 watts, is it under wattage based on the requirements of the A4?


Run prime 95 and download HWmonitor and write here the volts you get from readings


let Prime95 test for 9 minutes and here are the voltage readings:

GA-A55M-DS2
cpuvcore 1.416v
vin1 1.500v
+3.3v 2.004v
+5v 2.802v
+12v 7.968v
-12v -8.928v
-5v -8.928v
+5v vcch 2.802v
vbat 1.548v

Radeaon 6410D
vin0 1.000v

AMD A4-3400
Powers
Package 50.85w


there is 60% chance that psu is bad
August 13, 2013 1:52:51 AM

razvan_mz said:
I'd say the PSU... Motherboard is kind of new, and it doesn't fail that fast. you can use hd tune pro trial, and check the health tab, if there are errors.

and after that readings, definetly psu.


will also test that..tnx

August 13, 2013 1:54:07 AM

Wolf Tfk said:
11343527,0,1388236 said:
11343478,0,1353899 said:


there is 60% chance that psu is bad
said:
said:


thanks, will do a last test using hd tune as suggested by razvan_mz..
August 13, 2013 2:08:39 AM

razvan_mz said:
I'd say the PSU... Motherboard is kind of new, and it doesn't fail that fast. you can use hd tune pro trial, and check the health tab, if there are errors.

and after that readings, definetly psu.


used HD Tune Pro, checked the health tab and no problems for the main drive (seagate 80gb) but i do have a warning for my 2nd drive (hitachi 160gb) "(C4)Reallocate Event Count, 98 (current), 98 (worst), 0 (threshold), 530(data), warning (status)

So its my Psu...

Thanks for all the Help Wolf Tfk and razvan_mz

a b à CPUs
August 13, 2013 2:27:20 AM

I have that kind of error on my notebook and when that portion of the disk has been occupied... the problem starts, had 2 partitions on it. 3 with the system reserved, so when I tried to power on, somehow my C: was seen as RAW and not NTFS, pain in the a**, with recovery programs. I full erased it with seatools, it is a seagate momentus 320gb. that part with relocated counts was reduced, but not fixed. I can still work with it, but I'm afraid that it might happen again and again. conclusion: ditch that HDD too. buy a new one, if you need more space and you don't want to lose important data.
August 15, 2013 3:04:29 AM

razvan_mz said:
I have that kind of error on my notebook and when that portion of the disk has been occupied... the problem starts, had 2 partitions on it. 3 with the system reserved, so when I tried to power on, somehow my C: was seen as RAW and not NTFS, pain in the a**, with recovery programs. I full erased it with seatools, it is a seagate momentus 320gb. that part with relocated counts was reduced, but not fixed. I can still work with it, but I'm afraid that it might happen again and again. conclusion: ditch that HDD too. buy a new one, if you need more space and you don't want to lose important data.


Thanks razvan_mz, yeah I'm afraid I have to get a new hdd also.. swapped Psu's already and looks like it's stable.. but the voltage readings are nearly the same as before..

here is the new voltage readings:

GA-A55M-DS2
cpuvcore 1.416v
vin1 1.500v
+3.3v 2.040v
+5v 2.822v
+12v 8.016v
-12v -8.928v
-5v -8.928v
+5v vcch 2.802v
vbat 1.548v
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2013 3:41:08 AM

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I would also recommend a BIOS update, you'll have to enter your revision which is inscripted on the motherboard. and then choose a newer bios. not beta. (beta if it's only one bios release).
if you have power management programs, disable them to get a reading, or you could run a game, then put it in background and check readings.
August 15, 2013 4:29:17 AM

razvan_mz said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I would also recommend a BIOS update, you'll have to enter your revision which is inscripted on the motherboard. and then choose a newer bios. not beta. (beta if it's only one bios release).
if you have power management programs, disable them to get a reading, or you could run a game, then put it in background and check readings.



But if update fails somehow your motherboard will be useless ,then you will need to buy HEW ONE.
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2013 4:45:04 AM

GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ is a patented technology that automatically recovers BIOS data when the main BIOS has crashed or failed. Featuring 2 physical BIOS ROMs integrated onboard, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ allows quick and seamless recovery from BIOS damage or failure due to viruses or improper BIOS updating. In addition, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ now supports 3TB+ (terabyte) hard drive booting without the need for partitioning, and enables more data storage on a single hard drive.

and the duration to update is about 2 min... what are the chances?
August 15, 2013 4:46:09 AM

razvan_mz said:
GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ is a patented technology that automatically recovers BIOS data when the main BIOS has crashed or failed. Featuring 2 physical BIOS ROMs integrated onboard, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ allows quick and seamless recovery from BIOS damage or failure due to viruses or improper BIOS updating. In addition, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ now supports 3TB+ (terabyte) hard drive booting without the need for partitioning, and enables more data storage on a single hard drive.

and the duration to update is about 2 min... what are the chances?

Yea sorry didnt see that :)  i seen it too late
August 15, 2013 5:10:27 AM

razvan_mz said:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I would also recommend a BIOS update, you'll have to enter your revision which is inscripted on the motherboard. and then choose a newer bios. not beta. (beta if it's only one bios release).
if you have power management programs, disable them to get a reading, or you could run a game, then put it in background and check readings.


i was thinking the same thing, a bios update.. there are 2 available on the gigabyte site for rev 2.1: F1 ( 1st release) and the F2b (Beta)..

power management programs... none, windows 7 has pre-installed and its on "high performance" settings already.

also played Civ4 again just to check readings and it did not have any unusual spikes on the voltage readings.

downloading an updated chipset driver for the motherboard, just in case this would clear things..

will try that bios updated later..

!