Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can you lower the cost of this build to 900 pounds?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 13, 2013 10:13:39 AM

The i7 is a must due to Video rendering which I do a lot of the time, I also want a gaming PC which can run the likes of BF3 at Max/Ultra settings. I'm not intending to OC that's why I haven't gone with the k version.

Most of the parts can be changed apart from the i7, and SSD.

Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rgpe
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rgpe/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rgpe/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($7.15 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($145.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.95 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($438.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($152.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: AZIO Levetron Clicker Wired Standard Keyboard ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1601.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 13:09 EDT-0400)
August 13, 2013 10:19:55 AM

well problem is the i7, ssd, OS, Monitor is not going to help with lowering cost, this is also in USD. You dont have a case listed and 900 isnt enough for what you are wanting
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:27:23 AM

Yes, there is very little there to trim, maybe a 20-40 on RAM if you get a deal, you could drop the 770 to a 670 and get one with a rebate, that might save 100 or so. Obviously that keyboard and mouse aren't budget options, and if you're not in the US I don't think you will be able to order from Microcenter. Your best bet may be to look out for deals, I know I got my 128gb 830 at like 80 bucks when the 840 came out.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 13, 2013 10:31:11 AM

Honestly you're going to have to pick and choose. You can find a nice 23" monitor for around $100 which is 2/3rds the cost of what you have listed. You have to find it on sale but they're out there.

If you have to have an SSD get a smaller one to run your OS and the 1 or 2 programs you feel absolutely need to run off the SSD. That would probably also run around 2/3rds of the cost of what you have listed for the SSD.

Don't spend more than $20 on a keyboard if you're on a tight budget. In fact, if you can re-use the one you have now do that for the keyboard and the mouse. Upgrade those later when you can afford to. (The same can be said of the monitor)

How close does that bring you to 900 Pounds and as stated do you still need a case?
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:31:15 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
well problem is the i7, ssd, OS, Monitor is not going to help with lowering cost, this is also in USD. You dont have a case listed and 900 isnt enough for what you are wanting


Seeing as I'm enthusiastic about Video editing and gaming could you put together a system worth 900 pounds? Might decided to leave out the SSD until I can afford.
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:33:38 AM

well, you don't need the thermal paste. Other than that, the only major cuts would be to items you don't want cut.

Only advice I can give is grab some used parts off amazon/ebay/craigslist, or wait for deals.
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:36:01 AM

ncasolo said:
Honestly you're going to have to pick and choose. You can find a nice 23" monitor for around $100 which is 2/3rds the cost of what you have listed. You have to find it on sale but they're out there.

If you have to have an SSD get a smaller one to run your OS and the 1 or 2 programs you feel absolutely need to run off the SSD. That would probably also run around 2/3rds of the cost of what you have listed for the SSD.

Don't spend more than $20 on a keyboard if you're on a tight budget. In fact, if you can re-use the one you have now do that for the keyboard and the mouse. Upgrade those later when you can afford to. (The same can be said of the monitor)

How close does that bring you to 900 Pounds and as stated do you still need a case?


I thought about leaving the SSD out until I can actually afford the 256GB one which is what I was initially after. The keyboard, Mouse and Monitor will be taken out and revised, don't know what I was thinking there with a budget. Yeah I do need a case.
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:44:16 AM

Good build from RTB below as well. My humble suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£58.89 @ Dabs)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£86.51 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£194.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.10 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.94 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£93.14 @ Dabs)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-K6800 Wired Standard Keyboard (£9.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse (£45.03 @ Ebuyer)

Total: £913.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:46:21 AM

quilciri said:
revising >.<


Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 10:53:10 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£158.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £920.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 18:47 BST+0100)

i cant go any lower, this is what i can do sorry if it wont work but that budget is near impossible
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 11:01:22 AM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£158.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £920.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 18:47 BST+0100)

i cant go any lower, this is what i can do sorry if it wont work but that budget is near impossible


I'm in a tricky situation where I really want to keep the GTX 770, might even drop to the i5.. would like to see a few other builds.
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 11:04:49 AM

Tino720p said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£158.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £920.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 18:47 BST+0100)

i cant go any lower, this is what i can do sorry if it wont work but that budget is near impossible


I'm in a tricky situation where I really want to keep the GTX 770, might even drop to the i5.. would like to see a few other builds.


ok my question is what do you actually do? do you game daily? do you render out longer HD videos 20+min? Do you do Actual Video editing every day?
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 12:19:27 PM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
Tino720p said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£158.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £920.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 18:47 BST+0100)

i cant go any lower, this is what i can do sorry if it wont work but that budget is near impossible


I'm in a tricky situation where I really want to keep the GTX 770, might even drop to the i5.. would like to see a few other builds.


ok my question is what do you actually do? do you game daily? do you render out longer HD videos 20+min? Do you do Actual Video editing every day?


I make videos everyday and am planning to game a lot, especially when BF4 is out.
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 12:21:23 PM

Tino720p said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
Tino720p said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£158.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £920.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 18:47 BST+0100)

i cant go any lower, this is what i can do sorry if it wont work but that budget is near impossible


I'm in a tricky situation where I really want to keep the GTX 770, might even drop to the i5.. would like to see a few other builds.


ok my question is what do you actually do? do you game daily? do you render out longer HD videos 20+min? Do you do Actual Video editing every day?


I make videos everyday and am planning to game a lot, especially when BF4 is out.


so im assuming you are a "youtuber" or trying to be and your videos are most likely 12min long so an i5 would be find or going with an AMD would also work fine
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 12:47:01 PM

RaisingTheBarHD said:
Tino720p said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
Tino720p said:
RaisingTheBarHD said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£216.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£158.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £920.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 18:47 BST+0100)

i cant go any lower, this is what i can do sorry if it wont work but that budget is near impossible


I'm in a tricky situation where I really want to keep the GTX 770, might even drop to the i5.. would like to see a few other builds.


ok my question is what do you actually do? do you game daily? do you render out longer HD videos 20+min? Do you do Actual Video editing every day?


I make videos everyday and am planning to game a lot, especially when BF4 is out.


so im assuming you are a "youtuber" or trying to be and your videos are most likely 12min long so an i5 would be find or going with an AMD would also work fine


I'm wanting to do BF4 videos as a hobby, I think I will go with an i5 then. Would you please help me build a nice gaming rig?
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 12:56:40 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.77 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£204.91 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£85.02 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gigabyte Force K3 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£28.39 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kova+ Wired Optical Mouse (£38.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £918.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-13 20:54 BST+0100)

i cant get a 770 into there but the 760 will get you about 73fps on average maxed out 1080p and the 770 will only get about 90 so you arent taking a huge hit there unless you have a 120hz monitor which you are running a 60hz so you can only do 60fps anyway so a 760 will work fine for you.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/25/nvidia-gefo...
m
0
l
August 13, 2013 1:20:56 PM

I haven't really kept to up to date on the latest GPU's, but PCPartPicker shows an Asus DirectCU 2 670 for about 185 Pounds, personally that's what I'd go for, I have one of those 670's and a Gigabyte Windforce 3x 670 and I love em both.
m
0
l
!