Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Registered Ram for Amd FX CPU

Last response: in Memory
Share
August 14, 2013 2:04:25 AM

Hey guys,

i am looking to upgrade my gaming rig and have decided upon an FX 6350 mainly because i intend to reuse 32GB server grade ECC ram i have currently no real need for in the server;)

While i have seen that the FX supports ECC Ram (eg on the Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (alternatives?) i am not sure whether thats *registered* RAM or not ...
I have these modules - discontinued so not on any compatibility list any more but they run fine in an Asus Opteron board ...
KVR1333D3D4R9SK2/8G

Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Capacity 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Speed DDR3 1333
Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V
ECC - Yes
Buffered/Registered - Registered

I could simply order board/cpu and test it but thats too much hassle - so if there's any knowledge about ...

Thanks,.
Thomas

More about : registered ram amd cpu

a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
August 14, 2013 2:33:34 AM

Most motherboards will support ECC memory modules.
As you know in order to run the memory the bios of the board will have an option to switch between standard memory and the double parity memory.

Take note of the make and model number, the memory I intend to put in it, and the voltage the sticks run at.

Then I would do a search via google to the makers website of the board.
Download the online pdf manual for the board and do a check that way.
m
0
l
August 14, 2013 2:37:42 AM

Shaun o said:

Then I would do a search via google to the makers website of the board.
Download the online pdf manual for the board and do a check that way.


Good advice and i've already done that :)  Unfortunately the QVL List for memory modules (for the Asus board in particular) is rather limited and i am not even sure it contains ECC Ram at all lest registered modules.
More googleing indicates its probably not going to work but i thought someone here had already tried and or looked closer into that topic...
So basically Unbuffered ECC Ram very likely, Registered ECC rather not from what i see up till now
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
August 14, 2013 2:52:57 AM

Well for example I have ECC memory in this system I am typing on.
It`s an old board, a Asus M2N-SLI.
The the memory was not in the qualified vendor list, but it still works fine.
There are that many memory sticks out there that no board vendor is going to test every single brand or type.

But if the list covers a wide range then the chances are the memory will work as all memory has to conform to the Jedec standard.
m
0
l
August 14, 2013 3:06:37 AM

Shaun o said:
Well for example I have ECC memory in this system I am typing on.
It`s an old board, a Asus M2N-SLI.
The the memory was not in the qualified vendor list, but it still works fine.
There are that many memory sticks out there that no board vendor is going to test every single brand or type.

But if the list covers a wide range then the chances are the memory will work as all memory has to conform to the Jedec standard.


Ah but do you use ECC registered Ram or unbuffered?;)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/309975-30-sabertooth-990fx
More pointers to "not working" :( 

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 174 } Memory
August 14, 2013 2:27:30 PM

Rand__ said:
Hey guys,

i am looking to upgrade my gaming rig and have decided upon an FX 6350 mainly because i intend to reuse 32GB server grade ECC ram i have currently no real need for in the server;)

While i have seen that the FX supports ECC Ram (eg on the Asus CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (alternatives?) i am not sure whether thats *registered* RAM or not ...
I have these modules - discontinued so not on any compatibility list any more but they run fine in an Asus Opteron board ...
KVR1333D3D4R9SK2/8G

Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Capacity 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Speed DDR3 1333
Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V
ECC - Yes
Buffered/Registered - Registered

I could simply order board/cpu and test it but thats too much hassle - so if there's any knowledge about ...

Thanks,.
Thomas

Well, the good news is that you did not try it and the bad news is CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z does not support ECC memory let alone support Registered ECC memory.

There is a difference between Registered ECC memory and unbuffered (unregistered ECC) memory. Both don't work together when installed simultaneously. Btw, why registered ECC memory for a GAMING Rig?? ECC memory is slower than Non-ECC memory and moreover Registered ECC is more slower than ECC.

IMO, do not go with Registered ECC memory it's just not the right choice. Hope that helps!!
m
0
l
August 15, 2013 12:31:17 AM

Legohouse said:

Well, the good news is that you did not try it and the bad news is CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z does not support ECC memory let alone support Registered ECC memory.

Ah i think you're wrong there - from the Asus Web page Mobo memory specification:
Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
And 990FX Chipset supports ECC in general i think - maybe depends on the mobo manufacturer whether its really implemented though, no idea;)

Legohouse said:

There is a difference between Registered ECC memory and unbuffered (unregistered ECC) memory. Both don't work together when installed simultaneously. Btw, why registered ECC memory for a GAMING Rig?? ECC memory is slower than Non-ECC memory and moreover Registered ECC is more slower than ECC.

IMO, do not go with Registered ECC memory it's just not the right choice. Hope that helps!!

Well basically the reason was to save money;) I already have those 32gb Reg Ram (RDimms) and dont really need them in the server they are in right now, got them fairly cheap back when i put that system together.
I am not looking for the fastest machine out there, i prefer a cool/silent system so while i've read that RDimms are slower i didn't assume to have a massive impact... if those mem modules have a cas latency of 9 and they take another cpu cycle and brings them to 10 or 11 (as I've read somewhere) than the actual impact is only 10 or 20% on mem which in turn will only be a small part of the complete system performance...
But you are right with the unbuffered/registered difference; FX990 seems to support unbuffered Modules only... i assume there have to be some differences to the server chipset after all...
m
0
l
!