$500 budget build, please comment

Karl Hakk

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Hello,

I would like to start by saying that I am from Latvia, so the available stuff for me is limited and my main question here is - do you see any bottlenecks or overkills in this system build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1rYCr
Yes, a $500 budget is with a monitor.

A small correction - I will be buying the case without the PSU (actual cost of the case w/o PSU in Latvia is about $25) and using a PSU that I already have. It is a rather crappy Energon, but my gaming PC survived with it for a year and it has 650W, so hopefully this build will not even come close to testing its limits.

The PC will be used mainly for Microsoft Office and online surfing with Windows 7 operating system on it, the only reason for 8GB ram and the dedicated graphics card is that the user will want to be able to use Photoshop. I know that an awful lot of money can be spent to build a proper PC for Photoshop, but the main point here is that it is possible to use photoshop without experiencing freezes and unbearable lags.

The system will not be used for gaming or overclocking.

So given this information, is this a well rounded build? Maybe there is something that can be downgraded without noticeable performance losses or is there something that slows all the system down? (please don't just say that all of it is slow - I am fully aware it's nothing special.)

I don't know, maybe I should go a completely different route with this one - your input will be greatly appreciated. :)

Solution
Since you will not be playing games, I'd probably drop the graphics card completely, but get the i3-3225 CPU instead, for HD4000 graphics (and better QuickSync). If that CPU is not available, then get a HD6570 or GT440 instead.
Your build is reasonable, considering the budget.

There is no need at all for a discrete graphics card; integrated graphics will be fine.
If you did want one, I think photoshop can use the CUDA capabilities of an inexpensive Nvidia card.
Do some research on that; I am no expert there.
Since photoshop can use lots of ram for workfiles, I might spend the graphics money on 16gb of ram instead.

If there is any way you can work a 120gb SSD into the budget, do that. It makes everything you do feel so much quicker.

And... a cheap psu can become very expensive if it fails and damages what it is connected to.

Since you will not be playing games, I'd probably drop the graphics card completely, but get the i3-3225 CPU instead, for HD4000 graphics (and better QuickSync). If that CPU is not available, then get a HD6570 or GT440 instead.

Solution

Karl Hakk

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the comments!

current processor + gpu setup in prices available to me:
i3 3220 - $121,47
HD6670 - $70,75
Total - $192,22
Price of the proposed options:
i3 3225 - $149,23
HD6570 - $61,09
GT440 - $75,21 (so obviously not this one)

If I change my 8gb ram to 16gb it is a price bump from $56,11 to $104.

So if I choose to have no dedicated GPU and take i3 3225 + 16gb ram that would cost me about $5 more than what I had drawn up now - would you say this is the better setup for Photoshop?

Edit - About the SSD - yes it is a great upgrade, I have a 120GB Kingston V300 on my gaming PC and it is by far my favourite upgrade, but this build is under a strict budget and a SSD at this stage is a no go unfortunately.

Karl Hakk

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Thank you for the input. I guess this will be my last question regarding this build - the Kingston ram runs at 1.65V while PC parts picker says that Ivy Bridge max recommendation is 1.575. Is it something that I should be worried about, as in will the RAM run at lower than advertised clock rates? If so, can you point me to a decent DDR3 RAM running 1600 mhz that draws 1.5V?