7970-Lagging and stuttering and skipping frames,low usage,random FPS.

masakruwolverine

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Brand new GPU bought from a trusted guy.
I used to have a 7850 which played games at lower FPS but no stutter was involved.
I can't play anything on this!
God damn it,please help me...
I run it with a Core i7 860 at 4.0Ghz and I can't play anything without lag or frame skipping or stutter and so on.
I have a PSU by Cooler Master,Real Power M620 80PLUS.
I've tried everything.
Windows reinstall,latest drivers,I get same scores in Fire Strike Extreme as people running better CPUs yet in games it goes crazy,everything's unplayable.
Yes,I do max the games at 1080p but no all the settings and there's no reason for havng 120FPS now and all of the sudden freezes,stutters,skips,etc..
I runs stable at 12V with drops of 11,6 max.
It also runs at the clocks it should run in games,it also has a nice temp of 60C.
There's nothing else I can try.
Runs good and cool in Windows and shows no errors.
I've checked everything.

What next?
Please,help me guys,just tell me what's wrong so I can buy or fix it.

Solution
I've just fixed it today,thank God.
My CPU overclock was really stable in stress tests yet in real life it needed more voltage to run properly,just a little so the stutter can go away . (as linpack tests confirm now).
Raised the voltage,lowered the multiplier and I've also raised my memory really close to their factory clocks and manually set latencies.(I was running them downclocked before).
Everything excellent now.
Crysis 3,max settings,50 FPS to 34FPS,that sounds decent,right?
I get slowdowns,but you can tell that it's not a stutter,it's caused by a really stressed GPU.
Cheers guys and thanks for all your help!
Happy,happy,happy ! :D

bero213

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
something is failing .. try replacing each component like .. mbo then ram then the gpu itselt which is the most important part... cpu and psu as well.. i can't tell ya what's the problem but most probably the gpu itself

Can you upload some screen shots it's possible the gpu is faulty bud.I would also recommend you test the memory with something like Memtest86 is a completely free, stand-alone, and extremely easy to use memory test software program.

Simply download the ISO image from Memtest86's site and burn it to a disc. After that, just restart to boot from the disc and you're off.

masakruwolverine

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

masakruwolverine

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I am glad to say that the issue has been somehow fixed.
I don't stutter anymore in games.
Well,I actually do stutter 1 time and one time only,but that's just the HDD,when I start the game but in games all the lag and stutter or almost all has been removed.
What I did is disable the AMD sound outpout,set the GPU 5Mhz lower,set the power settings to +20% and force V-SYNC always ON in games.
I really don't know which of the following did the trick,all I know is that I can now enjoy my GPU the way I should since day one.
PS:Do you guys think my PC is next-gen games proof?
Cheers.

masakruwolverine

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Guys,I´m back and I bring bad news(at least for me)...
The stutter is back and it´s worse than ever now...
At least I have some fresh info about what´s happening when the PC stutters,so you guys can judge about it.
So,my GPU is buzzing in games(it´s normal,according to users having the same issue) yet,when the stutter occurs the buzz pauses and then buzzes again.
So,if the GPU buzzes under load and the buzzing stops/pauses when the stutter happens,is that the GPU throttling down due to insuficient power,therefore a faulty PSU?
When gaming at 60+FPS,it buzzes but when it stutters it stops buzzing and then back to good 60FPS and then stutter and then buzzing stops again and so on...
What do you guys make of it?
Please,help me work this out,IT´S FCKING DRIVING ME INSANE :(
Does it help that I say that I bought the PSU as refurbished 2 years ago?
Cheers.
PS:When gaming,and this is odd,GPU-Z says that the +12V rail of the PSU stays at 11.90 or 11.70,therefore,showing no issues with the PSU delivering the power...
WHAT THE FCK?

firaaero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Yeah thats 'coil whine' im pretty sure. I normally get this on my 7970 (along with your stutter issues) also this only happens to me in hitman absolution menus since i get about 3000fps and then the whine usually kicks in. Not sure about yours. Could be a faulty card. The first two 7970's ive had were faulty. The first xfx black edition had artifacts and kept bluescreening. RMA's it for another XFX to see if it would fix anything. Same problem, not with my Gigabyte 7970 ghz edition 3gb. Now this stutter issue :/ been like this since like 13.4 drivers when i got it i think :/

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
what game are you playing ? make sure download 13.6beta drivers and turn off ULPS in registry just google AMD ULP off should be software or a manual guide how to do it. if you can't find it let me know, also use driver sweeper and remove all AMD drivers and get latest beta one's

FinalHunter

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

13.6 or the 13.8 beta driver (2) since they just released a new version on the 19th...

masakruwolverine

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I've just fixed it today,thank God.
My CPU overclock was really stable in stress tests yet in real life it needed more voltage to run properly,just a little so the stutter can go away . (as linpack tests confirm now).
Raised the voltage,lowered the multiplier and I've also raised my memory really close to their factory clocks and manually set latencies.(I was running them downclocked before).
Everything excellent now.
Crysis 3,max settings,50 FPS to 34FPS,that sounds decent,right?
I get slowdowns,but you can tell that it's not a stutter,it's caused by a really stressed GPU.
Cheers guys and thanks for all your help!
Happy,happy,happy ! :D

Solution