Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

nvidia GTX 690 or AMD 7990?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 14, 2013 11:16:49 PM

I have a maximus V Gene motherboard with a 3770k and a Asus 660ti . Since i bought my 1600 reso monitor i'm getting really nasty FPS on games like BF3 and FC3 and I want to play crysis 3 but i'm damn sure that my card cant handle it.

my motherboard only has 2 3.0 slots so SLI is not a good option for me. Thats why I want to buy a dual gpu graphics card ( I want to keep one slot free for future upgrade). Which one should I choose? 690 or 7990?

Personally i prefer nvidia but i'm not a fanboy. If there is some ood reason to choose 7990 over the 690. I'll do that definitely. :D 
August 14, 2013 11:20:58 PM

In most benchmarks, the 7990 beats the 690 out almost every time. Not to mention that AMD recently dropped the price of the 7990 down to around $650-$700. But I don't know you could find one anywhere...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 168 À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a c 431 Î Nvidia
a c 639 U Graphics card
August 14, 2013 11:32:43 PM

Some will say that the recent price drop of the 7990 make it worth it over a GTX 690. The reality is, the card is still overpriced. The 7990 was discontinued after only a couple months on the market. It is simply not a desirable option for several reasons, frame latency for one, which hasn't been completely fixed. The 7990 is also plagued by epic coil whine that Tom's Hardware describes as a "parasitic noise".
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-revi...

TechPowerUp described the noise this way:
"What is a major issue, though, is the extremely annoying coil whine the card emits as soon as it runs a 3D application. The whine is generated by resonating power circuitry coils and is a problem that can be resolved; it's just an engineering challenge. NVIDIA did so for the GTX 690 and GTX Titan; both cards don't have such coil whine issues. On the HD 7990, however, it is very apparent, and I don't understand how AMD missed such a glaring problem. I talked to five other reviewers and they all confirm it, so it's not an isolated issue. What makes the whine even more apparent is that it is constantly changing pitch and volume, drawing your attention to it by effectively overpowering the fans' "whoosh" sound."

The driver support is so bad, it also prompted this rant from TechPowerUp:
"However, we've also seen many games that do not scale well, and they make up a significant portion of our tests. Out of eighteen titles, five did not scale, or worse, showed negative scaling. These are not small titles, but big AAA games: Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, F1 2012, StarCraft II, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft. What really surprises me is that this long list is the same as the one we had with our reviews of HD 7990 "New Zealand" implementations by board partners, like the ASUS ROG ARES II and PowerColor Devil 13. So either AMD does not care or can't fix CrossFire support with these games millions of people play."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/31.html


On the other hand, the GTX 690 is more expensive, but clearly a better option than the 7990. It is quiet, has very good driver support, it is still the most powerful video card you can buy, and it comes with the full benefits of the Nvidia ecosystem, of which you are fully familiar.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 14, 2013 11:38:06 PM

17seconds said:
Some will say that the recent price drop of the 7990 make it worth it over a GTX 690. The reality is, the card is still overpriced. The 7990 was discontinued after only a couple months on the market. It is simply not a desirable option for several reasons, frame latency for one, which hasn't been completely fixed. The 7990 is also plagued by epic coil whine that Tom's Hardware describes as a "parasitic noise".
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-revi...

TechPowerUp described the noise this way:
"What is a major issue, though, is the extremely annoying coil whine the card emits as soon as it runs a 3D application. The whine is generated by resonating power circuitry coils and is a problem that can be resolved; it's just an engineering challenge. NVIDIA did so for the GTX 690 and GTX Titan; both cards don't have such coil whine issues. On the HD 7990, however, it is very apparent, and I don't understand how AMD missed such a glaring problem. I talked to five other reviewers and they all confirm it, so it's not an isolated issue. What makes the whine even more apparent is that it is constantly changing pitch and volume, drawing your attention to it by effectively overpowering the fans' "whoosh" sound."

The driver support is so bad, it also prompted this rant from TechPowerUp:
"However, we've also seen many games that do not scale well, and they make up a significant portion of our tests. Out of eighteen titles, five did not scale, or worse, showed negative scaling. These are not small titles, but big AAA games: Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, F1 2012, StarCraft II, Skyrim, and World of Warcraft. What really surprises me is that this long list is the same as the one we had with our reviews of HD 7990 "New Zealand" implementations by board partners, like the ASUS ROG ARES II and PowerColor Devil 13. So either AMD does not care or can't fix CrossFire support with these games millions of people play."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/31.html


On the other hand, the GTX 690 is more expensive, but clearly a better option than the 7990. It is quiet, has very good driver support, it is still the most powerful video card you can buy, and it comes with the full benefits of the Nvidia ecosystem, of which you are fully familiar.


AMD has released new drivers; 13.8 to be specific.

And I've found recent Nvidia drivers to be utter sh*t. For example, with the 326.19 driver made Fo3, FNV, and GTAIV literally unplayable, so I scurried back to the 314.22 driver. And I've felt reluctant to upgrade to the 320.49 drivers for the same reason.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 12:31:53 AM

ok,

1st 7990-

6 gigs that means 3 gigs per core. some newer games are already pushing that 2GB VRAM mark with HD textures so the 3GB may last you longer in future games. AND 3gb per gpu with 384-bit bus is much more valuable than the GTX 690

FASTEST DUAL GPU CARD AVAILABLE IN THIS PLANET. after discontinuation of the ARES 2 .


690

silent, less noise because of the state of the art carbon fibre jet engine cooling system :p 

Better driver support.

But i hate 690's because of one reason that its dump the hot air inside the cabinet. that idea keeps card cool but cabinet temp can effect the cpu's performance if there isn't some proper ventilation.


My suggestion

Since you are dealing with high resolution go with the 7990. beacuse of the 3gigs per gpu. If noise isnt a option to worry about. Both nvidia and amd has its own driver problems with different hardwares. And when it comes with AMDs crappy driver, then that was a issue of 2111-2012.



Comparison


The Geforce GTX 690 has core speeds of 915 MHz on the GPU, and 1502 MHz on the 2048 MB of GDDR5 memory. It features 1536 SPUs along with 128 Texture Address Units and 32 Rasterization Operator Units.
Compare all that to the Radeon HD 7990, which comes with core speeds of 950 MHz on the GPU, and 1500 MHz on the 3072 MB of GDDR5 memory. It features 2048 SPUs as well as 128 TAUs and 32 Rasterization Operator Units.

Power Usage and Theoretical Benchmarks

Power Consumption (Max TDP)

Geforce GTX 690 300 Watts
Radeon HD 7990 375 Watts
Difference: 75 Watts (25%)

Memory Bandwidth

Theoretically, the Radeon HD 7990 should be quite a bit faster than the Geforce GTX 690 in general.

Radeon HD 7990 576000 MB/sec
Geforce GTX 690 384512 MB/sec
Difference: 191488 (50%)


Texel Rate

The Radeon HD 7990 is a small bit (more or less 4%) more effective at texture filtering than the Geforce GTX 690.
Radeon HD 7990 243200 Mtexels/sec
Geforce GTX 690 234240 Mtexels/sec
Difference: 8960 (4%)

Pixel Rate

If using a high resolution is important to you, then the Radeon HD 7990 is a better option.
Radeon HD 7990 60800 Mpixels/se
Geforce GTX 690 58560 Mpixels/sec
Difference: 2240 (4%)
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 12:35:43 AM

Save yourself the headache and just settle with the 780. It's cheaper, and 'only' 30% slower, nothing in comparison to the issues Crossfire faces.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 12:56:29 AM

cookybiscuit said:
Save yourself the headache and just settle with the 780. It's cheaper, and 'only' 30% slower, nothing in comparison to the issues Crossfire faces.


why pay nearly about the same to get somthing slower ?

780 is 100% slower than 7990 in memory bandwidth which is really necessory and nearly about 50% in Texel Rate and 50% in Pixel Rate. When dealing a higher resolution like 1600 a 780 stands no chance against a 7990.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 1:03:30 AM

There are also some issues with SLI. I can tell if there is a need.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 1:34:06 AM

KAIJER said:
cookybiscuit said:
Save yourself the headache and just settle with the 780. It's cheaper, and 'only' 30% slower, nothing in comparison to the issues Crossfire faces.


why pay nearly about the same to get somthing slower ?

780 is 100% slower than 7990 in memory bandwidth which is really necessory and nearly about 50% in Texel Rate and 50% in Pixel Rate. When dealing a higher resolution like 1600 a 780 stands no chance against a 7990.

None of those bandwidth or texel rate numbers mean anything in the real world, 4 Way Crossfire would pull some impressive numbers if you were to look at it like that, but it doesn't mean anything for actually playing games.

The gap is actually less than I thought, but lets say this review is a little optimistic, in favour of the 780. Is a few FPS here or there really worth the heat, power and certainty of Crossfire issues? That's for the OP to decide, but for me, hell no.
m
0
l
August 15, 2013 2:30:14 AM

okk, made the decision ! I'm buying the 7990 and i will buy another one within 6 months. Since there is only 2 slots avilable in my mobo at least with this i can build a quad gpu gaming rig with 12 gb of vram. no to 690 because of the heat issue. I'm using corsair 600t and i dont think its a well ventilated case.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 5:05:26 AM

royceda59 said:
okk, made the decision ! I'm buying the 7990 and i will buy another one within 6 months. Since there is only 2 slots avilable in my mobo at least with this i can build a quad gpu gaming rig with 12 gb of vram. no to 690 because of the heat issue. I'm using corsair 600t and i dont think its a well ventilated case.

Going jump in and tell you how terrible an idea that is. For one, 4 way Crossfire is terrible, this is true with SLI too, 4 GPU's do not scale at all. In some games performance is even worse than 2 way, games just can't use 4 cores.

Also by going over 2 GPU's on a Crossfire setup you cancel out the recent driver fix and open yourself up to this. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-bench...

And by having two 7990's you open yourself up to this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-cros...

Not only will two 780's actually work, it will be faster. Do that instead.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 168 À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a c 431 Î Nvidia
a c 639 U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 12:50:48 PM

Yeah, you've been mislead if part of your decision came down to the "heat issue" of the GTX 690. The GTX 690 does ventilate some of its heat outside the case with its radial fan array. The 7990 exhausts all of its heat inside the case, which is even worse because it is based on a much less efficient GPU that ...... produces more heat than the GK104 chip used in the GTX 690. With poor ventilation, the GTX 690 is a way better choice.

You have also been mislead into thinking that the 13.8 drivers "fixed everything". They do not work in DirectX 9 games (COD, Skyrim, etc.). They do not work on multiple monitors, and they certainly don't fix the on-going issue with game compatibility for which Crossfire is a well known offender. Several big AAA game titles are simply not going to be supported and will only run with one GPU.

Finally, your final bit of folly is your plan to Crossfire/Quad-GPU a pair of 7990's. All you need to do is read this review from Tom's Hardware, one of the only sites that actually tried. To save you some time.... exactly your reason for choosing them... They overheat and absolutely do not work at all because the heat causes the GPUs to throttle. Meanwhile, GTX 690's in SLI work wonderfully in a high end system.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-cros...

Quotes:
"A single Radeon HD 7990 has a distinct set of issues. Some can be solved; others cannot. The frame pacing issues pointed out in my launch story may very well be eradicated in the future. But the fact that AMD’s most expensive graphics card jettisons waste heat through its shroud won’t change. And that means you shouldn’t even attempt to cram it into a small form factor enclosure."

"When it launched, a generous eight-game bundle had me on the fence about the 7990’s prospects. But after spending time evaluating its thermals and acoustics (to say nothing about its crashes and performance hiccups in CrossFire, which could become a story unto itself), I can’t think of one reason to recommend 7990 to a friend. And, at the end of the day, that’s what this job is all about."


That's it from me. Good luck! - 17
m
0
l
August 15, 2013 9:21:57 PM

main reason to buy the 7990 --------------
its nearly about 700$ so two them are going to cost me a 1400 but two 690s are going to give me a massive blow of 2000$. with the 7990 i can save 600$ and can spend this money on a good case or on some another components. I read a article on 13.8 catalyst here on tom's and its was telling that problem's with frame pacing is now solved and problems with dual gpu card like 6990 and 7990 is solved.

And i can see no one is denying KAIJER's point that 3gigs is better than 2gigs when it comes with massive resolutions.

I'M NOT MISLEADING MY SELF.



Got the 7990 this evening and also bought crysis 3, Downloaded the 13.8 driver , Approxy took 20 mins and all done! getting 59-64 fps with maxed out settings.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 9:29:17 PM

Wait for amd's next gen to be release and then the top tier cards(780/9970?) will drop to around $499-$549, that almost a guarantee.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2013 9:45:48 PM

royceda59 said:
main reason to buy the 7990 --------------
its nearly about 700$ so two them are going to cost me a 1400 but two 690s are going to give me a massive blow of 2000$. with the 7990 i can save 600$ and can spend this money on a good case or on some another components. I read a article on 13.8 catalyst here on tom's and its was telling that problem's with frame pacing is now solved and problems with dual gpu card like 6990 and 7990 is solved.

And i can see no one is denying KAIJER's point that 3gigs is better than 2gigs when it comes with massive resolutions.

I'M NOT MISLEADING MY SELF.



Got the 7990 this evening and also bought crysis 3, Downloaded the 13.8 driver , Approxy took 20 mins and all done! getting 59-64 fps with maxed out settings.

I don't think you understand the fact that 4 GPU's don't work together. A 7990 or 690 is two, so putting two of either of those cards together is going to end in headaches.

Again, the driver update ONLY affects 2 way solutions, once you add that second 7990 you are going to not only get worse performance but more microstutter. You are fooling yourself.
m
0
l
!