Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Odd network drive issue

Last response: in Networking
Share
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2013 5:50:26 AM

Hey guys, could use some help with an odd connectivity issue.

I've got 3 users, each using lenovo laptops, with windows 7 32 bit professional. The laptops connect fine at most of our locations, however at two T1 branches, the network drives just won't connect. I can remote into their laptops, and it can access the internet just fine. It just won't connect to the network drives. It just gives a general error trying to connect or browse to a network drive.

Any ideas would be fantastic.
Thanks
August 15, 2013 6:02:48 AM

aford10 said:
Hey guys, could use some help with an odd connectivity issue.

I've got 3 users, each using lenovo laptops, with windows 7 32 bit professional. The laptops connect fine at most of our locations, however at two T1 branches, the network drives just won't connect. I can remote into their laptops, and it can access the internet just fine. It just won't connect to the network drives. It just gives a general error trying to connect or browse to a network drive.

Any ideas would be fantastic.
Thanks


Try to make sure the drives are mapped correctly. Another way of getting to it is trying to access through homegroup or sharing.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2013 6:07:50 AM

Yep, they're mapped right. I can even ping the drives, it just won't connect. It won't even browse to them, even though I can ping them.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 15, 2013 9:49:44 AM

aford10 said:
Yep, they're mapped right. I can even ping the drives, it just won't connect. It won't even browse to them, even though I can ping them.


Permissions? Check permissions so that everyone can read/write to it if that's what you want.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 15, 2013 1:00:33 PM

Yep, permissions are good. These are mobile users who travel from branch to branch, and the drives reconnect at startup. They reconnect and the users can access the drives at all of our other branches, just not this one.
m
0
l
August 16, 2013 5:27:36 AM

aford10 said:
Yep, permissions are good. These are mobile users who travel from branch to branch, and the drives reconnect at startup. They reconnect and the users can access the drives at all of our other branches, just not this one.


Um, I would say to make sure the permissions are set for "everyone" and also for my network drive, there are drivers for it. It's a NAS really. It requires me to install sotware to access it.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2013 5:44:59 PM

Yep, the permissions are good. In fact, the same users, can access the network drives at those locations using XP computers. It's just the windows 7 laptops/desktops that aren't able to access the network drives. During the troubleshooting, I've also noticed they aren't able to talk to the domain, in order to pull down group policy, and join the domain.

The issue is bigger than I thought. It seems to be an issue with windows 7 talking to the domain at those locations.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2013 7:12:13 PM

So we ended up figuring it out. The issue was an outdated WAN optimization card at each branch. When disabling the device, the connectivity to the domain was restored.
m
0
l
!