Solved

Revised "budget" build...

Guys,

I'm thinking of revamping/beefing up my "so-called" budget gaming rig :). The new one is gonna look like this:

i5 4430 3.2Ghz 6MB
Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 Socket 1150
Cooler Master Elite 335U mATX casing (has enough room for MB and GPU)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3 2x4GB
GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB (same as before)
CM Silent Pro Gold 550W/SeaSonic S12II 520W (same as before)
ASUS MX239H (same as before)

Questions:
1. Is the new CPU OC-able? If yes, do I need to reconsider the power/cooling requirements for it?
2. Is this motherboard ok for the CPU and other stuff going to be put on it?
3.Would 1866Mhz DDR3 require extra considerations/nitty-girtties that I might not be able to think of right now? Is it already OC'ed?

Kindly grace me with your precious and invaluable expertise and advises. I'm sure I'll come up with other questions that are currently not coming to my mind. But I'll leave further thought process for later and wait for your comments.

Thanks very much.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about revised budget build
  1. Best answer
    1. No, the CPU is not overclockable, but it is fine since for overclocking you would have to spend a lot more like.. 30-40 dollars extra for the "K" version of the CPU. Another 40 dollars for a decent air cooler and around 30-40 dollars more for the overclocking capable Z77 board. So if you want to overclock then you are looking at about 100-120 dollars extra and for that price you can get an i7 4770 (non K version) processor. So overclocking is not free performance as everyone says about it and for a budget you should stay away from it.

    2. Yes, that motherboard is fine for non overclocking purposes.

    3. That motherboard does not support 1866 Mhz RAM. Anyways the difference between 1600 MHz and the 1866 Mhz is not much.
  2. Also where do you live (I guess UK) and what is your budget for the complete build. Also what parts you do not need (OS? Monitor? Keyboard/Mouse? etc..)

    We might pick up a good build for you.
  3. Sangeet Khatri said:
    Also where do you live (I guess UK) and what is your budget for the complete build. Also what parts you do not need (OS? Monitor? Keyboard/Mouse? etc..)

    We might pick up a good build for you.


    Thanks for your responses bro.

    Already selected the monitor (Asus MX239H) and will get KB and mouse and DVD/RW bla bla for free from a friend.
  4. Sangeet Khatri said:

    3. That motherboard does not support 1866 Mhz RAM. Anyways the difference between 1600 MHz and the 1866 Mhz is not much.


    I read somewhere that only 2nd generation core processors support 1866Mhz. Is this true?
  5. No, that is not correct. The haswell of course supports 1866 MHz RAM. It is just that the motherbaord is unable to run RAM at 1866 speeds. It is not recommended to use an unsupported RAM. It might run but that cannot be confirmed. So better go with the 1600 MHz RAM instead.
  6. Sangeet Khatri said:
    No, that is not correct. The haswell of course supports 1866 MHz RAM. It is just that the motherbaord is unable to run RAM at 1866 speeds. It is not recommended to use an unsupported RAM. It might run but that cannot be confirmed. So better go with the 1600 MHz RAM instead.


    Ok boss.

    But I believe the MB in my previous design (Asus B75M-A) did support 1600Mhz and higher. Its specs say:
    2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel Memory Architecture
    * 1600MHz and higher frequency is supported by Intel® 3rd generation processors.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/newresponse/1768556

    Well it does mention 1800, but not 1866! If I go with my current "Ivy-based" design, will 1866Mhz make that big a difference over 1600?

    Edit: One more thing to ask bro. With the new Haswell-based rig, will I need to beef up my PSU too? Or CM silent pro gold 550W would suffice?

    Thanks.
  7. There is not a lot of difference between 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz.. Infact no performance difference for gaming at all.

    As for the PSU, the 550W would be quite less for this build.
  8. Sangeet Khatri said:
    There is not a lot of difference between 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz.. Infact no performance difference for gaming at all.

    As for the PSU, the 550W would be quite less for this build.


    What is the minimum PSU that you suggest then? And the brand too.
  9. How much can you spend on PSU? and which country do you live in. Also what site would you buy PSU from.

    I would recommend a 600W+ PSU for such a high end config. Ass for brands I would recommend Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, some models from OCZ and EVGA. But that really depends on how much you are willing to spend.
  10. Sangeet Khatri said:
    There is not a lot of difference between 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz.. Infact no performance difference for gaming at all.

    As for the PSU, the 550W would be quite less for this build.


    Ok 550W PSU is not enough for this new haswell-based build. right.

    But I also heard that whatever the build is, 550W is just not enough if installed for GTX 770. Please suggest a PSU for the below:

    i5 3570
    B75M-A
    (this mobo is also not recommended for GTX 770 and the minimum Asus I should go for is P8h77-V LE. Is this correct?)
    Xonar DX sound
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
    1TB Seagate HD


    What do you think?
  11. It would just fit with the 550W PSU. But I recommending upgrading the PSU as soon as possible. It should be fine if you are not upgrading anything with the same PSU though.

    I think it should be enough if you are not upgrading anytime soon.
  12. Sangeet Khatri said:
    It would just fit with the 550W PSU. But I recommending upgrading the PSU as soon as possible. It should be fine if you are not upgrading anything with the same PSU though.

    I think it should be enough if you are not upgrading anytime soon.

    Thanks very much Sangeet. I've been anxiously waiting for your advise on this.

    Well, first of all I'm not going to upgrade anything in this build for sure (might just add a CD/DVD WR which should be accommodated easily right?). Secondly, there are these suggestions that because GB GTX 770 consumes 360W at peak/maximum, the PSU for this build should be of minimum 650W. What do I do about these suggestions man :)?

    Also, the same people advised me against going for B75M-A/GTX 770 combination, saying any mATX board is bad for 770. Here's my post about it http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1808532/asus-b75m-gigabyte-gtx-770-good-combo.html. Kindly share your thoughts there or here if you deem appropriate.

    EDIT: At places where voltage fluctuates a lot, do you think going for a decent UPS would be more beneficial than beefing up the PSU?
  13. Yes, I believe going with the Micro ATX board with such a good GPU is not really balanced rig, but if you are not going to upgrade anything fancy stuff, then you would never need those expansion slots.

    I repeat it again. The board would not have any problem with that GPU. MicroATX is just a form factor and it does not affect performance.

    Also all you need for putting in a GPU is a PCI Express x16 slot which this board has, and yeah also a good CPU to back up that GPU. And i5 is my guess.

    As for the UPS, yes, it is better to have a UPS to control Voltage fluctuations but it would have no affect on the maximum capacity of PSU. It would just save you from sudden power cuts and yes, it would refine the voltage. As for the benefit. I think getting a UPS is a good choice, though not necessary, but yeah it is good to have one.


    Also yeah.. 550W is like pushing the limits of the rig and I really do not recommend running a build with a 770 with a 550W PSU. But it should be enough if you are not upgrading and overclocking. But yeah, higher wattage PSU is recommended.
  14. Sangeet Khatri said:

    Also yeah.. 550W is like pushing the limits of the rig and I really do not recommend running a build with a 770 with a 550W PSU. But it should be enough if you are not upgrading and overclocking. But yeah, higher wattage PSU is recommended.

    This is one of the best explanations I've got here at tom's. Thanks Sangeet.

    So one last question. Do you think a 600W (like Corsair GS600) would be enough to keep the 770's performance at top-notch? Or I should go for a bigger hike and get a 650W/700W?

    Also, I'd definitely get a UPS along with the system. And yes, the CPU will be i5 3570.
  15. Nice work Sangeet!
  16. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Nice work Sangeet!


    Can I not change the best answer to the previous one Sangeet wrote? ;)
  17. Sangeet Khatri said:

    Also yeah.. 550W is like pushing the limits of the rig and I really do not recommend running a build with a 770 with a 550W PSU. But it should be enough if you are not upgrading and overclocking. But yeah, higher wattage PSU is recommended.

    Below is the (RATED) power draw of 4 of the 5 components of my potential build, excluding the 8GB DDR3 which I believe should be negligible in the given scenario:
    i5 3570 77W max
    GTX 770 300W max (took the average after reading so many fluctuating/heavily contradicting values)
    Xonar DX 15W max
    1TB HD 7W max

    and the total becomes 399W. Please correct me if I'm wrong and advise if I can save myself from spending on a bigger PSU.

    EDIT: And then 3 chassis CM fans will have tiny LEDs too, if you think I should consider them too..lolz.
    Thanks a lot.
  18. As I mentioned before since you are not overclocking, hence a 550W PSU should be enough for now, so I would say stick to it for now and when you have like a lot of extra money, then just buy a new one. It could be anytime, even after months. I would say that would be the best option according to me.

    And yeah the Corsair CX 600 should be easily enough. Though for the same budget you can get other better quality PSU. The corsair one is aalso of good quality though, way better than Thermaltake ones..
  19. Sangeet Khatri said:
    As I mentioned before since you are not overclocking, hence a 550W PSU should be enough for now, so I would say stick to it for now and when you have like a lot of extra money, then just buy a new one. It could be anytime, even after months. I would say that would be the best option according to me.

    And yeah the Corsair CX 600 should be easily enough. Though for the same budget you can get other better quality PSU. The corsair one is aalso of good quality though, way better than Thermaltake ones..


    I've run out of words to thank you Sangeet. But still, what's due should be paid back. So thanks a lot.

    I highly regard your method of explaining technicalities in simple/layman language.

    Best regards.
  20. rlakhani11 said:
    Sangeet Khatri said:
    As I mentioned before since you are not overclocking, hence a 550W PSU should be enough for now, so I would say stick to it for now and when you have like a lot of extra money, then just buy a new one. It could be anytime, even after months. I would say that would be the best option according to me.

    And yeah the Corsair CX 600 should be easily enough. Though for the same budget you can get other better quality PSU. The corsair one is aalso of good quality though, way better than Thermaltake ones..


    I've ran out of words to thank you Sangeet. But still, what's due should be paid back. So thanks a lot.

    I highly regard your method of explaining technicalities in simple/layman language.

    Best regards.


    A thanks would do.. :)

    I appreciate your feedback. I did not knew that people liked my suggestions so much.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems