Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help, Need Info From My External HDD

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 15, 2013 9:45:30 AM

I just bough a Rosewill external hard drive encloser, i Have two HDD's that i need to retrieve info from and on one disk that shows up in my computer as Local Disk (G:) , the other HDD i can not find. the HDD's were in a Raid 0 config, and from a alienware computer. they only had the Alienware programs and drives and the operating system, i need them to get the info for another Alienware with out the info.

More about : info external hdd

a c 822 G Storage
August 15, 2013 10:26:37 AM

TryHaRdR3TaRd said:
I just bough a Rosewill external hard drive encloser, i Have two HDD's that i need to retrieve info from and on one disk that shows up in my computer as Local Disk (G:) , the other HDD i can not find. the HDD's were in a Raid 0 config, and from a alienware computer. they only had the Alienware programs and drives and the operating system, i need them to get the info for another Alienware with out the info.


Can you actually read the data from the one drive you can see?
m
0
l
August 15, 2013 11:38:44 AM

USAFRet said:
TryHaRdR3TaRd said:
I just bough a Rosewill external hard drive encloser, i Have two HDD's that i need to retrieve info from and on one disk that shows up in my computer as Local Disk (G:) , the other HDD i can not find. the HDD's were in a Raid 0 config, and from a alienware computer. they only had the Alienware programs and drives and the operating system, i need them to get the info for another Alienware with out the info.


Can you actually read the data from the one drive you can see?

No, it ask me to formate it and im not doing that becuase it will delete evrey thing on it. i also tried to put the HDD in the hp pavilion im using and the computer tried to boot but wasn't able to and just showed a SYS_ message
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 822 G Storage
August 15, 2013 11:50:18 AM

TryHaRdR3TaRd said:
USAFRet said:
TryHaRdR3TaRd said:
I just bough a Rosewill external hard drive encloser, i Have two HDD's that i need to retrieve info from and on one disk that shows up in my computer as Local Disk (G:) , the other HDD i can not find. the HDD's were in a Raid 0 config, and from a alienware computer. they only had the Alienware programs and drives and the operating system, i need them to get the info for another Alienware with out the info.


Can you actually read the data from the one drive you can see?

No, it ask me to formate it and im not doing that becuase it will delete evrey thing on it. i also tried to put the HDD in the hp pavilion im using and the computer tried to boot but wasn't able to and just showed a SYS_ message


And this is why people say that RAID is not a backup. Especially RAID0.
If you have the same RAID controller on another box, it 'may' be possible to read the array.

I could be mistaken, but I do not think it is possible, outside of some very esoteric tools, to read the drives and data individually.
m
0
l
August 15, 2013 12:11:29 PM

USAFRet said:
TryHaRdR3TaRd said:
USAFRet said:
TryHaRdR3TaRd said:
I just bough a Rosewill external hard drive encloser, i Have two HDD's that i need to retrieve info from and on one disk that shows up in my computer as Local Disk (G:) , the other HDD i can not find. the HDD's were in a Raid 0 config, and from a alienware computer. they only had the Alienware programs and drives and the operating system, i need them to get the info for another Alienware with out the info.


Can you actually read the data from the one drive you can see?

Would it be possible to get the info if i hook up both HDD to the paviolin

No, it ask me to formate it and im not doing that becuase it will delete evrey thing on it. i also tried to put the HDD in the hp pavilion im using and the computer tried to boot but wasn't able to and just showed a SYS_ message


And this is why people say that RAID is not a backup. Especially RAID0.
If you have the same RAID controller on another box, it 'may' be possible to read the array.

I could be mistaken, but I do not think it is possible, outside of some very esoteric tools, to read the drives and data individually.

Could i hook up the hdd to the paviolin and get the info or would their be a problem.
m
0
l
a c 311 G Storage
August 15, 2013 3:30:59 PM

You need to reconstruct the RAID. One way to do this would be to install both drives inside your computer and use a tool such as mdadm (Linux) or DMDE (Windows).

However, you would first need to confirm that both drives were physically OK.

I would use DMDE to read sector 0 of "Local Disk G:" in order to get some idea of the partitioning.
m
0
l
August 15, 2013 3:37:45 PM

fzabkar said:
You need to reconstruct the RAID. One way to do this would be to install both drives inside your computer and use a tool such as mdadm (Linux) or DMDE (Windows).

However, you would first need to confirm that both drives were physically OK.

I would use DMDE to read sector 0 of "Local Disk G:" in order to get some idea of the partitioning.
you came in to late i had decided to just buy another reboot disk as nothing except the operating system and alienware drivers were installed an the two. now im just trying to format the last one the the computer cant seem to see any help with that?
m
0
l
!