Solved

Gigabyte z87x-ud4h quick question about pci express x16 speed

Hi dear experts!
my system is this:

cpu:i5 4670k (stock)
cpu fan:coolermaster hyper 212 evo
mobo:gigabyte z87xud4h
ram:16gb corsair vengeance 1600
gpu:gigabyte 660 oc edition
case:coolermaster cm 690II advanced
psu:coolermaster 850 silent pro
ssd:samsung 840 pro 128gb
hhd:2 caviar black 640 sata II on raid 0
sound:soundblaster x-fi titanium fatality
monitor:LG flatron E2250V 22''
os:win 7 ultimate 64bit


I want to replace hyper evo with Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler,i still have temps max 82c stable at full load using intelburntest and i want to drop the temps more. So i have a problem.I think Noctua will cover the top pci express x1 that i already use for soundblaster x-fi titanium fatality,so the next pci x16 (the first one )is occupied by my 660 oc gtx and covers the second pci express x1.On the third pci express x1 i don't want to use it because i think it will block the airflow to my card.The big question is if i use the bottom one pci express x16 for my soundblaster x-fi titanium fatality will effect the speed of my VGA?
i know that the pci express x16 operate like x16,x8,x4 when put a second or third VGA but this is soundcard.What is your opinion?I don't want to downgrade the speed of the 660 because i use the bottom one pci express x16 for the soundcard.Also if someone can verify that Noctua NH-U14S is blocking the first pci express x1 in order not to mess around things whould be great.

this is a link to see the pci lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ob5V1WfQIo
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gigabyte z87x ud4h quick question pci express x16 speed
  1. Best answer
    You're fine - on that board, the third PCIex16 slot takes lanes from the x1 slots, not your GPU.
  2. Someone Somewhere said:
    You're fine - on that board, the third PCIex16 slot takes lanes from the x1 slots, not your GPU.


    Great so i will move soundcard to the bottom pci x16 ,thank you very much ,for the fast responce and support!
  3. Yup.

    Even then, PCIe3.0x8 is more than enough for any GPU. But it will continue at x16.
  4. Yes, just take a look at (see expansion slot, it does explain everything right?)
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4488#sp
    At stock speed, your CPU should not be 82c even on air(70c or even lower will much more normal), my question is do you apply thermal paste? If so, are you doing in proper way?
  5. PlanarX999 said:
    Yes, just take a look at (see expansion slot, it does explain everything right?)
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4488#sp
    At stock speed, your CPU should not be 82c even on air(70c or even lower will much more normal), my question is do you apply thermal paste? If so, are you doing in proper way?


    i have install evo 3 times !I fit it tight as it gets,i see the temps drop only if i disable turbo boost.When is enabled it hits 82c with intelburn run test at standard.
  6. Thermal paste??? Do you apply it?
  7. Thermal paste? If you forget that, it definitely won't run well.

    Hint: It came in a little tube, and you should have squeezed a little onto your CPU.
  8. Someone Somewhere said:
    Thermal paste? If you forget that, it definitely won't run well.

    Hint: It came in a little tube, and you should have squeezed a little onto your CPU.


    i used mx-4,the first time was too much,second time line method ,third time little dot at the center,i really have fit it tight,don't know what to do,that's why i change my cooler
  9. i also use isopropil alcohol to clean everything
  10. how can i send pics here?I have printsceen my destop and save it to word.
  11. You need to upload them to something like imgur.
  12. Someone Somewhere said:
    You need to upload them to something like imgur.


    http://imgur.com/3th5EjL
  13. What's the ambient temperature where you are?

    IBT does really stress chips, but that's still way more than it should be.
  14. Someone Somewhere said:
    What's the ambient temperature where you are?

    IBT does really stress chips, but that's still way more than it should be.


    Summer at Greece! 33c outside but even with aircondition it might drop 2-3c.Don't know what else to do,i would be grateful to you if you could help
  15. Next thing to do, will be to move the soundcard to the bottom pci express x16 ,might the airflow get better and drop a little the temps
  16. You'll be fine. It's just that IBT pushes your chip harder than anything else around.
  17. Someone Somewhere said:
    You'll be fine. It's just that IBT pushes your chip harder than anything else around.


    I guess is not a game out there yet to push me at those temps (83c),just a few seconds ago i run the benchmark of hitman absolution with max settings and temps are 61c.I have 2 questions will my cpu be ok?and second one do ia have to go for the Noctua NH-U14S will i see any difference?
  18. Yes, few Celcius drop, but i might recommend close-loop water cooling for better cooling.
    Could you also upload the picture of inside your case, actually i need to know how many fan in your case is.
    #High static pressure with decent airflow case fan is recommended if you continue use air cooling#
  19. PlanarX999 said:
    Yes, few Celcius drop, but i might recommend close-loop water cooling for better cooling.
    Could you also upload the picture of inside your case, actually i need to know how many fan in your case is.
    #High static pressure with decent airflow case fan is recommended if you continue use air cooling#


    It's 10 pics of the inside and where is the case :http://imgur.com/D7fDt2R&e2Y1j3p&AbyWJY3&2JtdrYv&OIvT07s&cjFqyIe&dExshRk&B1AB9i0&l4GJBSY&CJYJ90G#4
  20. the arrows of the fan in case you ask are ok (back <---- front)
  21. Sorry for late reply,
    I see you have a lot of storage disk there, that why the air(is not completely block at all) but still lack of intake air,
    Recommend add two side fans and one more front fan as intake,
    Cable management is also not so well - consider as ok, hope you can adjust some if you could)
    Well, also make sure exhaust air have good ventilation too otherwise( consider that your case near the wall)
    Recommend - Cougar Turbine(4 pack) - quality, cheap and come with four.
  22. PlanarX999 said:
    Sorry for late reply,
    I see you have a lot of storage disk there, that why the air(is not completely block at all) but still lack of intake air,
    Recommend add two side fans and one more front fan as intake,
    Cable management is also not so well - consider as ok, hope you can adjust some if you could)
    Well, also make sure exhaust air have good ventilation too otherwise( consider that your case near the wall)
    Recommend - Cougar Turbine(4 pack) - quality, cheap and come with four.


    My friend thank you for your replay there's no need for sorry!
    I can't find this fans here they are not available,any other suggestions?
    Keep that in mind that my case is :coolermaster cm 690II advanced
    I'm thinking of adding 2 140 fans one to put inside air from the rear where the vga is and one of the top next to the already installed 140 to push it out,i also will check if I have room to the front panel to add one more.Please something quiet!
  23. Just see the spec of your case, and my mistake though that the front have two fans mount,
    fan mount: top(+1), bottom(+1/2), Side(+2)
    Recommend Fans
    - Cougar fan - Dual-X, Vortex - color may look ugly to you
    - Corsair SP/AF series fans - 120/140mm
    - Phanteks PH-F140TS - 140mm fan, blue color look nice.(compatible only at side & top)
    - Cooler Master Excalibur- may noisy but great airflow and static pressure.
  24. PlanarX999 said:
    Just see the spec of your case, and my mistake though that the front have two fans mount,
    fan mount: top(+1), bottom(+1/2), Side(+2)
    Recommend Fans
    - Cougar fan - Dual-X, Vortex - color may look ugly to you
    - Corsair SP/AF series fans - 120/140mm
    - Phanteks PH-F140TS - 140mm fan, blue color look nice.(compatible only at side & top)
    - Cooler Master Excalibur- may noisy but great airflow and static pressure.


    I'll buy 2 of this http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-fans/air-series-af140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan.html
    for side - top,the question is if i can put one more infront,guess i can't.
    My friend thank you very much for searching for me ,the time and support.I guess after adding the 2 of those fans and the Noctua NH-U14S everything will be ok,i guess it fits(Noctua NH-U14S) inside my case.With memory and vga I'm ok,i don't know the height,guess similar with the evo.
  25. Good, since the sound decibel is very low, you probably you can maxed out the fan performance(draw in more air - side). Hope to see your result when using it.
  26. PlanarX999 said:
    Good, since the sound decibel is very low, you probably you can maxed out the fan performance(draw in more air - side). Hope to see your result when using it.


    Those 2 extra fans i'll plug them directly to my mobo right?They have 3 pin but my mobo has a 4 pin,that's not a problem i guess and How i change the fan performance?
    Any news will be posted here monday afternoon :)
  27. Hi i just install noctua and one more top fan of corsair i have 10c drop down!Max with intelburn test is 72-73!In heavy gaming almost taches 58c
  28. That definitely good, how about the noise level anyway?
    Push/pull Configuration on Noctua U14S may also help you push little more to 4.2 or 4.3GHz maybe, just guess. Anyway that definitely a good result.
  29. PlanarX999 said:
    That definitely good, how about the noise level anyway?
    Push/pull Configuration on Noctua U14S may also help you push little more to 4.2 or 4.3GHz maybe, just guess. Anyway that definitely a good result.


    Hi my firend there's no sound prob,my pc is silent enough,i'm not planing to overclocking yet,but if i do so i wil ask you how to do it,you see i jumped for 1156 to 1150 socket and things are a bit different now.I also manage my cables better :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master PCI Express Speed Gigabyte Graphics