Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How much power does my old HP Desktop PC use?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 16, 2013 2:57:24 AM

I just wanted an estimate of the power usage by my HP compaq Desktop PC. I think it's an HP Compaq d530 Convertible Minitower Desktop PC cuz the casing looks like it. It has the following specs:
Field Value
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP d530 CMT(DM916P)

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz (13 x 200) Hyper threading on

Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G

System Memory 1024 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM) 2x256 MB and one 512 MB

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (256 MB)

Disk Drive SAMSUNG SV0412H (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8482B (48x CD-ROM)

Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492C (DVD:16x, CD:52x/32x/52x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

That would be all. Thaks in advance!

More about : power desktop

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 3:11:45 AM
Share

If that is a single core old pentium, I am guessing you are wanting the at the wall socket figure for the whole system including power conversion losses i would guess between 70 - 160 watts as an educated guess (electrician).
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 3:19:39 AM

It might be a little less. The max figure is for cpu and video busy.Its not a gaming card anyway,
August 16, 2013 3:49:07 AM

chriss000 said:
If that is a single core old pentium, I am guessing you are wanting the at the wall socket figure for the whole system including power conversion losses i would guess between 70 - 160 watts as an educated guess (electrician).


I always thought it was around more than 200 Watts. The PSU isn't 80+ certified so it would waste a bit more. Anyways i'll wait for more answers so that maybe someone can provide me with a more exact value. However, thank you!
August 16, 2013 4:05:50 AM

There is problem in their website we can try again later once it work ill post it here
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 4:48:10 AM

Its either a 62 or 80 watt cpu. (@max speed ) I would be very surprised indeed
if it was 200 total. There is no point asking us, or filling out an online calculator that wont take into consideration an ancient non certified psu if you want an exact figure; the only way you will get that is with a watt or amp meter.
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 7:04:22 AM

dhamodharen said:
your approx consumption is 260watts

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index...


That is not a power CONSUMPTION tool, it is a tool for calculating the required power supply unit size. It recommends 240 watts by my estimate. Which would put the actual max power use at 150 ish.
Cheeeses!
a c 1399 ) Power supply
a c 642 V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 7:11:56 AM

Max i would say 130 to 140 watts.
August 16, 2013 9:25:56 AM

dhamodharen said:
There is problem in their website we can try again later once it work ill post it here



same thing with my phone! when I select socket, it displays nothing more than "select". can some one do it for me? I would be truely grateful.
August 16, 2013 9:32:20 AM

chriss000 said:
Its either a 62 or 80 watt cpu. (@max speed ) I would be very surprised indeed
if it was 200 total. There is no point asking us, or filling out an online calculator that wont take into consideration an ancient non certified psu if you want an exact figure; the only way you will get that is with a watt or amp meter.


oh no. I just wanted an estimate of what electric bill change to expect in reference to the old pc.
August 16, 2013 9:32:21 AM

chriss000 said:
Its either a 62 or 80 watt cpu. (@max speed ) I would be very surprised indeed
if it was 200 total. There is no point asking us, or filling out an online calculator that wont take into consideration an ancient non certified psu if you want an exact figure; the only way you will get that is with a watt or amp meter.


oh no. I just wanted an estimate of what electric bill change to expect in reference to the old pc.
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 9:32:35 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Max i would say 130 to 140 watts.


Yay the voice of reason! PSU's havent advanced in efficacy much in the last ten yrs. Even a crap one will give 75% of what goes in.
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2013 9:44:45 AM


The maximum power use of a pc in a particular class changes little as time goes on, but a new pc will do the task faster resulting in a lower total consumption over time. However, unless you are transcoding video all day its unlikely to show up on your bill. If you are that worried about it the Chinese have been using an electricity free device
for Centuries; its called an Abacus.

August 16, 2013 12:20:04 PM

chriss000 said:

The maximum power use of a pc in a particular class changes little as time goes on, but a new pc will do the task faster resulting in a lower total consumption over time. However, unless you are transcoding video all day its unlikely to show up on your bill. If you are that worried about it the Chinese have been using an electricity free device
for Centuries; its called an Abacus.



Yeah but an Abacus won't let me play Max Payne 3!
August 16, 2013 10:59:32 PM

Then you may need to spend to a meter that calculate what is you actual :-D
August 17, 2013 3:37:34 AM

dhamodharen said:
Then you may need to spend to a meter that calculate what is you actual :-D


No man i think i'll stick to the extreme calculator thing once its up. The problem is i cant figure out how to use it! I mean, how do i know how much mm is my fan? and what the hell is a cold cathode? led fan control? the motherboard is micro atx so i guess its selecting regular desktop. But still, this is embarrassing me.
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2013 6:15:04 AM

If you cannot accept the word of an electrician, or sr71 (pc expert) that your pc is consuming about 150 watts whilst gaming, there really wasnt any point in you coming on this site and asking the question, was there?
Plse stop wasting my time.
August 30, 2013 4:24:18 AM

chriss000 said:
If you cannot accept the word of an electrician, or sr71 (pc expert) that your pc is consuming about 150 watts whilst gaming, there really wasnt any point in you coming on this site and asking the question, was there?
Plse stop wasting my time.


All right man i'm sorry, both for wasting your time and for the late reply (my computer somehow got infected and destroyed all .exe files so i had to set it all up again.) and i've accepted my mistake. Fine? but seriously no need to get that hot over someone. Anyhow thanks for the reply.it helped.
!