Solved

Stay Sandy Bridge or Ivy E?

currently i have a i5-2500k oc 4.8. With the ivy e coming out i was wondering if this may be a good time to upgrade.
I want a bit more power in my rig then what i currently have without selling a arm and leg.

I was looking at Core i7-4830K.

Current specs

CPU: i5-2500k 4.8OC
Mobo: Asrock z77 Extreme 6
Ram: 8GB Gskill 1600
GPU: 770 DirectCU 1260 MHz OC.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stay sandy bridge ivy
  1. Generally the intel enthusiats processors such as sandy-e and ivy-e are verrry expensive if you haven't noticed, so you will be needing to sell two arms and maybe a leg in a half for that.

    For gaming it's not necessary, I really wouldn't even recommend getting a new processosor right now as the 2500k is still great.

    Unless you need hyperthreading for some reason you haven't mentioned yet, even then I wouldn't go with the E's
  2. Christian Angelo said:
    Generally the intel enthusiats processors such as sandy-e and ivy-e are verrry expensive if you haven't noticed, so you will be needing to sell two arms and maybe a leg in a half for that.

    For gaming it's not necessary, I really wouldn't even recommend getting a new processosor right now as the 2500k is still great.

    Unless you need hyperthreading for some reason you haven't mentioned yet, even then I wouldn't go with the E's

    well, it says $550. I save money over long term for upgrades like these. That wouldnt break the bank so to say.
    But i just need to know its worth it. Performance increase compared to current cpu
    I heavily game, and do a little rendering. I multitask alot also.
  3. For most games, the 2500K will not be a limiting factor.
    When you say more power, do you mean more power per core, or more cores?
    If you need more cores, then a i7-4830K might be a good idea.
    Or, you could simply replace your cpu with a 3770K.
    That would give you slightly faster cores and the extra threads from hyperthreading.

    You might do some experimenting to verify where you need power.
    Try limiting your cpu to 3 cores and see what the effect is.
    Try reducing the OC and see what the effect is.
  4. Add another 300 minimum for that for a motherboard for it. I'd go just a normal i7 4770k/3770k or whatever is out when you plan on buying.

    And as I said before there is really no reason to buy an i7 if your main purpose is gaming, and if there's no reason to upgrade to an i7 for you then there really is no reason to upgrade your processor. Depends on how hardcore you do rendering I suppose
  5. geofelt said:
    For most games, the 2500K will not be a limiting factor.
    When you say more power, do you mean more power per core, or more cores?
    If you need more cores, then a i7-4830K might be a good idea.
    Or, you could simply replace your cpu with a 3770K.
    That would give you slightly faster cores and the extra threads from hyperthreading.

    You might do some experimenting to verify where you need power.
    Try limiting your cpu to 3 cores and see what the effect is.
    Try reducing the OC and see what the effect is.

    I'll do some further testing on my card. As for 3770K i just dont see much of a improvement. Im looking for overkill.
    BTW would it be 6 cores / 6 hyper?
  6. Best answer
    TotalRecall said:
    Christian Angelo said:
    Generally the intel enthusiats processors such as sandy-e and ivy-e are verrry expensive if you haven't noticed, so you will be needing to sell two arms and maybe a leg in a half for that.

    For gaming it's not necessary, I really wouldn't even recommend getting a new processosor right now as the 2500k is still great.

    Unless you need hyperthreading for some reason you haven't mentioned yet, even then I wouldn't go with the E's

    well, it says $550. I save money over long term for upgrades like these. That wouldnt break the bank so to say.
    But i just need to know its worth it. Performance increase compared to current cpu
    I heavily game, and do a little rendering. I multitask alot also.


    This article indicates that there will be haswell 4930K 6 cores plus 6 hyperthreads. I would look for that.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/intel-to-release-three-ivy-bridge-e-range-of-cpus-in-September
    While you are at it, 16gb may help with lots of multitasking
  7. geofelt said:
    TotalRecall said:
    Christian Angelo said:
    Generally the intel enthusiats processors such as sandy-e and ivy-e are verrry expensive if you haven't noticed, so you will be needing to sell two arms and maybe a leg in a half for that.

    For gaming it's not necessary, I really wouldn't even recommend getting a new processosor right now as the 2500k is still great.

    Unless you need hyperthreading for some reason you haven't mentioned yet, even then I wouldn't go with the E's

    well, it says $550. I save money over long term for upgrades like these. That wouldnt break the bank so to say.
    But i just need to know its worth it. Performance increase compared to current cpu
    I heavily game, and do a little rendering. I multitask alot also.


    This article indicates that there will be haswell 4930K 6 cores plus 6 hyperthreads. I would look for that.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/intel-to-release-three-ivy-bridge-e-range-of-cpus-in-September
    While you are at it, 16gb may help with lots of multitasking


    Yea i will upgrade my ram first (cheaper) and then look into i7-4930k. I really want 6cores / 6 ht.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sandy Bridge CPUs Intel i5