Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Black Screen On Start-Up?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 16, 2013 12:21:07 PM

I just got an msi geforece gtx 660 (non ti) twin frozer oc edition, and along with that, a 500w psu. I put the psu in the pc, run it, it worked like a charm. Then I the grahpics card, by plugging everything in, i know everything is correct, i used a vga-dvi adapter to do so, my monitor only supports vga, but when my graphics card is in my pc, everything runs, fans spin, etc, but there is no display on the monitor, so i cant install drivers or anything, so what do i do?

graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Suppy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pc Specs: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

More about : black screen start

August 17, 2013 12:12:00 AM

boosted1g said:
You are going computer -> adapter -> cable -> monitor and not computer-> cable -> adapter -> monitor ??

Have you gone into your bios to change it to the dedicated graphics card?
Yes that is the order, but my bios doesn't let me do that, i doesn't say it anywhere
m
0
l
August 17, 2013 12:13:11 AM

boosted1g said:
You are going computer -> adapter -> cable -> monitor and not computer-> cable -> adapter -> monitor ??

Have you gone into your bios to change it to the dedicated graphics card?
Oh and yes, the order is computer -> Adapter -> cable -> Monitor

m
0
l
Related resources
August 20, 2013 10:12:39 PM

boosted1g said:
Ok your motherboard bios does not have the same menu options as normal motherboards have.

Do you see the bios splash screen at all when you boot or is it blank the whole time?

I was reading that your motherboard + windows 8 does not like alot of dedicated graphics cards out of the box.
If you can get into the bios with your card plugged in then go to bios by pressing esc and then f10, go to security menu, secure boot, enable Legacy Support and disable Secure Boot, now go to file menu and hit save changes and exit.

If you can not get to bios (see anything) hooked up with your graphics card try plugging the vga cable into the motherboard port, and if that still does not work then remove your graphics card and plug vga cable into motherboard and then get into the bios that way.
It was blank the entire time

m
0
l
August 20, 2013 10:18:18 PM

boosted1g said:
It was even blank with the card removed and being plugged into the motherboard graphics port?

If so I would look at the connection to the monitor, and maybe even try a different vga cable.

Also, does your monitor support dvi or even hdmi
when the card is out, the pc works perfectly, even if i have the card in and im using the onboard graphics, it goes black

m
0
l
August 20, 2013 10:19:22 PM

boosted1g said:
It was even blank with the card removed and being plugged into the motherboard graphics port?

If so I would look at the connection to the monitor, and maybe even try a different vga cable.

Also, does your monitor support dvi or even hdmi
oh and my monitor is vga only, but i tried it on an hdmi monitor, it doesnt work

m
0
l
August 20, 2013 10:46:05 PM

boosted1g said:
The issue is with some weird issue in the bios with windows 8 and dedicated graphics, other people had this same issue until they changed the settings in the bios that a listed a few posts ago.

You will need to pull the card out, and boot from motherboard graphics, change these settings, and then you can put the card back in and hook it up.
what settings do i have to change?

m
0
l
August 21, 2013 1:44:31 PM

boosted1g said:
boosted1g said:


I was reading that your motherboard + windows 8 does not like alot of dedicated graphics cards out of the box.
If you can get into the bios with your card plugged in then go to bios by pressing esc and then f10, go to security menu, secure boot, enable Legacy Support and disable Secure Boot, now go to file menu and hit save changes and exit.

i cant get into the bios without the card out of the system



m
0
l
August 21, 2013 3:13:13 PM

boosted1g said:
I realise this, you need to change those settings, and only then will it allow you to use your graphics card.

So access the bios with your card out of the computer and plugged into the motherboard vga port, do the changes, and then put the card back in.
OMG IT WORKED!!! but now the nvidia drivers installer does not detect the card

m
0
l
August 21, 2013 7:17:41 PM

boosted1g said:
Glad it worked, i posted that the 17th.

You need to go to device manager and disable the onboard graphics.
okay the solution is installing the disk the card came with, then install the drivers from the website, then it runs amazingly!!! thanks for your help, everything worked out fine!

m
0
l
!