Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Unusual Screen flickering/tearing on new GTX 760 setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 16, 2013 4:38:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new rig:
i5 4670k Haswell
GTX 760 ASUS CUII OC
500w corsair
Z87 g41 pc mate MSI mobo
Kingston hyperx 1600 mhz ddr 3 ram

What happens when I fire up a game, and start playing the screen shows unusual flickering, and it looks like screentear, but really isn't. It's an active distortion continuing all the time regardless of framerates or what's on screen. It seems like it started after I installed and started using the custom Asus GPU tweaking utility but that was quite fast, and hadn't noticed anything before. Ideas, anyone? I think it might have something to do with adaptive vsync but then again, that's just a wild guess. If I alt tab during a game, the screen flickering continues in windows, but when the game shuts down, and the gpu disengages there's no flickering anymore. I'm clueless as to what it is.
August 16, 2013 4:42:20 PM

try using vsync. screen tear is usually what happens when your system is throwing out more FPS then the monitor's refresh rate, in short it should be solved with vsync.
m
0
l
August 16, 2013 4:44:01 PM

ingtar33 said:
try using vsync. screen tear is usually what happens when your system is throwing out more FPS then the monitor's refresh rate, in short it should be solved with vsync.


i have the global setting set to adaptive vsync, that should be okay. i'll try with vsync globally on, but that's not the way it's supposed to be i reckon.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 16, 2013 4:47:27 PM

Try connecting your monitor to another system and see if the flicker occurs again. If it does it then your monitor is dying.
m
0
l
August 16, 2013 4:59:21 PM

littleleo said:
Try connecting your monitor to another system and see if the flicker occurs again. If it does it then your monitor is dying.


i hooked up another monitor to this system, and it also flickers. both dying at the same time is improbable. update; when i use fraps to record the screen, there's no flickering in the video. what the.... i don't get it somehow the screen itself goes weird :S
m
0
l
August 16, 2013 5:01:40 PM

Ruben Stolp said:
ingtar33 said:
try using vsync. screen tear is usually what happens when your system is throwing out more FPS then the monitor's refresh rate, in short it should be solved with vsync.


i have the global setting set to adaptive vsync, that should be okay. i'll try with vsync globally on, but that's not the way it's supposed to be i reckon.



there are several types of vsync nvidia allows. play with those settings. It could be a driver/overclocking issue, is your card overclocked? if it is remove the overclock and see if the problem goes away. If its not overclocked try an older WHQL driver. If none of those fix it try another monitor cable or monitor. If all of those fail to fix the problem you have a bad gpu, and i'd exercise the warranty. If it's out of warranty coverage for some reason i'd try the oven trick and bake your gpu in the oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes. But that's a last gasp attempt.
m
0
l
August 16, 2013 5:15:11 PM

ingtar33 said:
Ruben Stolp said:
ingtar33 said:
try using vsync. screen tear is usually what happens when your system is throwing out more FPS then the monitor's refresh rate, in short it should be solved with vsync.


i have the global setting set to adaptive vsync, that should be okay. i'll try with vsync globally on, but that's not the way it's supposed to be i reckon.



there are several types of vsync nvidia allows. play with those settings. It could be a driver/overclocking issue, is your card overclocked? if it is remove the overclock and see if the problem goes away. If its not overclocked try an older WHQL driver. If none of those fix it try another monitor cable or monitor. If all of those fail to fix the problem you have a bad gpu, and i'd exercise the warranty. If it's out of warranty coverage for some reason i'd try the oven trick and bake your gpu in the oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes. But that's a last gasp attempt.


i think it started when i tried to overclock it ( and succeeded ) playing crysis, this asus version performs well i must say, but that's pretty much when the screentearing started to happen, with no asus utility installed, and running tomb raider, way before that, i noticed no such thing as screentearing or flickering.
m
0
l
August 17, 2013 12:38:21 AM

Ruben Stolp said:
ingtar33 said:
Ruben Stolp said:
ingtar33 said:
try using vsync. screen tear is usually what happens when your system is throwing out more FPS then the monitor's refresh rate, in short it should be solved with vsync.


i have the global setting set to adaptive vsync, that should be okay. i'll try with vsync globally on, but that's not the way it's supposed to be i reckon.



there are several types of vsync nvidia allows. play with those settings. It could be a driver/overclocking issue, is your card overclocked? if it is remove the overclock and see if the problem goes away. If its not overclocked try an older WHQL driver. If none of those fix it try another monitor cable or monitor. If all of those fail to fix the problem you have a bad gpu, and i'd exercise the warranty. If it's out of warranty coverage for some reason i'd try the oven trick and bake your gpu in the oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes. But that's a last gasp attempt.


i think it started when i tried to overclock it ( and succeeded ) playing crysis, this asus version performs well i must say, but that's pretty much when the screentearing started to happen, with no asus utility installed, and running tomb raider, way before that, i noticed no such thing as screentearing or flickering.


i did a clean windows install, no help, it distorts less maybe. It's hard to describe as well, it looks like hundreds of tiny just barely visual lines that shoot around horizontally in the background, most clearly when there's a scene with a lot of contrast. I think the gpu is somehow bad. Never witnessed this before, nothing helps either. it's also not really vsync, that's working marginally too by the way, but it's like overall quick distortions that are unalterable for some reason.
m
0
l
August 20, 2013 4:53:13 PM

Have you tried a different VGA card perhaps the one you have is defective.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 15, 2013 1:03:46 PM

It was actually just a digital to analog conversion problem, where using a dvi-convertor just doesn't quite cut it anymore! Sorry for the superlate reply :) 
Share
September 25, 2013 2:05:36 PM

Ruben Stolp said:
It was actually just a digital to analog conversion problem, where using a dvi-convertor just doesn't quite cut it anymore! Sorry for the superlate reply :) 


im having the same problem, and have a gtx 760 too. If it is a digital to analog conversion how did you fix it ?
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 1:09:54 PM

Glad to here you fixed your problem.

He stopped using the DVI to VGA adapter I believe.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 1:10:00 PM

Glad to here you fixed your problem.

He stopped using the DVI to VGA adapter I believe.
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 2:25:58 PM

Hi, i m also having the same problem and indeed i use a VGA to DVI adaptor......how did you fix the problem ??? using DVI only ???
m
0
l
December 3, 2013 2:50:44 PM

Yes, I believe he stopped using the adapter and connected directly with the DVI port.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:36:39 PM

so does this mean i have buy a new monitor. I just boug one 4 months ago from amazon. but dont have dvi out on it only got vga on it
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 2:43:17 PM

Allan Turner said:
so does this mean i have buy a new monitor. I just boug one 4 months ago from amazon. but dont have dvi out on it only got vga on it


Are you having the same flickering issue? What ports does you VGA card have?
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 3:19:30 PM

littleleo said:
Allan Turner said:
so does this mean i have buy a new monitor. I just boug one 4 months ago from amazon. but dont have dvi out on it only got vga on it


Are you having the same flickering issue? What ports does you VGA card have?


i am having same problems has Ruben Stolp. MY card has 2 dvi and hdmi. But my monitor only vga. I am using VGA to DVI adaptor
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 4:29:19 PM

Are you overclocking?
m
0
l
February 19, 2014 1:04:30 PM

I had the same issue but i solved it. I was using a Dvi-Vga(d-sub) adaptor, because i didn't have a dvi cable. But i bought a dvi cable, and my problem was solved since.

My card is a GTX 760 Asus Directcu II OC. When i installed the card for the first time and after installing the nvidia latest drivers i noticed a strange screen flickering (an effect exactly like described, plus some parts of the screen trembling) which i could manage to make disappear using the auto-adjust button of my lg monitor. But after entering any game, the flickering came back. So i tried using a dvi cable and it worked. I think these new cards can't stand a vga cable with dvi adapter anymore.

m
0
l
February 19, 2014 1:29:37 PM

denis777 said:
I had the same issue but i solved it. I was using a Dvi-Vga(d-sub) adaptor, because i didn't have a dvi cable. But i bought a dvi cable, and my problem was solved since.

My card is a GTX 760 Asus Directcu II OC. When i installed the card for the first time and after installing the nvidia latest drivers i noticed a strange screen flickering (an effect exactly like described, plus some parts of the screen trembling) which i could manage to make disappear using the auto-adjust button of my lg monitor. But after entering any game, the flickering came back. So i tried using a dvi cable and it worked. I think these new cards can't stand a vga cable with dvi adapter anymore.



m
0
l
February 19, 2014 1:30:40 PM

thank you all for help i haven't got rid of monitor anyway now wait on my g-sync monitor
m
0
l
May 3, 2014 3:49:21 AM

denis777 said:
I had the same issue but i solved it. I was using a Dvi-Vga(d-sub) adaptor, because i didn't have a dvi cable. But i bought a dvi cable, and my problem was solved since.

My card is a GTX 760 Asus Directcu II OC. When i installed the card for the first time and after installing the nvidia latest drivers i noticed a strange screen flickering (an effect exactly like described, plus some parts of the screen trembling) which i could manage to make disappear using the auto-adjust button of my lg monitor. But after entering any game, the flickering came back. So i tried using a dvi cable and it worked. I think these new cards can't stand a vga cable with dvi adapter anymore.



I had the exact same problem, thanks for the good advise about removing the adapter it fixed my problem right up!

m
0
l
!