Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Time Boot: Graphics Card PCI-E Scratch

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 17, 2013 8:30:35 AM

Hello, so I got my parts in the mail a couple days ago. I put everything together and I had a little trouble with the Graphics card. Then, I noticed a scratch on one of the metal teeth the connects into the PCI-E port. I finished everything and turned it on. Everything is running: lights, fans but when there is no connection to the montior. PLEASE HELP Thanks

Specs:

1 x ($269.99) ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $269.99
1 x ($169.99) AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX $169.99
1 x ($84.99) ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $84.99
1 x ($69.99) Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $69.99
1 x ($69.99) CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1600C11 $69.99
1 x ($64.99) Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply $64.99
1 x ($37.99) ASUS PCE-N53 Dual-Band Wireless-N600 Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express Up to 300Mbps downlink+300Mbps uplink Wireless Data Rates WPA2 $37.99
1 x ($18.99) ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM $18.99
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2013 8:33:02 AM

post a picture of the scratch
m
0
l
August 17, 2013 4:10:25 PM

aatje92 said:
post a picture of the scratch


m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2013 11:28:13 PM

Is it that black smudge? That shouldn't matter from the looks of it, can't you clean it off to be sure?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 163 U Graphics card
August 18, 2013 5:31:06 AM

As aatje said, it does not look to be a problem, those "teeth" are just a conductive surface, but if they overlap or are broken, then it could effect it, not really certain from that photo.

Anyway. Dot he obvious things first, make sure to reseat everything.

What port are you using on the card?
What monitor?
Share
August 18, 2013 6:49:58 AM

aatje92 said:
Is it that black smudge? That shouldn't matter from the looks of it, can't you clean it off to be sure?


I couldnt clean it off, I sent the item to for a RMA Replacment.
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 6:52:00 AM

Im not sure if the problem was the graphics card or not but I did still send it in for a RMA. But, if there was something else that was wrong I need to know. I was using the PCI-E port along with the Dell S2240M.
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 6:53:19 AM

This is my first build, so im a little un-educated about the process. I did notice another set of teeth on the opposite side of the card however, the instructions said nothing about them.
m
0
l
a c 163 U Graphics card
August 18, 2013 7:00:29 AM

DarthRadium said:
Im not sure if the problem was the graphics card or not but I did still send it in for a RMA. But, if there was something else that was wrong I need to know. I was using the PCI-E port along with the Dell S2240M.


I meant which output port on the back of the graphics card. VGA or DVI? Adapter used?
Did you try a different port?
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 6:22:16 PM

Novuake said:
DarthRadium said:
Im not sure if the problem was the graphics card or not but I did still send it in for a RMA. But, if there was something else that was wrong I need to know. I was using the PCI-E port along with the Dell S2240M.


I meant which output port on the back of the graphics card. VGA or DVI? Adapter used?
Did you try a different port?

I tried both dvi and VGA. Tried all the ports as well
m
0
l
!