Looking for a ~$500 HTPC build

Vorlorg

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: next couple of weeks

Budget Range: ~$500 (naturally, the cheaper the better)

System Usage: watching movies

Hello dear community,

I've been thinking about cutting cable and switching to an HTPC for a while now, and I think it's time to make the move. Unfortunately, I've been out of the always-updating-hardware game for a few years, so I'm a bit lost. I've seen a few suggested builds around the forum, but can't find quite "the one" for me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The three most important points for me are:
1. The build will be used almost exclusively for watching locally-stored files, at 720p quality (so a 2TB HDD at least)
2. Of course, I would like it to not look out of place, and would prefer for the case to look as much like a DVR as possible. The case needs to be no more than 7.5 inch high, 22 inch wide, and 17.5 inch deep.
3. I would like the build to be as quiet as possible, of course. It doesn't need to be ninja-like, but I would like quieter fans, etc.

Also, I'm planning to run XBMCbuntu to save the OS cost, so please take that into consideration, in case certain hardware doesn't play nice with it.

Thanks in advance.

Vorlorg

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your help, however the second link gives me a 404 page.
Also, the Coolermaster 120 Elite, while awesome and was my first pick as well, is too tall and won't fit in my TV cabinet (the case is 8.2" high, I can only fit a 7.5" case).
Can you perhaps offer a decent alternative that's slightly smaller and would work well with the build?

Again, thank you very much for your time and help.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Here's the second build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kirilmatt/saved/2bW1
Hmm well go to cases on pcpartpicker.com and look under mini-atx cases. You'd have to sort through them to find if they fit! The build I just linked uses a different, more expensive case, so maybe that will fit, I don't know. Hope this helps!

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Seems like a good plan to me! Let me know how it goes if you need more help :)