Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade my PC or by a next gen console?

Last response: in Video Games
August 17, 2013 4:34:05 PM

Right now, I'm at a crossroads; I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my rig now, or would I be better off getting a PS4 now and waiting to upgrade my PC down the line.

Here are my PC specs right now:
CPU: Pentium G630
Mobo: Asrock H61M-VS
Memory: Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz
GPU: Radeon HD 6850
PSU: Corsair CX500

My budget for upgrading is give or take 400 bucks to play with this year on upgrades. My inital plan was to upgrade the CPU, RAM, and storage this year then get a Maxwell GPU next year.

I feel like settling for a console because to get the rig I want, I will basically have to start from scratch, which means dropping about $1000 dollars in all. If my mobo, had OC capabilities, I wouldn't think that. My main dilemma about this is my mobo... should I stick with the one I have and get an i5, or should I scrap it and get something better that can OC.

What do you guys think will be the better route right now? Just suck it up and dish out the cash to upgrade my CPU and mobo or go console for a few years?

More about : upgrade gen console

August 17, 2013 4:44:54 PM

Suck it up and upgrade :) 

If you just upgrade now you would be able to run many next gen games
also if you just upgraded you wouldn't be confined to 1 system you could play almost any game from any console because most likely they have them for the pc.

Hope this helped :) 
Related resources

Best solution

August 17, 2013 4:51:16 PM

Ur mobo won't support OC so just get an locked i5.

But since the H61 is designed for 2nd SNB CPU, so better upgrade ur bios to newest version, then put these on:

PCPartPicker part list:
Price breakdown by merchant:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($184.60 @ Newegg)
Total: $412.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-17 19:50 EDT-0400)
August 17, 2013 5:01:02 PM

why do people suggest 1 stick of ram when the machine will be more responsive in dual channel mode?
August 18, 2013 8:53:53 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered an i5-3570 with 2x4 RAM and a new hdd because my current one is full. I will hold off on the gpu until the 9000 series or maxwell. It feels bittersweet to get a locked i5 because of my mobo but it is way better than what I have currently.