Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2 monitors, GTX 760 SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 10:37:57 PM

So I bought my rig a few days ago, didn't receive anything yet, but was asking myself a few questions about how to connect the 2 monitors that I will have. So here they are :
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=82...

And I will be running them on 2 of those cards on SLI :
http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affiliateid=7474144&sku=88...

With the monitors, I only get one power cable, and one DVI cable for each of them. Am I wrong or I just won't be able to connect both of them ?

More about : monitors gtx 760 sli

Best solution

a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 10:55:21 PM
Share

To have both monitors work, you will need a DVI-I and a DVI-D cable, so you may need to order them. And looking at everything here, as long as you have one of each of those cables (both plugged in to the main GPU) you'll be just fine.
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:05:31 PM

What if I use a DVI-D (which is probably the one that I'm going to get, right ?) along with a VGA cable ? I've got a few of those. Would it even work at all ? If it would, would it run as well as it would on DVI-I ?
Related resources
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:10:47 PM

Seladon said:
What if I use a DVI-D (which is probably the one that I'm going to get, right ?) along with a VGA cable ? I've got a few of those. Would it even work at all ? If it would, would it run as well as it would on DVI-I ?


Use DVI cables.

Forget about that VGA cable. Go bury it in your back yard.
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:12:58 PM

I am actually using a 23" monitor with a VGA cable at 1080p and I got no problem with it. I don't ask you if you got something against them, I'm asking you if it would work.
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:20:01 PM

Seladon said:
I am actually using a 23" monitor with a VGA cable at 1080p and I got no problem with it. I don't ask you if you got something against them, I'm asking you if it would work.


I'm saying if you use a VGA cable on a GPU like that, you need to re-evaluate your life.

Anyways, here's a not-so-quick but easy to understand video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v...
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:29:55 PM

Alright, so next part of the question then. I'm in Canada, and I got at the most $30 for those cables (and honestly, I won't buy them if it costs me more than that to get them), including shipping, taxes, everything. Can you suggest me some to buy ? I don't want to bother about havijg to get adaptors or anything after that. So please make sure that what you're suggesting me has everything that I will need to make it work.
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:36:09 PM

Seladon said:
Alright, so next part of the question then. I'm in Canada, and I got at the most $30 for those cables (and honestly, I won't buy them if it costs me more than that to get them), including shipping, taxes, everything. Can you suggest me some to buy ? I don't want to bother about havijg to get adaptors or anything after that. So please make sure that what you're suggesting me has everything that I will need to make it work.


DVI-I

DVI-D
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:42:58 PM

Alright... I'm going to look at it, and try to find good deals, because with those 2, I'm getting up to $52 dollars including shipping and taxes, as those are coming from 2 different web stores.
And what about the 2 cables that I will receive with my monitors ? Will those be DVI-A DVI-I or DVI-D?
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:48:59 PM

Seladon said:
Alright... I'm going to look at it, and try to find good deals, because with those 2, I'm getting up to $52 dollars including shipping and taxes, as those are coming from 2 different web stores.
And what about the 2 cables that I will receive with my monitors ? Will those be DVI-A DVI-I or DVI-D?


I'm not sure if the monitors come with DVI cables. When I bought mine, a LG 27EA33V, it came with a VGA cable. So I can't tell you if it would, you may need to do deeper digging to find out.
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2013 11:54:12 PM

It looks like in my case, the "d-sub" cable is actually a VGA.
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2013 12:23:49 AM

One last question, every single cable that I find is Dual Link, but my graphics card doesn't really tell me if the ports arr dual link or not, and the monitor doesn't either. Will it work or not ?
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2013 8:13:05 AM

Seladon said:
One last question, every single cable that I find is Dual Link, but my graphics card doesn't really tell me if the ports arr dual link or not, and the monitor doesn't either. Will it work or not ?


The graphics card says it has DVIX2, which means that it has a DVI-I and DVI-D ports on it. And in case you haven't ordered them yet, do some more shopping around (NCIXCanada, etc.) to find a better deals.
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2013 1:48:03 PM

I ordered one DVI-I Single Link male to male cable, and one DVI-D Single Link male to male cable. This way I can't really go wrong, and I'm not going above of 1080p right now so it doesn't really matter. I bought them at Amazon.ca, it was the best deals for small orders. I bought Skyrim Legendary edition at the same time, just to get above the $25 bar for the free shipping, and I got both of my cables, plus the game, for $57 including taxes and everything. I'm kind of happy with it.
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2013 4:42:07 PM

Seladon said:
I ordered one DVI-I Single Link male to male cable, and one DVI-D Single Link male to male cable. This way I can't really go wrong, and I'm not going above of 1080p right now so it doesn't really matter. I bought them at Amazon.ca, it was the best deals for small orders. I bought Skyrim Legendary edition at the same time, just to get above the $25 bar for the free shipping, and I got both of my cables, plus the game, for $57 including taxes and everything. I'm kind of happy with it.


Good, I'm glad you're happy
!