Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

please review my HTPC build

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 17, 2013 11:53:31 PM


1st build in over a decade. Did lots of reading on this website before build. would like some feedback


A8-6600k Black edition 3.9ghz-4.2ghz turbo AMD cpu

Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 gpu
1gig DDR5 256 bit

2/8 Duel kit DDR3 Radeon AMD
1866 (14900) performance memory

Rosewell 630 amp green series bronze rated psu

Silverstone GBO5 htpc case

Gigabytes a85x D3H MOBO

3 Performance Corsair 120mm fans on a pci slot fan controller

COOLER MASTER GeminII M4 RR-GMM4-16PK-R2 120mm

Samsung bluray burner 16x

Corsair 90gig sdd

And a standard 3.5 in hdd 500gig

Nothing overclocked yet and running Windows 7 home edition 64 bit

AMD Eyefinity software.

Please provide me stone feedback with out picking me to pieces and let me know if I should swap anything out or your concerns.

BTW mobo cpu temp in bios reaches 70 ° c on standby. Mobo issues or what?

More about : review htpc build

August 18, 2013 12:05:17 AM

Looks good.

Might be a little overkill though. There really isn't a point in having the GPU in there.
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 12:21:28 AM

what is going to be the purpose of the machine?
just htpc or is it going to be used for gaming too?
for hd playback, streaming, and decoding the apu should handle it fine
are you going to be using eyefinity to watch movies and tv shows?
because i cant think of anything but games that can take advantage of those extra pixels
unless you buy some kind of third party software which extends the movie some way
dont know why you would do that though
m
0
l
Related resources
August 18, 2013 12:30:33 AM

Is this already bought, or is it asking for advice for when you build it?
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 8:16:49 AM

its used for WOW for me. Sims 3 for the wife and streaming as we cancelled cable.
ands its already been built.

how reliable is the cpu temp sensor on gigabytes mobos
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 10:08:50 PM

Should be pretty reasonable.

Did you remember to put the thermal paste on?

Pulling out the GPU and using integrated graphics should reduce the heat in you case - HTPC cases aren't great at cooling.
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 10:23:33 PM

3 120mm 60cfm fans keep mobo temp in bios ata conconstant 38°c. CPU does have paste. and at boot up cpu will reach 72° in bios in 3 mins? normal?
m
0
l

Best solution

August 18, 2013 10:33:58 PM

Definitely not.

What if you use something like HWMonitor in windows?

Pull the CPU and fan, and check no thermal paste got anywhere it shouldn't have.
Share
August 18, 2013 10:44:03 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Should be pretty reasonable.

Did you remember to put the thermal paste on?

Pulling out the GPU and using integrated graphics should reduce the heat in you case - HTPC cases aren't great at cooling.


tried that and wow would not max out and cpu spiked to 90° ~underclocked @ 3.7 hrz
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 10:48:35 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Definitely not.

What if you use something like HWMonitor in windows?

Pull the CPU and fan, and check no thermal paste got anywhere it shouldn't have.


does Windows 7 carry HW MONITORING. I could not find.
ive tried msi kombuster and it said 40-50°
a gaget from Windows app page said no more than 27° per core during a cpu stress test

I used Arctic Silver and only a dab. how can thermal paste cause over heating issues
m
0
l
August 18, 2013 10:51:51 PM

tomate2 said:
what is going to be the purpose of the machine?
just htpc or is it going to be used for gaming too?
for hd playback, streaming, and decoding the apu should handle it fine
are you going to be using eyefinity to watch movies and tv shows?
because i cant think of anything but games that can take advantage of those extra pixels
unless you buy some kind of third party software which extends the movie some way
dont know why you would do that though


heavy mmo online gaming. streaming. light video editing. college homework.....

m
0
l
August 18, 2013 11:20:49 PM

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If it's conductive, it could cause a partial short and act like a big resistor. IIRC Artic Silver isn't though.

If you use too little, that can cause trouble too. If you pull the fan off, it should have spread to cover most of the heat spreader (<10mm gap at the edge).
m
0
l
!