Solved

1.5V vs 1.35V memory?

Could someone explain to me, or point me to an explanation, about what the difference between DDR3 1600 1.5Volt and 1.35V memory is?

Which is better? And just as importantly, how do I check if a given CPU/Motherboard combination supports either?
Reply to rutski89
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 35v memory
  1. Best answer
    The difference between the two is the voltage required to run the RAM at 1600mhz. Despite 1.5v being more than acceptable, a low voltage is generally always better. It means less stress to the CPU memory controller and also allows for more headroom when overclocking.

    As for compatibility, there's no way to check and little need as well. All DDR3 memory should work with any CPU/mobo combination. However, you do need to check that the speed of your RAM is supported by your motherboard. Although, 1600mhz should be fine.
    Reply to benjii
  2. Ah, interesting. I wonder if 1.35V ram is more expensive then, given the higher performance.

    To newegg!
    Reply to rutski89
  3. rutski89 said:
    Ah, interesting. I wonder if 1.35V ram is more expensive then, given the higher performance.

    To newegg!


    You should remember that there's no guarantees with overclocking. It stands to reason that lower voltage RAM should allow for more volts, however, it could be that it's pushing the boundaries of what it is capable of. My recommendation if you're wanting to overclock is to do a little research and see what other people have achieved with the same hardware.
    Reply to benjii
  4. Keep in mind not all mobos are ready to deal w/low voltage DRAM also.
    Reply to Tradesman1
  5. benjii said:
    The difference between the two is the voltage required to run the RAM at 1600mhz. Despite 1.5v being more than acceptable, a low voltage is generally always better. It means less stress to the CPU memory controller and also allows for more headroom when overclocking.

    As for compatibility, there's no way to check and little need as well. All DDR3 memory should work with any CPU/mobo combination. However, you do need to check that the speed of your RAM is supported by your motherboard. Although, 1600mhz should be fine.


    benjii said:
    rutski89 said:
    Ah, interesting. I wonder if 1.35V ram is more expensive then, given the higher performance.

    To newegg!


    You should remember that there's no guarantees with overclocking. It stands to reason that lower voltage RAM should allow for more volts, however, it could be that it's pushing the boundaries of what it is capable of. My recommendation if you're wanting to overclock is to do a little research and see what other people have achieved with the same hardware.



    hi ,benjii

    first sorry for my english

    and i have a question now

    could the 1.35v ram used for the 1.5v ram slot?

    i mean the Compatibility.

    i have the 8G 1600 ram but 1.35v , and i want to slot in my mac mini 2012 which need the 1.5V ram, can i do that?

    thanks for your reply if you could.

    my email address : (email address removed by Tradesman1)
    Reply to linjunjie
  6. linjunjie said:
    benjii said:
    The difference between the two is the voltage required to run the RAM at 1600mhz. Despite 1.5v being more than acceptable, a low voltage is generally always better. It means less stress to the CPU memory controller and also allows for more headroom when overclocking.

    As for compatibility, there's no way to check and little need as well. All DDR3 memory should work with any CPU/mobo combination. However, you do need to check that the speed of your RAM is supported by your motherboard. Although, 1600mhz should be fine.


    benjii said:
    rutski89 said:
    Ah, interesting. I wonder if 1.35V ram is more expensive then, given the higher performance.

    To newegg!


    You should remember that there's no guarantees with overclocking. It stands to reason that lower voltage RAM should allow for more volts, however, it could be that it's pushing the boundaries of what it is capable of. My recommendation if you're wanting to overclock is to do a little research and see what other people have achieved with the same hardware.



    hi ,benjii

    first sorry for my english

    and i have a question now

    could the 1.35v ram used for the 1.5v ram slot?

    i mean the Compatibility.

    i have the 8G 1600 ram but 1.35v , and i want to slot in my mac mini 2012 which need the 1.5V ram, can i do that?

    thanks for your reply if you could.

    my email address : (email address removed by Tradesman1)


    1.35 volt (DDR3L) memory and 1.5 volt (DDR3) memory are identical. Manufacturers simply select higher quality modules and configure them as 1.35 volt nominal.

    All DDR3L modules are fully backwards compatible with DDR3, meaning that 1.35 volt memory will run just fine at 1.5 volts. The reverse may be true in some cases, but is not guaranteed due to variation in quality.
    Reply to Pinhedd
  7. Im using 1.5v on my 1.35v DDR3L board (ECS H110M C3D) And everyone I asked said that my 1.5v Ram will work just fine, Ive been using it for a month now, so far so good. I even OCd it from 1333 to 1600 and im not encountering any problems at all :)))
    Reply to dankknightavngr
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

DDR3 Memory Motherboards