Any of the quad cores would work fine, you don't need to go with the Q9650. If you find one that's slightly lower on the chart but significantly cheaper, go with that.
thanks for the answer. i made the mistake of posting this on yahoo answers a few days ago and forgot i am registered here lol.
Here is a question then.
1. I do not want to overclock. The board is pretty easy to overclock the cpu, id rather overclock the ram from 800 to whatever i can (1066? make sense? im not a tech guy any longer sadly)
2. so i own a microsoft lifecam studio that has the nerve to recommend a dual core 3ghz cpu. that 3ghz number is why i am looking at the q9650
but there are cheaper chips that are 2.83 or 2.5ghz.
the 2.5ghz is half the price. should i be that concerned with a 500mhz difference?
3. my main will also be to at one point boot osx on it. this board seems to work well with that. i am just lucky. i currently boot my old T7200 imac into xp for all my editing and the system chokes.
4. i dont think it would be unrealistic to be happy with this system for about a year or two until i graduate, and i could likely run adobe software too.
is this unrealistic?
5. should i actually consider an AMD/ATI (i am so not tech anymore, used to be ati lol) card? I have heard they are better for video, but that intel/nvidia is better for adobe's software which i would like to get to in the next 6 months.