FX-8350 Overclock 4.6ghz: Unstable because of ram speed?

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hey, I've pushed my fx 8350 to 4.6ghz on default voltage. (1.3500).

On 4.5ghz it was stable. fsb is at 200mhz (default).

but upon going to 4.6ghz hardware failures start to show up. Now i dont think its because of to low voltage, because:

When running a blend test in prime95 i get multible hardware failures on my cores.

When running small FFts (ram not tested much) everything seemed stable for a total of 30 minutes.

I've heard that adjusting ram clocks can help stabilize high overclocks.

Should i lower my ram multiplier or set different timings? I rarely touch my ram settings and i used (profile1) for my motherboard which sets the timing for me. currently at 1600mhz which is default.

Specs:

FX-8350 black edition
Asus geforce gtx 660 2 gb
Corsair vengeance 8 gb 1600mhz
GA-990FXA-UD3

Power supply is 600w

Any help is apprciated!

EDIT:
I started out with a low vcore on the cpu. 1.2500 volt was stable at 4ghz, i increased it with the multiplier as it was needed.

Solution
clearly your cpu is undervolted. not sure why you're discounting that posibility. running a 8350 up to 4.6 and even running prime without hard crashing on stock voltage is impressive. you've got a pretty good cpu there... you might even get it up to 5.0. but you'll need to bump the vcore a bit. try bumping the vcore up a step and see what happens.

as an aside, what is your 600W psu? even a good one will be taxed by your build, and if it isn't a good one its possible your psu can't push the W necessary for your system. you've got a 300W cpu (under load) and a 200W gpu (under heavy load)... granted its unlikely you'll even hit full utilization for them both at the same time but you're bumping right up against the limits of a...
clearly your cpu is undervolted. not sure why you're discounting that posibility. running a 8350 up to 4.6 and even running prime without hard crashing on stock voltage is impressive. you've got a pretty good cpu there... you might even get it up to 5.0. but you'll need to bump the vcore a bit. try bumping the vcore up a step and see what happens.

as an aside, what is your 600W psu? even a good one will be taxed by your build, and if it isn't a good one its possible your psu can't push the W necessary for your system. you've got a 300W cpu (under load) and a 200W gpu (under heavy load)... granted its unlikely you'll even hit full utilization for them both at the same time but you're bumping right up against the limits of a mid or low end 600W psu.

Solution

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Alright i bumped up the voltage without touching anything else but the problem is occurs. however this time only 1 core failed on the blend test.

I've turned up the voltage 3 times and i am now up to 1.42 v.

The only change like i said is that only 1 core failed. i'm going to lower the ram speed to 1333mhz and see it if changes anything.

I'm still all for help.

fjaesbog

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Well, the thing is when you overclock, and something fails, you bump up your voltage by ONE. So if your core failed at 1.375, then you bump it up once, not 3 times. Put it 1.4v and see what happens. If everything seems to work, try to go for 5ghz.

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Well that is what i just did. went up to 1.375. Failed. 1.4000 also failed.

Also lowering the ram speed to 1333mhz didnt do the trick. still same problem. I'll keep increasing the voltage a few times more just to see if it solves anything

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
This thing is power hungry.

I had to go up to 1.47 volt to make it stable. However thanks to llc being set to extreme it uses 1.488 volt

Anyway its stable now. but i dont want to keep it like this. i went up to 60c after a couple of minutes.

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Well i guess so.

However is there anyone who has some tips as of how i can keep my vcore down? Because i would like to stay below 65 c when gaming. But of course pushing this chip as far as i can. But that requires low but stable voltages.

mmm... well, AMD cpus sometimes are a bit finicky, so there isn't a set answer to this question but i think i can give you some advice.

First of all, sometimes stability is found through your northbridge. you can sometimes stabilize the amd cpu (bulldozer/piledriver/deneb/thuban) by playing with your NB frequency, bumping it up a bit, playing with the nb voltage; playing with your ram voltage, speed and timings can help too. Sometimes you can actually pop past a step and find while your system wasn't that stable at 4.6ghz its really stable at 4.9ghz... not sure why but i've actually seen that to be the case with the vishera (might work that way with bulldozer too).

I would also look at your FSB, sometimes, for reasons that completely escape me, using your fsb speed to overclock your system can result in higher and more stable clocks at lower vcore, then just using all vcore. (of course this means you'll need to play with your cpu/nb voltage a bit at some point too)

in the end part of the fun of working with an AMD cpu is it can take weeks of tinkering to milk the most out of it, while balancing heat and power consumption.

And that bring me to the last point. What is your PSU? I asked before and you didn't answer me. Part of your problem might be your psu is giving poor power on your 12V rail which is making stabilizing your cpu and overclock nearly impossible, and requiring more power then you should be shoving into it. A high quality psu (if you don't have one) could fix some of your issue if you can't get anywhere playing with the nb/fsb/ram.

PriPhaze

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Ok ik the the post is kinda old already but for those who are still looking for an answer...}
U has to ptut the ram timming manually in the bios, idk if u already did it but that helped me went from 1.44 vcore back to 1.38 4.6Ghz all stable..... Before putting the timmings i was getting crashs everytime runing prime

Dunndunn

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
PriPhaze...I also had the prime95 crashing when I started overclocking through FSB.I see you say to manually set timings, but how do I know what's the correct timings to match my overclock?

PriPhaze

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Lol ! almost 3 yrs ago man... i went from fx8350 to i5 4670k and now im using a i7 4790k. But well answering your question .. to set the timming you just need to check your memory RAM model and look for the timmings online. Or some RAMs have the sticker with the memory timmings there which usually look like this "9-9-9-24" depends if they are c9, c10 and so on

PS: U dont need to set a timming to match your oc ... you only do that if u are ocing the RAM too but if not then just put the default timming