Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC under $600

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 19, 2013 11:20:17 AM

Hey guys. I am looking to build a gaming PC that is efficient yet cheap, preferably under $600. I need everything with this build, ie. Monitor, processor, OS, case. I will be using this computer for mostly gaming, graphic design, video making/editing, and everyday computing.

What I want:

Processor: Intel i5-i7/AMD A8-A10.
OS: Windows 8.
Monitor: 24" LED.
RAM: 8GB.

These are the only specifics I could think of off the top of my head.

Thank You.

More about : gaming 600

a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 11:27:48 AM

For 600$ you won't get i5 or even i7 with GPU for gaming if this budget includes monitor, OS.
And why not FX series?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 224 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 11:35:46 AM

Just made it in your price range. Also you should just download windows 7/8, I personally think 7 is easier to use and that windows 8 is built for touchscreen pc's.

This build is $599.03 and can run Far Cry 3 on High/Very High settings.
Gaming Build Link

This is a gameplay of BF3 with the 7750, which is not as good as the 7770.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq5v1jXUEXM
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 11:38:30 AM

RazerZ said:
Just made it in your price range. Also you should just download windows 7/8, I personally think 7 is easier to use and that windows 8 is built for touchscreen pc's.

This build is $599.03 and can run Far Cry 3 on Very high/ Ultra settings.
Gaming Build Link


This build is a blatant lie in every way. First off, the MB doesn't support a 125W CPU, second it doesn't include windows: it will cost $690. Thirdly the GPU is even weaker then the one I selected. At 1080p it will play games at medium settings at most. Please don't confuse the OP. Stating lies will not help him make a better build.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 11:51:48 AM

John Bong said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tOPg

a good chunk of your budget goes to your monitor, case and OS...so integrated graphics is the best i could do


So I decided to step away from the Phantom as a case because of it's price :( 
Are there any cheap yet appealing cases you would recommend?
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 11:57:41 AM

I'm not sure you realize exactly what you are asking here. Let me see if I can break it down a bit for you:

Needing a monitor and Operating system immediately removes $200 from your budget (~$100 for each).
The case you want also costs $100. You also need a decent quality PSU, which is going to run you around $40 at a bare minimum.

So now you are left with only $260 for a CPU, GPU, HDD, MB, RAM, and optical Drive.

You want 8GB of RAM, so deduct another ~$50, and the least expensive HDD you will find is going to be roughly $30. Then you have to deduct another $20 for the optical drive.

Now you are left with $160 and still need all of the "core" parts, the ones that actually matter for performance, in a gaming computer.

The least expensive, Intel Core i7 CPU is $280, so an i7 is not an option. and the least expensive Core i5 is $180, which would leave you with just $40 for a motherboard and GPU (not going to be able to game on an integrated Intel GPU).

So checking into the AMD APU option, the good thing is it negates the need for a GPU, but the bad news is that you still need both a CPU and MB and only have $180 to get them.

That said, using money rather than quality as the primary decision maker on all non-core parts, you would be able to build a $600 PC right now with the highest end AMD APU and your other requirements due to some pretty good deals going on right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4 ATX FM2 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer G206HQLbd 60Hz 19.5" Monitor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $605.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-19 15:04 EDT-0400)

EDIT: switched to a HDD that actually HAS pricing data and went to a cheaper case that you may still find appealing.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 12:01:07 PM

I highly recommend you take a look at the benchmarks from the AMD A10 review here on TH to verify that you would be OK with the overall performance this type of PC build would give you.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:12:17 PM

best i could do, 620 without OS/monitor but got an i5

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($154.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $615.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-19 15:12 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:23:06 PM

Jefferygames said:
John Bong said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tOPg

a good chunk of your budget goes to your monitor, case and OS...so integrated graphics is the best i could do


http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jefferygames/saved/2cSf

Here is an edited version of what you put together. I'm not very knowledgable about putting together computers. Can you tell me if this build would still work?
Thanks


Take a look at my build that I linked. It will destroy this build in CPU or gaming performance. It also uses better quality parts.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:28:32 PM

RazerZ said:
Regarding the earlier post, sorry didn't mean to lie lol. I had the wrong mobo and I changed that.
Here is the new set up, and also a gameplay test with a 6300, which is slightly slower than a 6350.
Total Cost: $598.36

Gameplay

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RazerZ/saved/#savedbuild_513850


Still no windows and a weaker GPU then mine even for $690, if you include windows. It is way over budget.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 12:39:06 PM

Krill'a build sucks Lolz and will cost you more then $600 Lolz feggit wants best answer lolz
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:46:28 PM

KrewlisFeggit said:
Krill'a build sucks Lolz and will cost you more then $600 Lolz feggit wants best answer lolz


Really? How so troll?
m
0
l
a c 224 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:46:56 PM

kirilmatthew said:
RazerZ said:
Regarding the earlier post, sorry didn't mean to lie lol. I had the wrong mobo and I changed that.
Here is the new set up, and also a gameplay test with a 6300, which is slightly slower than a 6350.
Total Cost: $598.36

Well I changed it know it is $636.97. Also If you already have a product key, you don't need to buy windows again.Gameplay

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RazerZ/saved/#savedbuild_513850


Still no windows and a weaker GPU then mine even for $690, if you include windows. It is way over budget.


Well I made some changed and it comes to a $636.97 total. If you already have windows 7 and the product key then you can download windows 7 onto the new system legally and just activate it with the product key. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/download-windows-7.htm
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:48:55 PM

RazerZ said:
kirilmatthew said:
RazerZ said:
Regarding the earlier post, sorry didn't mean to lie lol. I had the wrong mobo and I changed that.
Here is the new set up, and also a gameplay test with a 6300, which is slightly slower than a 6350.
Total Cost: $598.36

Well I changed it know it is $636.97. Also If you already have a product key, you don't need to buy windows again.Gameplay

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RazerZ/saved/#savedbuild_513850


Still no windows and a weaker GPU then mine even for $690, if you include windows. It is way over budget.


Well I made some changed and it comes to a $636.97 total. If you already have windows 7 and the product key then you can download windows 7 onto the new system legally and just activate it with the product key. See here for more info


The OP specifically stated they needed windows. Nevertheless, even if windows was free, my build has a better GPU.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 12:58:26 PM

I also need a cheap mouse and keyboard. Later on I will for sure be buying the Razer Naga mouse and Blackwidow keyboard. But for the mean time I need a mouse and keyboard that will work for gaming and is also cheap.
m
0
l
a c 224 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 12:59:10 PM

kirilmatthew said:
RazerZ said:
kirilmatthew said:
RazerZ said:
Regarding the earlier post, sorry didn't mean to lie lol. I had the wrong mobo and I changed that.
Here is the new set up, and also a gameplay test with a 6300, which is slightly slower than a 6350.
Total Cost: $598.36

Well I changed it know it is $636.97. Also If you already have a product key, you don't need to buy windows again.Gameplay

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RazerZ/saved/#savedbuild_513850


Still no windows and a weaker GPU then mine even for $690, if you include windows. It is way over budget.


Well I made some changed and it comes to a $636.97 total. If you already have windows 7 and the product key then you can download windows 7 onto the new system legally and just activate it with the product key. See here for more info


The OP specifically stated they needed windows. Nevertheless, even if windows was free, my build has a better GPU.


Your build has a worse GPU?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf7Q2-A7AU
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 1:01:37 PM

RazerZ said:
kirilmatthew said:
RazerZ said:
kirilmatthew said:
RazerZ said:
Regarding the earlier post, sorry didn't mean to lie lol. I had the wrong mobo and I changed that.
Here is the new set up, and also a gameplay test with a 6300, which is slightly slower than a 6350.
Total Cost: $598.36

Well I changed it know it is $636.97. Also If you already have a product key, you don't need to buy windows again.Gameplay

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RazerZ/saved/#savedbuild_513850


Still no windows and a weaker GPU then mine even for $690, if you include windows. It is way over budget.


Well I made some changed and it comes to a $636.97 total. If you already have windows 7 and the product key then you can download windows 7 onto the new system legally and just activate it with the product key. See here for more info


The OP specifically stated they needed windows. Nevertheless, even if windows was free, my build has a better GPU.


Your build has a worse GPU?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf7Q2-A7AU


You changed your build. If you give me that money that you took from removing windows, my build would have a 7950. Put windows in like the OP wants and then make a build. The OP needs windows, your build doesn't have it. This is basic.
m
0
l
a c 224 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 1:06:49 PM

Ok, so I took off the monitor and added windows... Jeffery if you need a monitor look for one on craigslist.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 1:10:08 PM

RazerZ said:
Ok, so I took off the monitor and added windows... Jeffery if you need a monitor look for one on craigslist.


That's your answer, remove one necessity and include another? Come on man, help the guy out and include all of what they ask for.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 1:43:55 PM

Jefferygames said:
John Bong said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tOPg

a good chunk of your budget goes to your monitor, case and OS...so integrated graphics is the best i could do


http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jefferygames/saved/2cSf

Here is an edited version of what you put together. I'm not very knowledgable about putting together computers. Can you tell me if this build would still work?
Thanks


the PSU is not a part to skimp on...certain brands are not worth it. yes you can get a cheapo PSU and it may last a while, but you run the risk of the PSU failing (sometime in as little as a few weeks) and frying the rest of your system along with it.

at the very minimum on this build i would go with a Corsair 430W. as far as a cheap case, check out the Rosewill Ranger:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RANGER-M-MicroATX-Tower-...

m
3
l
August 19, 2013 1:52:44 PM

John Bong said:
Jefferygames said:
John Bong said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tOPg

a good chunk of your budget goes to your monitor, case and OS...so integrated graphics is the best i could do


http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jefferygames/saved/2cSf

Here is an edited version of what you put together. I'm not very knowledgable about putting together computers. Can you tell me if this build would still work?
Thanks


the PSU is not a part to skimp on...certain brands are not worth it. yes you can get a cheapo PSU and it may last a while, but you run the risk of the PSU failing (sometime in as little as a few weeks) and frying the rest of your system along with it.

at the very minimum on this build i would go with a Corsair 430W. as far as a cheap case, check out the Rosewill Ranger:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RANGER-M-MicroATX-Tower-...


+1 on the importance of a quality PSU.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 2:48:07 PM

You could actually manage to fit a Radeon 7770 GHz Edition into the build if you went with a <$35 case and settled for a Core i3 CPU. This build would likely max your gaming potential, but it drops you down to a dual core CPU. This means it will have a bit of an impact on your productivity (video/photo editing, graphic design, etc.) applications.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($57.23 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-321WB (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G206HQLbd 60Hz 19.5" Monitor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $594.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-19 17:45 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 8:52:22 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
You could actually manage to fit a Radeon 7770 GHz Edition into the build if you went with a <$35 case and settled for a Core i3 CPU. This build would likely max your gaming potential, but it drops you down to a dual core CPU. This means it will have a bit of an impact on your productivity (video/photo editing, graphic design, etc.) applications.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($57.23 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-321WB (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G206HQLbd 60Hz 19.5" Monitor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $594.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-19 17:45 EDT-0400)


I would not pick i3 for gaming anymore. Too many gamings are starting to need four cores. I wouldn't want to stick that in a rig when you can get a phenom II x4 or a FX-6300.
m
0
l
a c 224 4 Gaming
August 19, 2013 9:40:14 PM

John Bong said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tOPg

a good chunk of your budget goes to your monitor, case and OS...so integrated graphics is the best i could do


Without a graphics card this build just won't cut it if your into gaming / photoshop/ etc. Also the power supply is too strong for the build shown. I would highly reccomend you to save another $100 for a system that will last.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This build will be great for gaming:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RazerZ/saved/2cNk
m
0
l
August 20, 2013 8:01:13 AM

kirilmatthew said:
Isaiah4110 said:
You could actually manage to fit a Radeon 7770 GHz Edition into the build if you went with a <$35 case and settled for a Core i3 CPU. This build would likely max your gaming potential, but it drops you down to a dual core CPU. This means it will have a bit of an impact on your productivity (video/photo editing, graphic design, etc.) applications.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($57.23 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-321WB (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G206HQLbd 60Hz 19.5" Monitor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $594.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-19 17:45 EDT-0400)


I would not pick i3 for gaming anymore. Too many gamings are starting to need four cores. I wouldn't want to stick that in a rig when you can get a phenom II x4 or a FX-6300.


I'm sorry, but in what essentially amounts to a $400 build no game is going to hit a CPU bottleneck before it hits a GPU bottleneck. As a pure gaming rig a $400 build is actually best off with something along the lines of an Intel Pentium G-Series CPU. The problem with that is the OP would definitely notice the difference in all his non-gaming software.

Please don't try to point out a problem with someone else's recommendation unless you have a solution to the problem you claim exists.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 224 4 Gaming
August 20, 2013 10:23:30 AM

That build was okay, except there were some parts that were poor quality so I updated them and made this build.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Updated slightly

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.13 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 760GM-GS3 Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($21.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($25.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.88 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Gateway FHX2303LAbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $640.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 14:40 EDT-0400)
Share
August 20, 2013 11:22:16 AM

i was just about to recommend the Phenom since he was getting a 7770 ...nice build here

except for the 1 8GB stick of ram...id recommend 2x4GB...also the integrated sound card is fine, no need to buy one, especially a cheap one.
m
0
l
August 20, 2013 7:57:47 PM

Thanks so much for the help guys!
m
0
l
a c 224 4 Gaming
August 20, 2013 8:47:21 PM

Jefferygames said:
Thanks so much for the help guys!


Glad to help :D . Hope to hear from you soon with the build, and feel free to ask any questions when setting it up.
m
0
l
!