Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Fractal R4 fan set up?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 19, 2013 1:32:58 PM

Hey guys,
I was just wondering the forums view on the optimum fan set up for my build. Like the title says a fractal r4 case is being used. Currently, the rear space is occupied by my H80i. I then have an exhaust fan at the front and an intake fan on one of the two options at the top?

Anybody with more experience than me (I'm new to building) offer a few pointers?

Thanks
Alex

More about : fractal fan set

August 19, 2013 1:46:07 PM

i personally think top fans should be exhaust as heat rises. and your front fans should be intakes as there are dust filtered!

but you could also get some after market dust filters and use you top fans as intakes as well as your front fans as intakes. this would create positive pressure in your pc case. pushing all air out the back off the pc. this helps keep you pc dust free and increase air passing through you H80i too.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 2:00:11 PM

GeekThief said:
i personally think top fans should be exhaust as heat rises. and your front fans should be intakes as there are dust filtered!

but you could also get some after market dust filters and use you top fans as intakes as well as your front fans as intakes. this would create positive pressure in your pc case. pushing all air out the back off the pc. this helps keep you pc dust free and increase air passing through you H80i too.


Forgot to mention I was going to buy the other 3 fans or wateva it holds? :D  and thats a good point I just assumed having the air blow down onto the graphics card to be a good idea? What u think should be done with the side fan? :p 
m
0
l
Related resources
August 19, 2013 2:17:30 PM

Your graphics card fan will push air over it's self. you case fans just need to bring in cold air and exhaust the hot air.

If your are planing on using all the case fans (apart from the bottom). then i would 2x dust filters for the side and rear fans. i would then use the Front, Rear and Side fans as filtered intakes. Then i would use the top fans as exhaust fans. You then have positive pressure in the case pushing all the heat up and helps keeps the inside off your pc dust free. (This is assuming your graphics has an after market design).
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 2:40:23 PM

GeekThief said:
Your graphics card fan will push air over it's self. you case fans just need to bring in cold air and exhaust the hot air.

If your are planing on using all the case fans (apart from the bottom). then i would 2x dust filters for the side and rear fans. i would then use the Front, Rear and Side fans as filtered intakes. Then i would use the top fans as exhaust fans. You then have positive pressure in the case pushing all the heat up and helps keeps the inside off your pc dust free. (This is assuming your graphics has an after market design).


So I can buy dust filters separately? and would the set up you mention above be ok if I didn't use the rear fan? but instead used the h80i cpu cooler instead? :)  and yh its an aftermarket GPU with its own fans :D  (again sorry for my ignorance, new to the game)
m
0
l

Best solution

August 19, 2013 3:02:44 PM

yes you can buy dust filters. i have one on my pc as i use my rear fan as an intake fan myself. but didn't want it to pull in dust :) 

yes you could still keep the H80i on the rear fan mount and use it and an Intake so it sucks in cold air to the H80i (you just need to turn the fans around). or you can keep it as an exhaust too.

the idea (or the way it works in my head lol) is not only to having a good air flow through the case. but to be pushing a little more air in to the case than you are pulling out of the case.

this will help force hot air out off the case keeping the ambient temperature in the case as close to room temperature as possible. if you can filter your intakes then you will also keep the case dust free too :) 

so using this as a guide you can then work out how to use the fans mount to get the best cooling for your case.

hope this helps :) 
Share
August 19, 2013 3:52:28 PM

GeekThief said:
yes you can buy dust filters. i have one on my pc as i use my rear fan as an intake fan myself. but didn't want it to pull in dust :) 

yes you could still keep the H80i on the rear fan mount and use it and an Intake so it sucks in cold air to the H80i (you just need to turn the fans around). or you can keep it as an exhaust too.

the idea (or the way it works in my head lol) is not only to having a good air flow through the case. but to be pushing a little more air in to the case than you are pulling out of the case.

this will help force hot air out off the case keeping the ambient temperature in the case as close to room temperature as possible. if you can filter your intakes then you will also keep the case dust free too :) 

so using this as a guide you can then work out how to use the fans mount to get the best cooling for your case.

hope this helps :) 


That's excellent man cheers :p  massive help
m
0
l
!