Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

4770k, 3930k, or wait for 4930k? (Using for Graphic Design/Gaming)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 19, 2013 3:19:59 PM

Tieing up all loose ends and figuring out exactly what I need. I know that Ivy-E are supposed to come out soon, September I think? Anyways, should I go with 4770k, 3930k, or wait for the 4930k?

I'm going to be using Photoshop, Illustrator, Mudbox, Zbrush, Cinemad 4D, and InDesign. I will also being gaming as well from time to time.

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 130 å Intel
a c 218 à CPUs
August 19, 2013 8:34:03 PM

The first thing that you want to do is let us know what your budget is since there is a price difference in which platform you go with.
The i7-3930k and the i7-4930k are six core processors with hyper threading giving you 12 processing cores to work with and then the LGA 2011 socket platform is a bit more expensive then the i7-4770k LGA 1150 socket platform. The i7-4770k ia a quad core with Hyper threading giving you 8 processing cores and a lower price point.

Also you want to decide on the video card and will it be one or two and will it be the Quadro or a regular desktop card and will there be more than one.
Share
August 19, 2013 9:11:11 PM

inzone said:
The first thing that you want to do is let us know what your budget is since there is a price difference in which platform you go with.
The i7-3930k and the i7-4930k are six core processors with hyper threading giving you 12 processing cores to work with and then the LGA 2011 socket platform is a bit more expensive then the i7-4770k LGA 1150 socket platform. The i7-4770k ia a quad core with Hyper threading giving you 8 processing cores and a lower price point.

Also you want to decide on the video card and will it be one or two and will it be the Quadro or a regular desktop card and will there be more than one.


I won't need the quadro I was thinking either, 770 classified or 780 classified. I do intend on gaming. My budget for the whole system is just under $2700, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Art is a big part of my life, so I will put this to good use. If you don't mind could you recommend a graphics card for me, I don't play many FPS games mainly RPGs and MMOs
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2013 9:13:47 PM

4770K for value, 4930K if you want the extra cores.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:15:43 PM

GodIsAnAstronaut said:
inzone said:
The first thing that you want to do is let us know what your budget is since there is a price difference in which platform you go with.
The i7-3930k and the i7-4930k are six core processors with hyper threading giving you 12 processing cores to work with and then the LGA 2011 socket platform is a bit more expensive then the i7-4770k LGA 1150 socket platform. The i7-4770k ia a quad core with Hyper threading giving you 8 processing cores and a lower price point.

Also you want to decide on the video card and will it be one or two and will it be the Quadro or a regular desktop card and will there be more than one.


I won't need the quadro I was thinking either, 770 classified or 780 classified. I do intend on gaming. My budget for the whole system is just under $2700, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Art is a big part of my life, so I will put this to good use. If you don't mind could you recommend a graphics card for me, I don't play many FPS games mainly RPGs and MMOs


Well, if you don't play games as a main point, the 760 is fine for the on and off gamer (maybe 670). If you want to play newer titles for years to come, get the 770 or 780 or 680 or SLI two 760s. Don't go with the titan or 690 because their price : performance is not that great in comparison.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 130 å Intel
a c 218 à CPUs
August 19, 2013 9:23:53 PM

I would go with the 780 Classified, Evga makes some really good variations of Nvidias reference cards and the Classified model I top quality. Even the 770 Classified is a good choice.
I had the Evga 680 Classified and it was a great card.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:25:57 PM

WallaceMcG said:
GodIsAnAstronaut said:
inzone said:
The first thing that you want to do is let us know what your budget is since there is a price difference in which platform you go with.
The i7-3930k and the i7-4930k are six core processors with hyper threading giving you 12 processing cores to work with and then the LGA 2011 socket platform is a bit more expensive then the i7-4770k LGA 1150 socket platform. The i7-4770k ia a quad core with Hyper threading giving you 8 processing cores and a lower price point.

Also you want to decide on the video card and will it be one or two and will it be the Quadro or a regular desktop card and will there be more than one.


I won't need the quadro I was thinking either, 770 classified or 780 classified. I do intend on gaming. My budget for the whole system is just under $2700, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Art is a big part of my life, so I will put this to good use. If you don't mind could you recommend a graphics card for me, I don't play many FPS games mainly RPGs and MMOs


Well, if you don't play games as a main point, the 760 is fine for the on and off gamer (maybe 670). If you want to play newer titles for years to come, get the 770 or 780 or 680 or SLI two 760s. Don't go with the titan or 690 because their price : performance is not that great in comparison.


I was looking at benchmarks for the 760, it seems to suit me well. It reaches just over 60FPS Ultra on Skyrim so that kind of got me, I'm a huge fan of the elder scrolls series. I would like to play Elder Scrolls online, Dragon Age, and possibly Assassins Creed, I also really enjoy RTS games. I really don't play FPS games like Crysis, Battlefield, or Far Cry. Would it be better the 4gb version of the 760?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 130 å Intel
a c 218 à CPUs
August 19, 2013 9:28:51 PM

If your monitor is 1920x1080p then a 2gb card is fine, if you have a 2560x1600 then the 4gb would be better.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:28:52 PM

GodIsAnAstronaut said:

I was looking at benchmarks for the 760, it seems to suit me well. It reaches just over 60FPS Ultra on Skyrim so that kind of got me, I'm a huge fan of the elder scrolls series. I would like to play Elder Scrolls online, Dragon Age, and possibly Assassins Creed, I also really enjoy RTS games. I really don't play FPS games like Crysis, Battlefield, or Far Cry. Would it be better the 4gb version of the 760?


How many monitors are you using and at what res.?
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:31:52 PM

WallaceMcG said:
GodIsAnAstronaut said:

I was looking at benchmarks for the 760, it seems to suit me well. It reaches just over 60FPS Ultra on Skyrim so that kind of got me, I'm a huge fan of the elder scrolls series. I would like to play Elder Scrolls online, Dragon Age, and possibly Assassins Creed, I also really enjoy RTS games. I really don't play FPS games like Crysis, Battlefield, or Far Cry. Would it be better the 4gb version of the 760?


How many monitors are you using and at what res.?


I use 2 Dell U2412M's, of course I only game on one, and the resolution is 1920x1200.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:33:40 PM

GodIsAnAstronaut said:

I use 2 Dell U2412M's, of course I only game on one, and the resolution is 1920x1200.

If you're gaming on one, I could say that the 2GB is enough. But since it's 2 monitors, you may decide later to play on both, so go for the 4GB to last you a little longer than a 2GB version. Just so you can squeeze out all you can from the card.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:36:18 PM

WallaceMcG said:
GodIsAnAstronaut said:

I use 2 Dell U2412M's, of course I only game on one, and the resolution is 1920x1200.

If you're gaming on one, I could say that the 2GB is enough. But since it's 2 monitors, you may decide later to play on both, so go for the 4GB to last you a little longer than a 2GB version. Just so you can squeeze out all you can from the card.


I only have the 2 monitors for productivity for when I'm using my wacom tablet. I always wondered though is possible to play games split on 2 monitors? I thought it had to be 3.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:41:15 PM

GodIsAnAstronaut said:

I only have the 2 monitors for productivity for when I'm using my wacom tablet. I always wondered though is possible to play games split on 2 monitors? I thought it had to be 3.


Yeah, it does have to be 3, my bad, but you may later decide to get another one. Then the extra 2 GB vRAM would actually make it possible. What's the pricing difference where you're from between the two? If it's a small difference, definitely get the 4GB version.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:44:29 PM

WallaceMcG said:
GodIsAnAstronaut said:

I only have the 2 monitors for productivity for when I'm using my wacom tablet. I always wondered though is possible to play games split on 2 monitors? I thought it had to be 3.


Yeah, it does have to be 3, my bad, but you may later decide to get another one. Then the extra 2 GB vRAM would actually make it possible. What's the pricing difference where you're from between the two? If it's a small difference, definitely get the 4GB version.


The 2gb version is $259.99 and the 4gb is $319.99, not that big of a difference, I think I'm leaning towards this idea.
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:50:19 PM

GodIsAnAstronaut said:

The 2gb version is $259.99 and the 4gb is $319.99, not that big of a difference, I think I'm leaning towards this idea.


Hmm.. The price difference is definitely noticeable, but the extra 2 GB can probably squeeze in another year or so of the life of that card. It's up to you at this point. If you aren't planning on upgrading until the card can't run the newest game you like well enough, go with 4 GB. If you have a regular upgrade session, go with 2 GB because you want the best value components in that line of thinking. Your call.
m
0
l
!