Solved

Will an i3 2100 bottleneck/decrease performance with a GTX 650?

Hi community,
The title basically says it all.
The build is composed of:
-Intel core i3 2100 @ 3.19 ("overclocked")
-2 X 4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 (X.M.P. Profile)
-Asus p8Z77 LK motherboard
-EVGA GTX 650
-Corsair CX430W
The reason I'm asking is because my old build that runs an i5 750 + XFX HD 5770 rune everything I throw at it perfectly like New Vegas, Dolphin Emulator, Borderlands 1/2, ect but the i3 build can't. I have to play most of the games at a low setting and sometimes the game just crashes. The GTX 650 is refurbished because the first one kept giving me BSODs.
Both are running Win 8 pro 64bit.
I was planning to replace the i3 with a i5 3570k or replace the gtx 650 with a gtx 660 but I don't know which one to replace.
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2100 bottleneck decrease performance gtx 650
  1. Your CPU should be fine, and probably will not bottle neck the GTX 660.

I'd say upgrade your GPU, honestly. There isn't much of a bottleneck from my experiences, and that extra GPU power from a 650 to 660 will be worth it in the long run. Wait until next gen or 5th gen to upgrade.
  2. PCDave said:
    Your CPU should be fine, and probably will not bottle neck the GTX 660.

I'd say upgrade your GPU, honestly. There isn't much of a bottleneck from my experiences, and that extra GPU power from a 650 to 660 will be worth it in the long run. Wait until next gen or 5th gen to upgrade.

I was thinking of that. I would get a GTX 660 and dedicate the GTX 650 for PhysX. However, the 2100 only scores 5.3 on the Index, so I was thinking of getting a better CPU before a new GPU.
  3. In games, the i3 is routhly equivalent to the FX-6300. The only concern with the i3 is the occasional game that basically requires a quad to run well.
  4. Best answer
    TheNutKicker said:
    PCDave said:
    Your CPU should be fine, and probably will not bottle neck the GTX 660.

I was thinking of that. I would get a GTX 660 and dedicate the GTX 650 for PhysX. However, the 2100 only scores 5.3 on the Index, so I was thinking of getting a better CPU before a new GPU.

I'd still say go with the GPU upgrade, as most games are still single-dual threaded.

Here's a video regarding the topic: (note that CPU in demonstration is almost the same as yours in terms of performance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIT9uLDjZcg
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Build CPUs