Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asus Sabertooth 990FX (First Model) RAM question

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 21, 2013 11:54:09 AM

Hey all!

So recently, I bought 16GB of 1866 ram, wanted to upgrade for gaming/adobe program reasons. But, my cooler master 212 plus cpu cooler is blocking the first slot of ram

I really want the new ram in as fast as I can. Can I safely use slot 2 and 4 of the ram? I can take out the blocked ram, but I doubt I can put one in, if that makes sense. So I wanna make sure using slots 2 and 4 will work with the new RAM. Thanks!

Edit: I don't wanna take the cooler out, it's a huge pain to do so and I don't trust myself.
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 11:59:09 AM

normally it will not be an issue if you use those other slots. There are rare cases that the MB and Ram will not work like that but you should be fine. This usually occurs when overclocking the ram.
m
0
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:02:12 PM

Hmmm, iirc, you'd want to put the RAM in slots 3-4 on that board (I have one), but I'd need to recheck.
Is the back plate accessible in your case, or would you have to take the mobo out to replace the cooler? The Xigmatek Gaia is superior to the more often mentioned Hyper212 EVO, particularly for bang/buck but in this case also because it doesn't block RAM slots. It is what I am using. Here's some comparative data:
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/07/07/review-xigmatek-...
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/11/27/review-cooler-ma...

Unlike the Hyper212 EVO (ignore the URL; it IS the EVO they tested), the Gaia never throttled, although it wasn't always the coolest depending on the fan used. Both got awards, but if you factor in the price, the Gaia wins hands down. Like I said it is what I have, and it doesn't block the RAM slots on my 990FX Sabertooth.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 21, 2013 12:03:59 PM

Onus said:
Hmmm, iirc, you'd want to put the RAM in slots 3-4 on that board (I have one), but I'd need to recheck.
Is the back plate accessible in your case, or would you have to take the mobo out to replace the cooler? The Xigmatek Gaia is superior to the more often mentioned Hyper212 EVO, particularly for bang/buck but in this case also because it doesn't block RAM slots. It is what I am using. Here's some comparative data:
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/07/07/review-xigmatek-...
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/11/27/review-cooler-ma...

Unlike the Hyper212 EVO (ignore the URL; it IS the EVO they tested), the Gaia never throttled, although it wasn't always the coolest depending on the fan used. Both got awards, but if you factor in the price, the Gaia wins hands down. Like I said it is what I have, and it doesn't block the RAM slots on my 990FX Sabertooth.


There is a back plate. But I specifically had a guy come in and put it in, this stuff is expensive and I'm not rich, so I only let professionals mess with it. But RAM is RAM, it's easy to put in. I still don't wanna take out the cooler though.

So slots 3-4 should work? Any performance hits with that?

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:07:41 PM

I have found that most times if you have the short ram heat sinks you can sneak them under the fan for the heat sink. Not to mention the brackets for the Hyper 212 evo's fan are extremely easy to remove from the cooler to install the ram. you can pop them with one finger on the bottom side of the cooler and the fan will come right off. Push to put back on.

no performance hit in that configuration will be seen.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 12:09:12 PM

bgunner said:
I have found that most times if you have the short ram heat sinks you can sneak them under the fan for the heat sink. Not to mention the brackets for the Hyper 212 evo's fan are extremely easy to remove from the cooler to install the ram.


I forgot to mention, I have the Cooler master 212 Plus, not EVO. Does that make a difference?.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:11:58 PM

Liam Murphy said:
bgunner said:
I have found that most times if you have the short ram heat sinks you can sneak them under the fan for the heat sink. Not to mention the brackets for the Hyper 212 evo's fan are extremely easy to remove from the cooler to install the ram.


I forgot to mention, I have the Cooler master 212 Plus, not EVO. Does that make a difference?.


No the brackets are the same 2 tabs on the bottom side that when popped the fan will swing out and come off to give the room needed. But keep in mind that the ram will have to have the short heat sinks and not the medium or tall.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 12:13:02 PM

bgunner said:
Liam Murphy said:
bgunner said:
I have found that most times if you have the short ram heat sinks you can sneak them under the fan for the heat sink. Not to mention the brackets for the Hyper 212 evo's fan are extremely easy to remove from the cooler to install the ram.


I forgot to mention, I have the Cooler master 212 Plus, not EVO. Does that make a difference?.


No the brackets are the same 2 tabs on the bottom side that when popped the fan will swing out and come off to give the room needed. But keep in mind that the ram will have to have the short heat sinks and not the medium or tall.


I have the AMD performance ram, so it is super super short. But if I CAN'T fit it in, do you agree with Onus in using slots 3-4?
m
0
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:13:32 PM

The Plus does not cool as well as the EVO or Gaia, but its fan should unclip easily too. You may be able to slide it up some too. Careful of the fins though, they're sharp enough to slice fingers.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 12:15:35 PM

Onus said:
The Plus does not cool as well as the EVO or Gaia, but its fan should unclip easily too. You may be able to slide it up some too. Careful of the fins though, they're sharp enough to slice fingers.


The fans aren't blocking the ram, it's the actual metal part of the cooler. So I can't just unclip a fan and I can put new ram in. I'd do that if I could. But I'd have to take the whole cooler out first.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:18:39 PM

Yes i fully agree with Onus on where you can place the ram. He is correct that the ram can be placed in slots 3&4 and work fine. not to mention you will not have to mess with the cooler.

The AMD performance Ram comes with the short heat spreaders so "IF" you decide to get more ram on top of the ram you just ordered it should fit under the heat sink's fan.
Share
August 21, 2013 12:20:18 PM

bgunner said:
Yes i fully agree with Onus on where you can place the ram. He is correct that the ram can be placed in slots 3&4 and work fine. not to mention you will not have to mess with the cooler.

The AMD performance Ram comes with the short heat spreaders so "IF" you decide to get more ram on top of the ram you just ordered it should fit under the heat sink's fan.


Thanks Bgunner, and to you as well Onus. :D 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:22:42 PM

Liam Murphy said:
Onus said:
The Plus does not cool as well as the EVO or Gaia, but its fan should unclip easily too. You may be able to slide it up some too. Careful of the fins though, they're sharp enough to slice fingers.


The fans aren't blocking the ram, it's the actual metal part of the cooler. So I can't just unclip a fan and I can put new ram in. I'd do that if I could. But I'd have to take the whole cooler out first.


Did the installer in stall the heat sink with the fans pushing the air UP or towards the back of the case? My guess is up because the cooler is very thin from front to back and should not come near the ram slots if installed with the heat being pushed towards the rear fan.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 12:24:05 PM

bgunner said:
Liam Murphy said:
Onus said:
The Plus does not cool as well as the EVO or Gaia, but its fan should unclip easily too. You may be able to slide it up some too. Careful of the fins though, they're sharp enough to slice fingers.


The fans aren't blocking the ram, it's the actual metal part of the cooler. So I can't just unclip a fan and I can put new ram in. I'd do that if I could. But I'd have to take the whole cooler out first.



Did the installer in stall the heat sink with the fans pushing the air UP or towards the back of the case? My guess is up because the cooler is very thin from front to back and should not come near the ram slots if installed with the heat being pushed towards the rear fan.


I have the NZXT Phantom case, he built it so the fan was facing towards the top of the case, and the side of the cooler was blocking the RAM.

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:26:25 PM

Definitely go with what Onus said then and use slots 3 and 4.
m
0
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
August 21, 2013 12:27:33 PM

He did it wrong. The cooler should exhaust toward the rear, specifically to avoid blocking RAM slots.
m
0
l
!