Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I'm getting a new HDD, and I don't have the drivers for any of my components.

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 21, 2013 5:37:33 PM

Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz
8 GB DDR3 Ram
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
EVGA Ge-force GTX 660 Ti 2 GB
1TB seagate HDD
Thermal-take 850 watt modular power supply
Asus motherboard (no clue what specs are nor how to find them out)
Standard CD Writer/reader

My hard drive on my tower is being replaced with a new 1TB Seagate HDD. I realize i have to re-install all my drivers for everything. A while ago a couple boxes got mixed up and somehow all my disk drivers got thrown out. How can I reacquire
all these drivers? I have a 16 GB flash drive that i can use to put all the drivers on if that is a way to do it. If, so could someone make a list of all the drivers that i need to get my computer back up and running again. Like, do i need drivers for my motherboard, Graphics card, Power supply, HDD, Ram, CD drive. Is there any in that list that i need/don't need drivers for? Also, How can i figure out what Motherboard i have, and the specs on it?
Thanks.

PS. If i get all the driver setup.exe's on that flash drive, how can i manually install them? Or do i have to put each individual setup on a separate CD? If so, do they just auto-install? If you need more detail, just ask and i'll provide the best answer I can.

More about : hdd drivers components

August 21, 2013 5:48:59 PM

Austin1346 said:
Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz
8 GB DDR3 Ram
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
EVGA Ge-force GTX 660 Ti 2 GB
1TB seagate HDD
Thermal-take 850 watt modular power supply
Asus motherboard (no clue what specs are nor how to find them out)
Standard CD Writer/reader

My hard drive on my tower is being replaced with a new 1TB Seagate HDD. I realize i have to re-install all my drivers for everything. A while ago a couple boxes got mixed up and somehow all my disk drivers got thrown out. How can I reacquire
all these drivers? I have a 16 GB flash drive that i can use to put all the drivers on if that is a way to do it. If, so could someone make a list of all the drivers that i need to get my computer back up and running again. Like, do i need drivers for my motherboard, Graphics card, Power supply, HDD, Ram, CD drive. Is there any in that list that i need/don't need drivers for? Also, How can i figure out what Motherboard i have, and the specs on it?
Thanks.

PS. If i get all the driver setup.exe's on that flash drive, how can i manually install them? Or do i have to put each individual setup on a separate CD? If so, do they just auto-install? If you need more detail, just ask and i'll provide the best answer I can.


I don't see why you couldn't just drop the OS on the new drive then back up all your files to the new one from the old. If drivers are what you need then check the manufacturers website example: evga.com all of them have websites. To check you motherboard I am sure somewhere in the control panel you can check you system specs which will ultimately show what motherboard you have and its latest driver update may show under properties. Or when you boot your PC pressing the correct key to get to your BIOS should show what mobo and latest driver.

Googling where to go doesn't hurt either since all the answers are out there already. It's pretty straight forward anyhow. Also your OS should attempt to install all necessary drivers on its own for the most part if you don't have the discs for your drivers it should prompt you to go online to search for them also! Hope that helps.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 5:49:27 PM

you will need to download all of the drivers from the internet. they can be found on the manufacturers website for each of the components.

for example for your motherboard drivers go to asus.com and it will be listed under support. you will need to know the model name and what windows you are using.

the model number should be clearly listed on every single component. your motherboard should have it clearly marked somewhere on the board. other components also should have it marked. at bare minimum it will be on a sticker attached to the device.

----

recommended drivers:

-video card drivers. you can get this from evga.com (essentially it should be pretty much the same thing as what is found direct from nvidia but i always go with the vendor website if possible.

-motherboard usb drivers, chipset drivers, sata drivers, audio drivers. this will be found on asus.com

optional drivers:

-asus quickstart or any other "utilities" you see in the list of drivers to download over at asus.com under your motherboard model number.

-i also suggest downloading a pdf of the motherboard manual if you do not have it already. same location as above.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 21, 2013 5:51:21 PM

Since you have an intel motherboard windows 7 should have the internet drivers already installed. The GPU drivers can be found on Nvidia's website.

If you open you case you can usually find the motherboard model number printed on the board itself. It's location varies but it's pretty obvious in most cases.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 5:59:05 PM

ssddx said:
you will need to download all of the drivers from the internet. they can be found on the manufacturers website for each of the components.

for example for your motherboard drivers go to asus.com and it will be listed under support. you will need to know the model name and what windows you are using.

the model number should be clearly listed on every single component. your motherboard should have it clearly marked somewhere on the board. other components also should have it marked. at bare minimum it will be on a sticker attached to the device.

----

recommended drivers:

-video card drivers. you can get this from evga.com (essentially it should be pretty much the same thing as what is found direct from nvidia but i always go with the vendor website if possible.

-motherboard usb drivers, chipset drivers, sata drivers, audio drivers. this will be found on asus.com

optional drivers:

-asus quickstart or any other "utilities" you see in the list of drivers to download over at asus.com under your motherboard model number.

-i also suggest downloading a pdf of the motherboard manual if you do not have it already. same location as above.


Okay, I am going to download all the drivers, but i need to ask, How will I install these drivers once i get them downloaded? If i don't have graphics card drivers, will i be able to see my desktop, let alone my BIOS?
m
0
l

Best solution

August 21, 2013 6:02:08 PM

yes. windows itself has basic drivers which will allow you to to load into windows (albiet at a very low resolution). you can also view the bios perfectly fine.

basically what you should do is this:

-install new hdd
-start up machine
-install windows
-once in windows install vid card drivers
-restart
-install any other drivers you need to
Share
August 21, 2013 6:12:49 PM

ssddx said:
yes. windows itself has basic drivers which will allow you to to load into windows (albiet at a very low resolution). you can also view the bios perfectly fine.

basically what you should do is this:

-install new hdd
-start up machine
-install windows
-once in windows install vid card drivers
-restart
-install any other drivers you need to


Okay, That is exactly what i needed to know, thanks for your time.
m
0
l
August 21, 2013 6:39:40 PM

dont forget to click the "pick as solution" button if you found your answer so one of us gets credit.

thanks. glad to help.
m
0
l
!