Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need experts advice in building Desktop used for virtualization + Video Editing

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 22, 2013 1:49:58 AM

Hi everyone,

I need experts advice on building Desktop used mainly for Virtualization + Video Editing + some gaming.

Virtualization: I will be running a virtualization lab on it consisting of 15 active VMs at anytime (some will need at least 4 Gigs Ram). So I am thinking I will need a Motherboard with 64 Gigs ram + 6 core CPU.

I am hoping that someone can guide me to the ideal parts for such a rig as this will be my first build in a 5 years! I am hoping to keep this under £1,500

Thanks in advance for all your help.
August 22, 2013 4:09:15 AM

That looks like a good selection. 2 questions:
Last time I buit a PC I had issue fitting everything inside the case (bit small and cables were too messy.Will this case have some room to allow easy install?

I noticed you went with Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard which is similar to Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard. Assus is a bit more pricey but is there an advantage to going with ASUS? (better more performance/more room for SLI?)

And a NooB question but mother board says works with 2nd generation processors, but Core i7-3930K is 3rd generation. I am assuming that is not an issue?

Thanks for your help.
m
0
l

Best solution

August 22, 2013 10:40:22 AM

Quote:


That looks like a good selection. 2 questions:
Last time I buit a PC I had issue fitting everything inside the case (bit small and cables were too messy.Will this case have some room to allow easy install?


Thanks. Fractal R4 has plenty room behind mobo tray where you can hide cable. But best is take modular psu. That way you put in case just cable that you need in build.

Quote:
I noticed you went with Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard which is similar to Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard. Assus is a bit more pricey but is there an advantage to going with ASUS? (better more performance/more room for SLI?)


No. Gigabyte is really good. Asus is good but price is bit high side. Performance is simelar with both mobo.

Quote:
And a NooB question but mother board says works with 2nd generation processors, but Core i7-3930K is 3rd generation. I am assuming that is not an issue?


Where did you get this info? Anyway both support 3930k cpu. Maybe this is related the new coming 4930k cpu?
In month or two is coming new 4930k so maybe best wait for that? :) 
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-E-CPU...

Share
Related resources
!