HP DC 5850 SFF, mb HP 3029h, cpu support

Solution

haha, you were probably looking through all the same stuff i was, i ended up finding it in a technical guide i downloaded from the HP support site.

Keep in mind Aleksandr Vinograd, that it still may not work, OEM's often don't update software for their products to support new hardware, even if it's perfectly capable. I'd still give it a try, but just a disclaimer.

Good options:

-Phenom II x6 1065T
-Phenom II x4 925
-Athlon II x4 640

Again, any 95w will do, but...

npsgaming

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Your post is a little lacking in details. I am assuming that 5850 is a model number for the system and 3029h is the motherboard model but you should be clear about these things in the future :) .

Assuming such, the DC5850 is an AMD 780v based chipset. With some digging around, as I am NOT an AMD guy, I have discovered that this chipset is AM2 based primarily and supports first generation Athlon single and dual core cpus as well as Phenom triple and quad core cpus.

Now I get to the real downer. AM2 is a DDR2 based socket and all AM2 processors have a DDR2 memory controller. The Athlon II X3 445 you mentioned is a socket AM3 which means it has an integrated DDR3 memory controller onboard. This means that the CPU will not work with the motherboard in that chassis.

Jaxem

Honorable
It will probably work in your motherboard, but not to its full potential (slower hyper transport and memory speeds). You could put about any am3 CPU in as long as it doesn't have a TDP higher than 95w. A faster memory controller can handle slower ram just fine, not vice versa, but this sort of thing doesn't happen often because most boards don't support CPUs from the ddr2 and ddr3 eras. Your bios will be what prevents it if it doesn't work.

npsgaming

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Does it really? The DC5850 SFF??? Every piece of marketing literature I found said AM2 not AM2+ . But if its got AM2+ the go for it just keep that thermal design below 95w like Jaxem said. Anymore and it'll cook your board and cpu like fresh bacon in the morning. :D :D

Jaxem

Honorable

haha, you were probably looking through all the same stuff i was, i ended up finding it in a technical guide i downloaded from the HP support site.

Keep in mind Aleksandr Vinograd, that it still may not work, OEM's often don't update software for their products to support new hardware, even if it's perfectly capable. I'd still give it a try, but just a disclaimer.

Good options:

-Phenom II x6 1065T
-Phenom II x4 925
-Athlon II x4 640

Again, any 95w will do, but these are top choices in each category (besides the 2 and 3 core variants)

Solution