660 bottlenecked by my system on bf3?

Karlos23

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Hey there im new to pc gaming and bought a system someone built a few months ago and i decided to swap out the graphic card from 5770 to an asus gtx 660 dcu2 which was graet price for the card imo. pc specs :
Phenom ii x4 b50 @ 3.1 (apperantly this was not a quad core which, is now, due to unlocking) which is overclocked to 3.3
4gb ram ddr2
asus m4a785d m pro
My problem is with recommended settings on bf3 is high/ultra looks awesome and playing SP i get a smooth 60fps. Then MP it drops to 45. Choppy and not good to play its not what i bough a pc for. So i think ok il just lower the settings, but no change to the fps? even if i lower the res so it looks shit! still no boost in frames? And i notice my gpu usage is only 75 ish?
So what do i do? buy better fans and overclock the cpu?
Buy a new cpu? which means getting new motherboard :(
is ram the issue?
If new cpu, which one? bear in mind im a bit piised off i bought a new system and spent over a 100 quid on a card so im looking for cheap but suitable for my 660. ive heard a i5 2500k would cut it?
As i get free time only twice a week to play pc games it seems so much hassle for it but fuck going back to console lol
Hopefully experts advisors read this and help, sorry for long thread, many thanks in advance

Solution
I don't think the problem has anything to do with your specs as much as the nature of what you're doing. I get lower fps in Multiplayer too, and I just assume that it's because it's a more intensive task for your computer.

I mean, that's not a scientific appraisal or anything, but if your CPU was bottlenecking your GPU I think it would show up in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Not just one or the other. Don't you think?

Also, you should have plenty of RAM as well as processing power, but you should still check your background processes and applications for unnecessary resource hogs. Every little bit helps!

I hope you find a satisfactory solution soon!

DonQuixoteMC

Edit: I just realized how dumb my response was... New...

rockadrock1

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I wouldn't doubt that your cpu is bottlenecking your gpu. If you are only playing games and basic computer tasks, you can probably go for a lower end i5 or a higher end i3. If you are planning to overclock, go for an i5 K series chip. No need for i7.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
I don't think the problem has anything to do with your specs as much as the nature of what you're doing. I get lower fps in Multiplayer too, and I just assume that it's because it's a more intensive task for your computer.

I mean, that's not a scientific appraisal or anything, but if your CPU was bottlenecking your GPU I think it would show up in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer. Not just one or the other. Don't you think?

Also, you should have plenty of RAM as well as processing power, but you should still check your background processes and applications for unnecessary resource hogs. Every little bit helps!

I hope you find a satisfactory solution soon!

DonQuixoteMC

Edit: I just realized how dumb my response was... New Suggestion: If you can overclock, try it (in small increments, I've had hardware automatically throttled by too intense an overclock, so I lost FPS in the end.). If overclocking your CPU makes your FPS increase, then there's your answer. Sorry for the dumb original post!

Solution