Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help building first gaming pc for around £700?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 22, 2013 11:38:06 AM

So i'm new to all this and need heaps of help as i'm only familiar with laptop builds.
I'm looking to spend around £700 and play games like Bioshock infinite on high settings and watch movies mainly. What would be the best build for me, also screen quality is really important to me, are there monitors out there that can compare to the macbook retina screen in terms of screen clarity/quality or would this be out of my budget? Thanks

More about : building gaming 700

a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 11:51:36 AM

What do you want to have with your PC ? The tower itself, but then, do you need peripherals, you talk about monitors, you need to fit one in the budget ? Need an OS ?
m
0
l

Best solution

August 22, 2013 12:01:44 PM

lolums said:
So i'm new to all this and need heaps of help as i'm only familiar with laptop builds.
I'm looking to spend around £700 and play games like Bioshock infinite on high settings and watch movies mainly. What would be the best build for me, also screen quality is really important to me, are there monitors out there that can compare to the macbook retina screen in terms of screen clarity/quality or would this be out of my budget? Thanks


1) do you need a monitor? os? accessories?

if not:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£58.54 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£203.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£59.94 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.90 @ Aria PC)
Total: £607.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 20:01 BST+0100)





Share
Related resources
August 22, 2013 12:21:45 PM

Seladon said:
What do you want to have with your PC ? The tower itself, but then, do you need peripherals, you talk about monitors, you need to fit one in the budget ? Need an OS ?


Yes ideally i would like to fit the monitor into the budget but can go slightly over if it mean getting a better monitor. No I don't need an OS as i have one lying around. I'm not really including the keyboard/mouse into the price as i can get one fairly cheap
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 12:26:42 PM

Rafeed Iqbal said:
lolums said:
So i'm new to all this and need heaps of help as i'm only familiar with laptop builds.
I'm looking to spend around £700 and play games like Bioshock infinite on high settings and watch movies mainly. What would be the best build for me, also screen quality is really important to me, are there monitors out there that can compare to the macbook retina screen in terms of screen clarity/quality or would this be out of my budget? Thanks


1) do you need a monitor? os? accessories?

if not:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£58.54 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£203.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£59.94 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.90 @ Aria PC)
Total: £607.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 20:01 BST+0100)







HI this seems good. I'm not familar with AMD cpu's, how do they compare to Intel? Would there be any main advantaged in picking this gpu instead of something similar from Intel ?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 12:32:05 PM

Intel doesn't really have anything that can compete at this price point. Here is what I recommend you :

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£53.42 @ Aria PC)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£265.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.86 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£92.68 @ Dabs)
Total: £709.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 20:32 BST+0100)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 12:37:51 PM

Seladon said:
Intel doesn't really have anything that can compete at this price point. Here is what I recommend you :

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£53.42 @ Aria PC)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£265.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.86 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£92.68 @ Dabs)
Total: £709.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 20:32 BST+0100)


+1
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 12:41:53 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£58.54 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£203.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£75.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£59.94 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.90 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor (£104.00 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £711.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 20:27 BST+0100)

at the low end (sub £800) amd is extremely competitive with intel.

it's 2am here, so i'll keep it short (you can google your extra queries for short quick answers)

go intel for high end builds as their per core performance is better, so it's excellent for high fps rich peeps.

go fx 6300 for low end as it OCs very well and is very good bang for your buck.
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 12:44:58 PM

Uther39 said:
Seladon said:
Intel doesn't really have anything that can compete at this price point. Here is what I recommend you :

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1v1fX/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£53.42 @ Aria PC)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£265.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.86 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£92.68 @ Dabs)
Total: £709.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 20:32 BST+0100)


+1


hey, why no +1 for me? my build can accommodate that monitor into the budget, and it has a better PSU, Case, and a compare-able gpu.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 12:51:59 PM

The HD 7970 gives much more performance than the GTX 760. We're talking about a gaming PC, so it's really pretty much all about the GPU. A good case won't give you better in-game performances, or at least, not at this point.
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 12:58:07 PM

Seladon said:
The HD 7970 gives much more performance than the GTX 760. We're talking about a gaming PC, so it's really pretty much all about the GPU. A good case won't give you better in-game performances, or at least, not at this point.


10-30 more fps when your already above 60 fps does not matter, and is definitely not worth £60 ($100) .

plus the money he saves can be put towards the define r4, a very good loking, silent, cool, nice to work in case.
m
0
l
!