Solved

How can I Play MKV and Other FIle Types Through the Stock WMP?

I don't want to install a different player, just use Windows Media Player to play MKVs.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about play mkv file types stock wmp
  1. Janicek said:
    I don't want to install a different player, just use Windows Media Player to play MKVs.


    You will need to install a Matroska demuxer (which splits the raw MKV file into an audio stream, video stream, sub titles, etc...) as well as an appropriate decoder to handle the various streams.

    The video stream for mkv files will almost always be h263 or h264. The audio streams will usually be AC3/DTS/AAC/MP3, some of which are natively supported by WMP. There are a lot of freely available decoders which can handle a large variety of video and audio codecs including FFDshow.

    It's honestly quite a bit simpler to just install a separate player with built-in demuxers and codecs such as MPC-HC. No need to worry about DirectShow priority levels or codec registration.
  2. Best answer
    Download CCCP, its a free build of codex and will allow you to play MKVs in WMP, it also comes bundled complete with hands down the best media player out there the Media Player Classic. Its a safe download, no bloatware, adware or viruses.

    http://www.cccp-project.net/

    problem solved, you'll be able to watch any video format in WMP just fine once you get that. enjoy!
  3. ingtar33 said:
    Download CCCP, its a free build of codex and will allow you to play MKVs in WMP, it also comes bundled complete with hands down the best media player out there the Media Player Classic. Its a safe download, no bloatware, adware or viruses.

    http://www.cccp-project.net/

    problem solved, you'll be able to watch any video format in WMP just fine once you get that. enjoy!


    Will I be able to use it with my current WMP, or will I have to use the included WMP Classic?
  4. Janicek said:
    ingtar33 said:
    Download CCCP, its a free build of codex and will allow you to play MKVs in WMP, it also comes bundled complete with hands down the best media player out there the Media Player Classic. Its a safe download, no bloatware, adware or viruses.

    http://www.cccp-project.net/

    problem solved, you'll be able to watch any video format in WMP just fine once you get that. enjoy!


    Will I be able to use it with my current WMP, or will I have to use the included WMP Classic?


    you can use either. the CCCP comes with all the codex needed bundled in it. As i said you can use WMP with it just fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows MKV Media Player Windows 8