Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First PC Build Advice (Canada) - <$1000

Tags:
  • Systems
  • Build
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 22, 2013 3:13:39 PM

Hello! I’d really appreciate some advice for a desktop computer I plan to build within the next month or so. I’m completely new to this, but decided I’d give it a shot, I’m not computer illiterate. But I’m very out of touch with parts/trends etc, I want to learn :D .

I’ve been using a laptop for the past 3 years. And I’m really struggling to make sense of what would be sufficient for my needs, as pretty much anything is an improvement. So many flashy toys to consider. Part of me wants the best possible machine so I can do anything I want with it. The other side is telling me be reasonable, you're on a budget (and a student) haha.

Current laptop:
AMD Athlon II M320 2.10Ghz
4GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
1366 x 768 Resolution

Buuuuuut I've been using that ^ for a few years. Why not splurge a bit.

I already know it wont take much to improve on that ;) . (understatement).

What I’m looking for is a durable, comfortable computer that’s powerful enough to help me get started on Animation, Audio/Video Editing, Some drawing (Photoshop, Own a small Wacom tablet if that helps with resolution selection), Programming/Game Development, and something that can let me enjoy watching hd videos and gaming, that I can use for the next 3 years or so as I transition from finishing school to working (within a technology related field).

I'm an amateur, not a professional, so it doesen't have to be at that level, it's more of a hobby. Likewise with gaming, I enjoy playing RTS/Moba/RPG/MMORPG games, I don’t play many graphics intensive games, (LoL, Civ5) or to put it another way, I prefer performance over graphics. So its not a need in particular, would be really nice to be able to play everything on high - max instead of very low all the time though :) .

Ideal price would be roughly 1000 for Computer, Monitor, OS, and possibly KB/Mouse.

Requirements Below
Spoiler

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month or two

Budget Range: Ideally 700-900 for everything in the tower + Monitor/KB-Mouse/OS costs, in total with shipping/tax etc, a bit over $1000. If it comes down to it, I don't mind leaving out a KB/Mouse (can always pick up them up cheap). And I've never been one for aesthetics (so case wise).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Exploring Animation/Modelling, Gaming, Media Editing (Photoshop, Drawing, Audio/Video Editing)

Programs to Use: Adobe Suite, Paint tool SAI, Vocaloid V3, MMD, Maya (possibly)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Keyboard/Mouse: Yes, I’m very picky about these though. I play RTS/MOBA games, it's fine to leave them out though.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (?), Would I need one? or could I use the copy of W7 I have from my current laptop.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: N/A, would prefer to order in bulk for minimal shipping costs. My location is within driving distance to some parts stores in the GTA (Tiger direct etc).

Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Unsure, laptop resolutions 1366 x 768, would prefer something larger that can support 1080p :D .

Additional Comments: If it makes a difference, I’d need a WNA, not sure if that’s included with a motherboard or not. Also, my eyesights poor so a monitor that’s easy on the eyes would be nice.

Thank you so much for the help!

More about : build advice canada 1000

August 22, 2013 3:56:05 PM

Veryl said:
Hello! I’d really appreciate some advice for a desktop computer I plan to build within the next month or so. I’m completely new to this, but decided I’d give it a shot, I’m not computer illiterate. But I’m very out of touch with parts/trends etc, I want to learn :D .

I’ve been using a laptop for the past 3 years. And I’m really struggling to make sense of what would be sufficient for my needs, as pretty much anything is an improvement. So many flashy toys to consider. Part of me wants the best possible machine so I can do anything I want with it. The other side is telling me be reasonable, you're on a budget (and a student) haha.

Current laptop:
AMD Athlon II M320 2.10Ghz
4GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
1366 x 768 Resolution

Buuuuuut I've been using that ^ for a few years. Why not splurge a bit.

I already know it wont take much to improve on that ;) . (understatement).

What I’m looking for is a durable, comfortable computer that’s powerful enough to help me get started on Animation, Audio/Video Editing, Some drawing (Photoshop, Own a small Wacom tablet if that helps with resolution selection), Programming/Game Development, and something that can let me enjoy watching hd videos and gaming, that I can use for the next 3 years or so as I transition from finishing school to working (within a technology related field).

I'm an amateur, not a professional, so it doesen't have to be at that level, it's more of a hobby. Likewise with gaming, I enjoy playing RTS/Moba/RPG/MMORPG games, I don’t play many graphics intensive games, (LoL, Civ5) or to put it another way, I prefer performance over graphics. So its not a need in particular, would be really nice to be able to play everything on high - max instead of very low all the time though :) .

Ideal price would be roughly 1000 for Computer, Monitor, OS, and possibly KB/Mouse.


Requirements Below
Spoiler

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month or two

Budget Range: Ideally 700-900 for everything in the tower + Monitor/KB-Mouse/OS costs, in total with shipping/tax etc, a bit over $1000. If it comes down to it, I don't mind leaving out a KB/Mouse (can always pick up them up cheap). And I've never been one for aesthetics (so case wise).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Exploring Animation/Modelling, Gaming, Media Editing (Photoshop, Drawing, Audio/Video Editing)

Programs to Use: Adobe Suite, Paint tool SAI, Vocaloid V3, MMD, Maya (possibly)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Keyboard/Mouse: Yes, I’m very picky about these though. I play RTS/MOBA games, it's fine to leave them out though.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (?), Would I need one? or could I use the copy of W7 I have from my current laptop.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: N/A, would prefer to order in bulk for minimal shipping costs. My location is within driving distance to some parts stores in the GTA (Tiger direct etc).

Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Unsure, laptop resolutions 1366 x 768, would prefer something larger that can support 1080p :D .

Additional Comments: If it makes a difference, I’d need a WNA, not sure if that’s included with a motherboard or not. Also, my eyesights poor so a monitor that’s easy on the eyes would be nice.

Thank you so much for the help!



Would be glad to build it for you, but before I start you can't use your laptop's OS, so would you qualify for the windows 7 student discount? Also what do you mean by WNA?


m
0
l
August 22, 2013 4:31:19 PM

RazerZ said:


Would be glad to build it for you, but before I start you can't use your laptop's OS, so would you qualify for the windows 7 student discount? Also what do you mean by WNA?



Hello, and I just checked, and yes I would :D !

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade 32/64-bit (English) (Student Option)
Price: Free

Sorry, I must have used the wrong term. I'd be connecting wirelessly through wi-fi for an internet connection. My wireless card is currently broken on my laptop, so I'm using a wireless USB adapter (Netgear WNA).

Thank you for your help!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 22, 2013 4:38:29 PM

Veryl said:
RazerZ said:


Would be glad to build it for you, but before I start you can't use your laptop's OS, so would you qualify for the windows 7 student discount? Also what do you mean by WNA?



Hello, and I just checked, and yes I would :D !

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade 32/64-bit (English) (Student Option)
Price: Free

Sorry, I must have used the wrong term. I'd be connecting wirelessly through wi-fi for an internet connection. My wireless card is currently broken on my laptop, so I'm using a wireless USB adapter (Netgear WNA).

Thank you for your help!


Sadly that's the upgrade. What about the OS, any discount there?
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 4:55:37 PM

RazerZ said:
Veryl said:
RazerZ said:


Would be glad to build it for you, but before I start you can't use your laptop's OS, so would you qualify for the windows 7 student discount? Also what do you mean by WNA?



Hello, and I just checked, and yes I would :D !

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade 32/64-bit (English) (Student Option)
Price: Free

Sorry, I must have used the wrong term. I'd be connecting wirelessly through wi-fi for an internet connection. My wireless card is currently broken on my laptop, so I'm using a wireless USB adapter (Netgear WNA).

Thank you for your help!


Sadly that's the upgrade. What about the OS, any discount there?


Unfortunately, I don't think so. I do a joint program at a University and a College

The college only has the upgrade options, and the university is the same (win8 only). That sucks :( . I don't mind if your recommended build ignores the price of the OS though ($100-$120 more?) I have some flexibility, just need to know the specifics to plan it out.
m
0
l

Best solution

August 22, 2013 6:12:28 PM

Alright finally finished the build and managed to fit in everything you needed. It should run all the games you wanted on max settings with the system being overclocked. Here it is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.06 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($22.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.79 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($179.00 @ Canada Computers)
Keyboard: Logitech G105 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($54.99 @ Memory Express)
Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-4000-KLLN1-GP Wired Laser Mouse ($19.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1002.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 19:54 EDT-0400)
Share
!