How much better is the 770 compared to the 650 ti boost

Koambat_Karl

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I just upgraded to the 770 from the 650 ti boost and I really cant tell a difference in performance. I'm playing games at 1920 x 1090. Edit: I also noticed the 770 runs much hotter than my old 650 ti boost. ( i have a gigabyte windforce 770 )

Solution
The 770 has twice as many cores as the 650 Ti boost, higher clocks, and it consumes almost 100W more. It's normal for it to run hotter. As long as it's under 98 Celsius it's OK (according to the specs).

The performance should be close to double too, for example:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_650_ti_boost_review,18.html
(they don't have the GTX 770 there but they have the GTX 680, which is pretty much the same thing).

If you don't notice a difference after the upgrade, maybe you already had something like 60 fps or more? Your monitor is probably able to show only 60 (i.e. 60Hz refresh rate). Up the settings, indeed, try to get 60 fps with all the eye candy enabled.

Koambat_Karl

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

my cpu is a I5 3570k ( not overclocked but i plan to eventually. My PSU is a corsair CX 600 could it be that im not getting enough power? The windforce is getting a little over 70 C under load

You could be playing games that aren't really demanding enough for it to matter, 650ti is enough to max alot of games at that resolution, a 770 is almost twice as fast so you should notice it.

An overclocked CPU makes a big difference with cards as fast as that, all you have to do is go into BIOS and set the multiplier to 42 and you are done. CX600 is plenty for your system.

bignastyid

Titan
CPU shouldn't be bottlenecking unless its not running at full speed, PSu should be enough especially with no OC. You may not be getting enough airflow through the case to cool it better, but 70° isn't horrible it doesn't start throttling till over 90°c. What game(s) are you playing and what FPS are you getting.

The 770 has twice as many cores as the 650 Ti boost, higher clocks, and it consumes almost 100W more. It's normal for it to run hotter. As long as it's under 98 Celsius it's OK (according to the specs).

The performance should be close to double too, for example:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_650_ti_boost_review,18.html
(they don't have the GTX 770 there but they have the GTX 680, which is pretty much the same thing).

If you don't notice a difference after the upgrade, maybe you already had something like 60 fps or more? Your monitor is probably able to show only 60 (i.e. 60Hz refresh rate). Up the settings, indeed, try to get 60 fps with all the eye candy enabled.

Solution

Koambat_Karl

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

In guild wars 2 im at ultra settings but i get around 30-45 FPS in towns which is pretty disappointing after paying over 400 bucks for a GPU. Games like LoL or DOTA 2 never really were that demanding so I cant really tell and I played some splinter cell blacklist (since i got it for free ) at ultra settings. I cant tell the FPS on splinter cell but it seems smooth gameplay wise. I basically bought the GPU to get ready for FFXIV ( I did the benchmark test on maximum settings and got a score of 7713 , 7000 being the max at extremely high performance, I was hoping for a lot higher score tbh, am i expecting too much from this card?) BTW thanks to everyone for answering